Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Look, Ebert, I don't care if the balcony's open! I'm in the line-up!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Look, Ebert, I don't care if the balcony's open! I'm in the line-up!

I'm not entirely sure if this should be in Sucky Customers, but I just saw it, so I count it as a Sighting. Here goes:

I'm at the theater tonight (Harry Potter? Don't mind if I do...) and I'm in the line for snacks with a friend. The line was moving pretty slow, but whatever, I've got time. But apparently it's time for the cashier to go home or something, because she has to close her till. Cool, no problem, she's just going to serve the rest of us in the line and go home.

The problem comes when more people come in line. Does she put up a "This till is closed sign"? Does she announce in the lobby that this till is closed? Did she even tell the new people that the line is closed?

Er, no. She tells the person at the back of the line to tell everybody that the till was closed. Well, he's not interested in doing her job, so people keep entering the line, and she keeps telling this one guy to tell tham that the line is closed--she doesn't tell the people in the line, just this one guy. And this cashier is going so slow (I'm not sure why, I was paying attention to what this guy was saying about the cashier. I won't repeat it, but I think you can guess the gist of it.) that we almost missed getting seats for the show--and we got in line 30 before showtime. It was not cool.
    I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

It sounds kind of a screwed up way of doing things - there should be another till opening to take her place. At least she was going ty=o finish serving, I don't know anyone at the cinema where I work who would do that. They just stop what they are doing and leave (not that that often affects tills, cos the managers or sups swap them over).
    "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

She definately was sucky, because she wanted a customer to do a small part of her job for her. She should've put up a sign or something.
      Unseen but seeing
      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
      3rd shift needs love, too
      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I've done that. The thing is, if it is crowded, I might not be able to catch it when people join the line, and then people get pissy when I tell them I'm closing, because my manager is already there to collect me, but I have to finish the line I already have because they've been in line for a few minutes already, and no one is coming on to replace me because it's nearing the end of the night.

Granted, I didn't do it much, maybe once or twice in the 3 1/2 years I was there, but still, there's no way to put up a sign, and if I'm serving people as fast as I can, there's no way to catch everyone who's trying to get into my line (I was always put closest to the door because I was one of the faster workers).
        Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

I do that all the time, since turning my light off is not enough for people to realise I'm closed, and sometimes the line is too long for me to let newcomers know.
          Thankfully everyone I've ever asked has been really nice and complied. A few have even enjoyed being able to turn people away; like they had some sort of authority.
          Whatever, as long as I get my lane closed and can go home they can feel however they want about it.

Comment

She was not entirely sucky. Yeah she could have a sign up, but at the same time she did tell a customer to let people know. I had a cashier tell me to let people know before also. Some times, you gotta do things a little different, to get the job done.
            Under The Moon Paranormal Research
            San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

You know what would fix line issues? Force fields. Think about it!

You're abou to close and want to keep new people out of your line? Turn on your handy-dandy force field. Plus it would be gratifying to watch certain people walk into invisible walls.

Of course there would be signage, but no one pays attention to signs anyway.

Comment

Quoth coldcupofjoe View Post
                You're abou to close and want to keep new people out of your line? Turn on your handy-dandy force field. Plus it would be gratifying to watch certain people walk into invisible walls.

Of course there would be signage, but no one pays attention to signs anyway.
                Sadly, I can see people discovering a way to ignore a force-field. How, I don't know, but they do.
                I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

two ways:
                  1. they're so dense they can just walk through.
                  2. "I disbelieve the force field!"

Sorry, inside joke
                  Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Working...
                  X