Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And yet more idiocy at the self-checks!

Stopped off at the local Wally World Supercenter to pick-up the few groceries I needed. None of the four self-checks were being used....in the middle of the afternoon....in the middle of summer. Yay! Although, I think this might be one of the signs of the apocalypse?! Anyway, this woman and her three, um, "offspring" (their most inoffensive word I can think of) come up and they start unloading, i.e. tossing, the stuff in their cart onto the belt behind me. Then she starts making little impatient sounds, which, in turn, makes me go slower! I get done, get out my cash, take my time getting my change and receipt. Then I look at her and say, "You know, there were three other self-checks open. There was no reason for you to be huffing and puffing your impatience behind me." This is the look on her face:

The only reason I can think of for this behavior is the "herd mentality". It's the same at work. One person comes to get checked out and suddenly the whole damn store decides they all need to get checked out at the same time.
    It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

That's funny. I would have loved to see her face.
    If you are thinking to yourself, "Hmmm, should I post this?" it should probably go HERE.

Comment

The only reason I can think of for this behavior is the "herd mentality". It's the same at work. One person comes to get checked out and suddenly the whole damn store decides they all need to get checked out at the same time.
      I notice that when I go to places. I'll be in an empty aisle to get something and then everyone and their buck-toothed grandma has to fill up the whole freakin' aisle with people and carts. And then I get fed up and have to climb over everyone just go get out of there.

Comment

Maybe the herd mentality explains why I can stand around for an hour with no customers, and then as soon as one walks in, so do five other people.

And then they get mad because there's a line, and tell me that we should have more cashiers on.

(Incidentally, its blatantly obvious that we only have one cash register, so I fail to see how more cashiers would help anyway.)

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Quoth Boozy View Post
          Maybe the herd mentality explains why I can stand around for an hour with no customers, and then as soon as one walks in, so do five other people.

And then they get mad because there's a line, and tell me that we should have more cashiers on.

(Incidentally, its blatantly obvious that we only have one cash register, so I fail to see how more cashiers would help anyway.)
          Wouldn't do them any good complaining at B&N...5 people in line per cashier is the company standard...and I could comfortably handle a few more if there were no problems ...
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

herd mentality combined with tunnel vision; a sc must.
            look! it's ghengis khan!
            Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Quoth Boozy View Post
              If it makes sense, it's not allowed™®©.

And some people complain for the sake of complaining. It's their purpose in life.
              Unseen but seeing
              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
              3rd shift needs love, too
              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Who was it that uses the self check as a way of using up her change jar? She got a customer all pissed off having to wait for her to pay with all change...when there were 3 other lanes open the SC could have used...that was one of my favorite stories.

I've never called out an SC as a customer. I wish I had the guts sometimes...
                I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth ditchdj View Post
                  I notice that when I go to places. I'll be in an empty aisle to get something and then everyone and their buck-toothed grandma has to fill up the whole freakin' aisle with people and carts. And then I get fed up and have to climb over everyone just go get out of there.
                  I go through the same thing . . . and I'll nearly have a panic attack if I have to deal with more than 2 other people on the aisle.

I really hate feeling like I'm trapped in the middle of an aisle and there's one buggy at one end and one at the other end -and BOTH are in the middle of the freaking aisle blocking traffic.
                  Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Working...
                  X