This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You're welcome!

Leaving the mall this evening I saw a woman with a baby stroller coming toward the door from the other side. So I walked out quickly and held the door for her (it opens out). She walked through, as did her friend, and they kept chatting to each other. Neither one of them said thank you or so much as acknowledged me with a nod or a look or anything. I hate that.

On a side note, I have a headache, which I didn't have before I went to the mall. I hate the mall. I'm going to bed.

I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

It's important that somebody be recognized for doing something polite, especially when a lot of people aren't. Pardon my French, but that lady was nothing but a rude bitch.
    "If you are planning not to tip, please let your server know before ordering so they can decide whether or not to wait on you" - from an advice column I read some time ago

Comment

That happens at the factory a lot too after work.

If I hear footsteps behind me, I leave the door open for the next person.

There are some real....errr.....gentlemen at that factory. They'll fling the door open just for themselves and not leave it open for anyone else.

Hope they don't treat their wives that way. Jerks.
      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Whilst we were in Vegas for my brother's wedding, one night we rode the train from... the Monte Carlo, to wherever the hell it goes... These two girls are walking along behind me. And I'm way the hell out front of the family, cause they were walking slowly so Grandma could keep up. Not me, I've got freakishly long legs, so my strides take me along much faster. I open the door to the train, step through, and forget about the door. The two girls yell at me, "Thanks for holding the door, Sexy!" while I'm standing on the other side of the glass, looking to see how far ahead of the family I am. Just our luck, they get on the same car of the train, and hold a conversation at the top of their shrill, whiny voices with some older lady in the car. About how great a place Dick's Last Resort is, and how perverse the waiters there are, and how the straw in the drink one of them is drinking looks like a nice, long dick. They were obviously drunk off their asses by that point.
        My original thought as they yelled at me was to turn to them and say, "Obviously, you are mistaken. I am NOT sexy, and I did NOT hold the door for you bitches."
        "I call murder on that!"

Comment

When I open the door for someone and they don't thank me I say, loudly, "you're welcome". Just to embarrass them. Freaking assholes.

Comment

While it IS nice to get a "thank you" for holding the door for someone (and I ALWAYS make sure I say it), you shouldn't hold it JUST to get a thank you.

Does that make sense?
            Unseen but seeing
            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
            3rd shift needs love, too
            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth draftermatt View Post
              When I open the door for someone and they don't thank me I say, loudly, "you're welcome". Just to embarrass them. Freaking assholes.
              actually i did that but they didn't hear me, i'm sure...

While it IS nice to get a "thank you" for holding the door for someone (and I ALWAYS make sure I say it), you shouldn't hold it JUST to get a thank you.
              i didn't do it for the recognition just because she had a big stroller and since the door opens out that makes it more difficult. it annoys me but i won't stop doing it for people when the opportunity arises

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                i didn't do it for the recognition just because she had a big stroller and since the door opens out that makes it more difficult. it annoys me but i won't stop doing it for people when the opportunity arises
                Oh, I wasn't directing that statement at you, personally. Just in general.

And I'm the same way, believe it or not. (Politeness was bred into me.)
                Unseen but seeing
                RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I don't ooh and ahh over babies or children (sorry, I'm just not into it) and I can't stand mothers who think the world revolves around them and their preciouses and are oblivious to people and things around them. Like watching that you don't hit someone else's car door as you retrieve junior from her car seat. Or interupting me while I'm having an adult conversation with you to make kissy noises at the baby sitting next to us. Grr. But I am polite and courteous 99% of the time, and yes that includes mothers and children.

Once while approaching the double doors that opened into my nearest mall, I saw that there was a woman on my right with a baby stroller, and a woman directly in front of me coming outside the left door, also with a baby stroller. So I let the woman on the right enter through the door on the right, (I think someone else was with her to get her door) and I opened the door in front of me to allow the woman coming out the left door an easier time exiting. I was slightly stressed at being slowed down, because I was in a hurry, but I was maintaining patience. Untill these two moms stopped in the middle of the doorway to discuss and admire each other's babies!!!

I stood there with a blank 'this isn't happening look on my face, sort of frozen and wondering how long it would take them to come to reality. Finally one laughingly pointed out that they were blocking BOTH doors and they carried on about their ways. I don't remember if anyone said thank you or I'm sorry. At that point I didn't care, I just wanted to get away from them and their short-sightedness and get on about my business. Grr. Wonder if I could get away with showing off pictures of my cats to strangers while blocking the entrance to the grocery store? (Yes I do carry them in my wallet, along with other pics too.)
                  Last edited by jayel; 08-31-2007, 04:15 PM.
                  I HATE stupid people!

Comment

Quoth jayel View Post
                    I don't ooh and ahh over babies or children (sorry, I'm just not into it) and I can't stand mothers who think the world revolves around them and their preciouses and are oblivious to people and things around them.
                    Preach on! I, too am not into kids(I don't hate them, I just don't go weak-kneed when I see them). Anyone who expects to be placed higher than another or given preferential treatment simply because of their status as a parent get the big one finger salute from me. Call me an asshole if you must.
                    I know nothing and I can prove it!

Comment

Quoth Jadedcarguy View Post
                      Preach on! I, too am not into kids(I don't hate them, I just don't go weak-kneed when I see them). Anyone who expects to be placed higher than another or given preferential treatment simply because of their status as a parent get the big one finger salute from me. Call me an asshole if you must.
                      No, I'm not going to call you anything. I like kids (and have a large family of my own), but... to me, they don't even begin to get interesting until they start to walk. And you can't really treat them as friends instead of progeny (which is what I think is worthwhile about the whole thing) until they're at least partway through their teen years and start taking on independence.

Comment

Quoth Gurndigarn View Post
                        No, I'm not going to call you anything.
                        My heart just swelled three sizes.....
                        I know nothing and I can prove it!

Comment

Quoth jayel View Post
                          Wonder if I could get away with showing off pictures of my cats to strangers while blocking the entrance to the grocery store? (Yes I do carry them in my wallet, along with other pics too.)
                          May I see?
                          Unseen but seeing
                          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Ever see the episode of Seinfeld with the ugly baby?
                            You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I love kids, and if I see little ones in strollers I will look, and if they are looking at me I will smile and say hi and wave to them as I go by, but I won't stop traffic just to interact with some stranger's kid. And if I were to run into someone I know with their little ones I would make sure to step to the side to talk/fawn.

Comment

Working...
                              X