Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I sometimes say "indeedy" to make American friends chuckle, but it's not a normal word of mine.

However, I do have a quiet snicker when I see Americans calling each other "cigarette" (fag) or "donkey hole" (asshole). And don't forget the word "pants"; to us English people, that's your underwear.

Also, my American pals laugh when I use the word "knickers" for some reason. Anyone care to explain what's so funny about "knickers"? O_o
    People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
    My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
      And don't forget the word "pants"; to us English people, that's your underwear.
      I can't comment on knickers, because one of my expressions to one of my lesser-gifted coworkers (who has a nasty temper) is "don't get your knickers in a knot, dear".

Chris (teh bf) doesn't swear... so when one of us would normally shout out "shit" or something else, he says "donkey!" or "pants!" teehee it kills me
      GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
        Also, my American pals laugh when I use the word "knickers" for some reason. Anyone care to explain what's so funny about "knickers"? O_o
        Because the word is just... funny... to us. Something about the phonetics of it just makes us Yanks want to laugh.
        ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
        And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Quoth cinema guy View Post
          I've never heard that one. Please explain.
          Blackbox. How to put it.....a blond who's curtains do not match the carpet. Blackbox.

Comment

Now I understand. Thanks.

Although I'm assuming you would have to have (umm) intimate knowledge before you could call someone that. Or is it a slur of some kind?
            "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

*dies* I just caught my boyfriend saying "Righty Ho" to his housemate *SNICKER*
              GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Working...
              X