This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retun Suckage

I was picking up BloodBrother from his job in the warehouse at one of the Big Mall Department Stores when I walked into this one:

A 40-something woman was complaining about a 15% restocking fee on a lawnmower that she was returning because it was too heavy and awkward for her to push. Since BB was assigned to load (or in this case unload) vehicles, he couldn't leave until it was decided if it would be returned or not, so I got to stick around and listen.

In the course of the discussion she mentioned that nobody told her about the restocking fee, and that's why she was upset. The MoD was using the Corporate Policy and It's On The Receipt defenses and the woman eventually gave in, though with some understandable bad grace since she was out $45.

When we were leaving, I mentioned to BB that I hadn't seen anything about the restocking fee posted on the Return Policy signs at any of the registers or in the pickup center, and he confirmed that it wasn't posted!

Honestly, I think the company were the Sucky ones in this case. They make no mention of the fee except on the receipt, which you don't get until after you've paid, and that just reeks of money-grubbing asses in the corporate office.
    ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
    And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

You know, if it really IS only posted on the recipts, and not with any other signage about returns (I don't wanna believe they're that stupid at corp, but we all know they are) then a person could probably argue that the company unilaterally changed the sales contract after it was completed, which is illegal, as the customer isn't getting anything in return for the change. That'd be a fun lawsuit to watch.
    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
      You know, if it really IS only posted on the recipts, and not with any other signage about returns (I don't wanna believe they're that stupid at corp, but we all know they are) then a person could probably argue that the company unilaterally changed the sales contract after it was completed, which is illegal, as the customer isn't getting anything in return for the change. That'd be a fun lawsuit to watch.
      Yup. Exactly what I was thinking. I just didn't know the legalese for it.
      ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
      And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Yes and no. I don't believe there is any legal requirement that a company allow returns at all, though this probably varies with your state/country/whatever (with a few exceptions, mostly in high-ticket items). So allowing returns at all, with any fee, is still a benefit for the customer.

Comment

Quoth Gurndigarn View Post
          Yes and no. I don't believe there is any legal requirement that a company allow returns at all, though this probably varies with your state/country/whatever (with a few exceptions, mostly in high-ticket items). So allowing returns at all, with any fee, is still a benefit for the customer.
          However, (and JustaDude can clarify this) it seems to me that there is A policy posted, just one that doesn't include that fact. So since if it is posted in a conspicuous place, then it becomes part of the implied contract, which can't be unilaterally changed after the purchase has occured.
          Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Would it be safe to assume (if it ever is...) that nowadays most places charge restocking fees, posted or not?
            Unseen but seeing
            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
            3rd shift needs love, too
            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

When I bought my Garmin GPS at Best Buy, they put a sticker on the box stating a 15% restocking fee, in such a way that you need to break that sticker in order to open the box.

Comment

I would have to say that they are the sucky ones. I mean, it is only on the receipt, and not on any other signs.
                Under The Moon Paranormal Research
                San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Working...
                X