This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You still hate me, but that's a-ok!

This one requires a little bit of a backstory, because I never got around to posting this story on here:

Several months ago I was seating this elderly couple at a table in the Restuarant, and I went about my duty to ask them if they would care for a drink. The lady refused anything but some hot water and cream, which I understood...The Resturant has had several complaints about the horrific motor-oil coffee that nobody likes. So, many customers had resorted to bringing in their own coffee grounds and making their own at their table.
    Anyway, I retrieved their hot water and half and half, and was about to walk away when they asked me about the coffee. It was something about the flavor/consistency, and I told them that I didn't drink coffee. They asked why, and I told them it was for a religious reason.
    And here is where the shit hit the fan:

Apparently, this old lady and her husband are avid, AVID haters of my religion. They told me I was going to hell and that I was, in essence, a heathen. (I am greatly cutting out the entire horrific conversation in which I stuck up for myself and they continually told me I was damned and that everything I believe in is crap.)

Thereafter, the couple refused to speak to me as well. They are regulars at the Resturant, and always manage to come in on my shift. So everytime I see them, I cringe a little. I half expect them to fling holy water on me or something.

Sooooo...flash foward to last week. I am at a tasty hamburger restuarant (rhymes with Endy's) with my dad and my younger brother. We're happily munching away...when to my absolute horror, the same elderly couple comes in. They took one look at me, and shook their heads. The woman gave me the dirtiest glare I have seen in a long time. I just tried to ignore their existance. The worst part of this was having to explain this incident to my dad and brother.

It gets better...they also decided to sit a table away from us, and proceeded to have a rude conversation about how much my religion sucks. It was mortifying, to say the least. If we hadn't been in public....
    check out my new blog!!!!

http://pitofdespairblog.blogspot.com/

feel free to comment/send me the links to your blog!

That really sucks. I have little patience for anyone that discriminates based on gender, religion or race (stupidity is a perfectly legitimate reason though)

There's two things I hate, people who discriminate against other people based on their culture, and the Dutch. (i probably botched the quote, but you get the idea.
    Losing faith in humanity, one customer at a time

Comment

Quoth cloudiko View Post
      I told them that I didn't drink coffee. They asked why, and I told them it was for a religious reason.
      And here is where the shit hit the fan:

Apparently, this old lady and her husband are avid, AVID haters of my religion. They told me I was going to hell and that I was, in essence, a heathen. (I am greatly cutting out the entire horrific conversation in which I stuck up for myself and they continually told me I was damned and that everything I believe in is crap.)
      On those occasions where bringing up religion could be awkward, I just tell them that I can't even stand the smell of the stuff. Admittedly, that's because coffee's an acquired taste and due to my religion, I never aquired it... but still, just being around it makes me nauseus.

Quoth cloudiko View Post
      They are regulars at the Resturant, and always manage to come in on my shift. So everytime I see them, I cringe a little. I half expect them to fling holy water on me or something.
      Let them freak about you. Kill them with kindness, and they'll wonder what you're up to.

Comment

I think next time you should walk over to them, stand by their table, and loudly (so that everyone can hear) "Why are you following me around harassing me? Have I done something to you to deserve being harassed and insulted? I mean, you're sitting over here badmouthing me so I can hear, so okay. I hear it. And I want to know why? Do you do this to everyone who does not go to your church? What kind of church encourages it's members to insult strangers?" And don't let up.

In fact, follow them out to their car still badgering them. Loudly.

They want a scene? Give them one. They'll think twice about talking to or about you ever again.

Comment

Oh Kinkoid, you have some of the best ideas, but then again, that might give the fricken old asswipes each a stroke if that were to happen.....

Just ignore them. The greater majority of the elderly are ignorant, set in their ways downright assholes. They will NEVER accept anything new and refuse to believe anything other than what they've believed for the past 1,000 years. Hell, some of them still think Eisenhower is still the president!

Do you really honestly care what a couple of old looney dinosaurs think of you? I sure wouldn't waste your time.

As much as I advocate humiliating stupid people, old people always have the excuse of being old to excuse their assholish behavior.
          You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I am not trying to start a religious debate!

