Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So your car doesn't 'pollute', but your kid does?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So your car doesn't 'pollute', but your kid does?

I was behind a Toyota Prius pulling into the parking lot for the area shopping center, just in front of the stores themselves. And all of a sudden, the Prius stops, well before the stop sign ahead. I thought at first that there were possibly people crossing or another car was pulling out of the parking lot ahead of them, or they were picking someone up-something to justify stopping where they did.

No, the passenger door opens up and a kids' hand reaches out, empties a can of soda, and sets the can on the ground. The car then continues going forward. Couldn't you wait until you found a trash can? Not only that, is that is littering. But you drive a Prius, so you obviously want to 'save the earth', but you let your kid litter all over it, especially leaving cans in front of other cars and for the store employees to pick up your trash.
    "We go through our careers and things happen to us. Those experiences made me what I am."-Thomas Keller

Prius owners seem to be posers.
    Unseen but seeing
    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
    3rd shift needs love, too
    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

ARRRGHHHH.

Everytime I see a f-in Prius in front of me I shudder. I swear the only people that buy them (at least around here) are total jackasses who drive 10-15 MPH under the speedlimit, take 2 miles to get up to 30mph(even though the car is capable of accelerating faster than that without flooring it), stop at GREEN lights, and generally seem to exist just to annoy the piss out everyone else unfortunate enough to be drving anywhere near them.

I have dreams where I am in that scene from Office Space, but instead of the copier (or was it a fax?) we are kicking the shit out of a Prius.

And I can't stand people who litter. Prius+Littering occupant=nemesis.
      If watermelons are made up of water, what are kumquats made up of?
      www.myspace.com/rentalracer

Comment

Quoth RentalRacer View Post
        ARRRGHHHH.

Everytime I see a f-in Prius in front of me I shudder. I swear the only people that buy them (at least around here) are total jackasses who drive 10-15 MPH under the speedlimit, take 2 miles to get up to 30mph(even though the car is capable of accelerating faster than that without flooring it), stop at GREEN lights, and generally seem to exist just to annoy the piss out everyone else unfortunate enough to be drving anywhere near them.

I have dreams where I am in that scene from Office Space, but instead of the copier (or was it a fax?) we are kicking the shit out of a Prius.

And I can't stand people who litter. Prius+Littering occupant=nemesis.
        that and the prius is ugly with a capital UG.
        "We go through our careers and things happen to us. Those experiences made me what I am."-Thomas Keller

Comment

I bet those Prius owners close their eyes when they talk and bend over to sniff their own farts, no?

I will grant that the idea of hybrid vehicles is a nifty technology, but I'm going to have to wait until the prices on those come down.

And littering is something you should be taught not to do when you are young.
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
            I will grant that the idea of hybrid vehicles is a nifty technology, but I'm going to have to wait until the prices on those come down.
            Nifty technology, yes, but because of ethanol, the price of corn has skyrocketed, meaning the price of anything that uses any kind of corn-related ingredient has (or will) gone up. This is because the US doesn't have enough dedicated farm land to sustain the demand for corn as food (both human and livestock consumption), seed for the next crop season, AND fuel. Not only that, is the federal government has subsidized the ethanol producers, so not only are you paying taxes (through your income) to fund the fuel to be produced, you pay at the pump when you buy it, so you get jacked twice.

Comment

It might not be that they want to save the earth.
              It might be that that thing gets around 60 mpg.
              "We were put on this Earth to fart around, and don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise." -Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

Quoth Gawdzillers View Post
                It might not be that they want to save the earth.
                It might be that that thing gets around 60 mpg.
                That's pretty much the reason I started looking at hybrids, the fuel efficiency. Of course, if I had the $$$ for it, I'd be getting a Lexus SC-H, which isn't in production yet. It's a sports-coupe hybrid that gets the same 30 MPG as my tiny 1.5-L engine, but it has 350+ horses.

That's MY kind of hybrid!
                Last edited by JustADude; 07-11-2007, 04:06 AM.
                ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Chances are most Prius owners are just out to make an obnoxious fashion statement, and couldn't care less about the environment. Hell that could be said of most people who flock to new technology (ps3's, iphones..)

My parents are Prius owners, and thankfully they don't act like jerks. Although I still
                  can't forgive them for stealing my dream car The electric-only mode on low speeds is sweet, feels more like a stealth craft.
                  Happiness is the exercise of vital powers along lines of excellence in a life affording you scope.

Comment

NEWSFLASH: Many are in it "Just because we wanna make a statement."

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/07/05/g...make-a-statem/

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                      I actually looked at the Prius when I bought my current car. However, once I realized that it was about ten grand more and didn't seem much roomier than my Corolla...I soon soured on that idea. Even without the hybrid technology, my Corolla gets on average about 39mpg...from a mixture of city and highway driving. Throw in the fact that Pittsburgh is hilly, and I'm not complaining...especially when you consider that Honda's 2-seater hybrid couldn't handle the hills, and it was *much* more expensive!
                      Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

I'm sorry but I don't see exactly how emptying a can of soda on the road is littering. Soda is little more than water and sugar and slightly acidic with some flavorings. It will be washed away, evaporated, or absorbed into the ground shortly. Unless you are dumping rivers of soda, I don't see it as littering any more than dumping out a bottle of water.
                        Last edited by trunks2k; 07-11-2007, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Quoth trunks2k View Post
                          I'm sorry but I don't see exactly how emptying a can of soda on the road is littering. Soda is little more than water and sugar and slightly acidic with some flavorings. It will be washed away, evaporated, or absorbed into the ground shortly. Unless you are dumping rivers of soda, I don't see it as littering any more than dumping out a bottle of water.

They didn't just dump the soda, they left the can too. That nice aluminum can that once it has been run over once or twice will be nice and sharp and probably blow out a few tires in the process.
                          The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

Quoth Banrion View Post
                            They didn't just dump the soda, they left the can too. That nice aluminum can that once it has been run over once or twice will be nice and sharp and probably blow out a few tires in the process.
                            Oh in that case, yeah, it's littering. I thought they just dumped out the soda. I missed the second part of that sentence.

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                              Even without the hybrid technology, my Corolla gets on average about 39mpg...from a mixture of city and highway driving. Throw in the fact that Pittsburgh is hilly, and I'm not complaining...especially when you consider that Honda's 2-seater hybrid couldn't handle the hills, and it was *much* more expensive!
                              If it's using the electric engine it'll be great at hills. Electric engines have no torque curve, but as soon as it switches over to the gas one it'll get mighty sluggish. Frankly I'm unimpressed with the Prius's economy, me father's 1989 Honda Civic got that kind of milage, and it weren't no hybrid. I really just wanna go electric myself, but I can't find a goddamn electric car. Maybe I'll do a conversion job, if you want anything done right you gotta do it yourself.
                              You're not doing me a favor by eating here. I'm doing you a favor by feeding you.

Comment

Working...
                              X