This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• But it has a window tag!

This is one of my dad's sightings that dates back to before he broke his hip. It's one that still has me scratching my head.

To make this easier to read, there are a few things you ought know.

1.) My father was once an over the road truckdriver. (just before I was born)
    2.) He still has the "look" of a driver. (if there is a look)
    3.) He is handicapped due to a doctor without a liscense. (long story I won't go into)

My dad is walking out of our local Wal-Mart one day when he looks up to see a truck parked in the "Van" handicapped parking space. Now I'm not talking a pickup. No, this is a full sized kenworth dual axle tractor. A BIG truck. Needless to say, this caught my dad's eye. Walking closer he does a quick circuit around the truck and as he nears the front he notes that hanging from the truck's rear view mirror, is one of those "Handicapped" window tags. At this point, dad said that several things went through his head, primarily wondering how someone who was handicapped could get a CDL in the first place. As he's standing there, this cop pulls up and walks over to him. "You need to move it" the cop tells dad. Looking over dad shakes his head. "It's not my truck. I was just looking at it." Now the cop doesn't seem to buy this at first, but eventually he relents. Pointing up to the truck, dad smiles. "It's legal though." The cop blinks and looks up, sees the tag and looks back at dad as he continues. "Personally" dad says with a smile. "I kinda wonder how they got one of those in the first place." The cop smiles some and crosses his arms. "I wonder too...and I'm going to wait here till they come out and find out!"

Anyone else have similar happen? A strange vehicle parked someplace, or just something that doesn't quite make sense?
    Learn wisdom by the follies of others.

I've seen that - and it's been *ME* that was responsible for it.

A few years back, I managed to partially tear all the ligaments in my left knee. It was the same year I was doing a lot of autocrossing with my old RX-7. With a manual.

While I couldn't walk very well without a cane, I could work the clutch for a little bit on a weekend. And I did have a handicap pass that most of the time was in the daily driver, but would come with me into the RX when I drove it. The car sat in the driveway most of the summer as there was no way I could even do a regular rush-hour with it.

So, one day, after one day out autocrossing, I stopped by the local beer store on the way home. Park in the handicap spot, hobble in, get the beer and head back to the car.

For those of you not familiar with an RX-7, it's a 2-seat hatchback. So, I put the beer in the back, and toss the cane in between the seats so it's easy to get to when I get out, and not a pain when I'm getting in.

Hobbling back to the driver's side door, I get in, start the motor and get ready to pull over.

And here comes this security guard with a "I got you now, sucker!" look on his face. Guess he saw the nose of the sports car and me getting into it without seeing me with the cane.

All I do is smile politely, and point to the permit in the dash.

At which point his face fell to a "Have a nice day, sir" sort of look.

Oh well. At least I kept a straight face until I pulled out of the parking spot.

B
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
    I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

Repsac, it's a shame your dad didn't hang around to find out, too. I'm DYING of curiousity.
      Unseen but seeing
      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
      3rd shift needs love, too
      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
      X