Ok, with that said...
            What religion are you and why can't/don't you drink coffee?

I am really just curious.
            Thank you!

Feel free to PM me if you'd rather.
            "There is no rehab for stupidity." --Chris Rock
            "You learn something new and stupid every day you work in retail."--IhateCrappyTire

Comment

Ignore them. It makes you look like the better person.

I, also, am curious as to your religion, but it's not my business.
              Unseen but seeing
              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
              3rd shift needs love, too
              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I was brought up in a religion that didnt encourage coffee (or caffine at all) or drinking and I remember people STARING at us when my mum would ask for water or milk

WADDAYAMEN you dont drink coffee!!!
                Then they would launch into this pity filled tirade about how much she was missing out on.

She still hates the taste of it to this day, and she doesnt even go to church anymore!!
                I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Quoth ZumZum View Post
                  Ok, with that said...
                  I'm assuming Mormon. IIRC, Mormons have a prohibition against drug use including caffeine and good number of other christians, particularly conservative ones, have a problem with the Mormon church.

Comment

Well, Blas, sadly, you are probably right. Probably embarassing them, while fun, would not really fix anything in the long run.

Heck, if they are like my grandmother, they probably will have forgotten all about it by the time they got to the car.

Comment

I say, if they are doing this to you when you are not at work, and are nowhere near your workplace, then all bets are off. Either talk to them directly and let them know they're being way out of line, or perhaps get the manager of the establishment involved. You were a paying customer, too, and part of the price of the food you paid includes being able to eat unmolested by idiots.

Comment

Quoth cloudiko View Post
                        It gets better...they also decided to sit a table away from us, and proceeded to have a rude conversation about how much my religion sucks. It was mortifying, to say the least. If we hadn't been in public....
                        That would be the final straw, if this was me. I, too, happen to have a religio/philosophical orientation that about 9/10 of my neighbors would probably take an issue with. But I don't care, just so long as no one turns fool enough to publicly attack me for it. That would be a dangerous thing to do, indeed.

If that was me, I'd get up from the table and let the both of them have it for assuming that I would just sit there and receive their abuse. I'd give them such an earful that they would both leave with a permanent loss of hearing. Elderly or no.

I'm sorry this happened to you.

My only counsel here I guess is to just keep the faith.

And, if they show up again looking for trouble, give it to them.
                        Herewith, a nugget of wisdom from the very wise Mike Brady: "Alone, we can only move buckets. But if we work together, we can drain rivers."

--
                        mannabozo.wordpress.com

Comment

Quoth ZumZum View Post
                          I am not trying to start a religious debate!

Ok, with that said...

I am really just curious.
                          Thank you!
                          I was wondering the same thing. Couldn't think of any religion that bans coffee...

I dont' drink coffee, either. For one reason: I HATE COFFEE and I don't care who knows it!

I get hot chocolate at Starbucks. Oddly enough, I will drink coffee-flavored hot chocolate (Ghirardelli makes a good one) but I won't drink chocolate-flavored coffee...
                          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth trunks2k View Post
                            I'm assuming Mormon. IIRC, Mormons have a prohibition against drug use including caffeine
                            Reasonably close. Technicaly, it's specificly against coffee and tea (and other things), though the spirit of the law is often assumed to include artificially cafinated items.

I could explain in more detail, but that would involve a lengthy bit of background-- and this really isn't the place for it.

Quoth trunks2k View Post
                            and good number of other christians, particularly conservative ones, have a problem with the Mormon church.
                            It has less to do with how conservative the other churches are, and more to do with how tolerant of others they are.

Unless you're in a high-Mormon area, in which case it's how well the local Mormons learned their lessons in tolerance and love for their neighbors. In some areas, they do quite well. In other areas, well... let's just say that there's some repenting that needs to be done.

There used to be a lot more friction overall, but it's dropped off since we got bigger. It's embarrasing to call someone a cult when they have more members than you do, after all.

Comment

I am Mormon as well and have encountered similar problems (mainly with my own family but that's neither here nor there). My suggestion is next time, just say it's for health reasons. It's true and people don't screech and be nasty when you do what's good for you. Most of the time.

Comment

Working...
                              X