This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spotted at the Faire

Little backstory. My hunny and I were roaming around the Renaissance Faire. We both happen to really enjoy the falconer show. We attended all three, and went to check out the birds in between showings.

I have two amusing tidbits to share:

1) So, hunny and I are standing by the fence, watching the Eagle Owl. A little nuisance manages to squeeze himself in front of us. We're fine with that, he's little, we figure we'll just back up so he can get a better look.

He starts leaning on the fence...which is leaning precariously and barely holding up. We see no evidence of a parent nearby. The bird at this point is nearly within touching distance, and we fear that if this kid breaks the fence, he's gonna fall right on the owl. A sibling comes up and gets him to back off the fence, thankfully. But then, he starts SCREECHING at the owl! LOUDLY. Repeatedly.

Finally, his mum comes charging up to him, grabs him by the wrist and says to him, "That's IT! You stop that RIGHT NOW! If you EVER do that again, you will NEVER go near another bird! You apologize to that bird RIGHT NOW! You tell that nice bird that you are sorry!"

Go Mom!

2) During the show, the Royal Falconer brings out one of his two Eagle Owls. As he's talking about him, the bird starts to make some noise. Some kid thinks it's funny to mimic the bird and be loud and annoying. Obviously, the kid just doesn't know any better, so our hero the falconer takes this as an opportunity to teach a lesson about how to treat birds of prey...

He notices the child and asks him if he'd like to come volunteer for the show.

The kid comes running up all excited... The falconer asks him his name, and asks us to cheer for him.

Then, he informs the kid that he's going to get a new name for his role in the show...
    and asks him if he'd like that. The kid of course nods...

So he tells him his new nickname is 'Owl Food.'

To which the kid goes running back to his parents and stops making owl noises...
    As his parents and everyone else laugh hysterically.

I love the Faire!
    Last edited by DesignFox; 10-24-2007, 12:38 AM.
    I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Does the falconer have kids? if so I'd put money on they being reasonably well behaved!
    A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

I feel sorry for the kid.
      For the second part, not the first.
      "We were put on this Earth to fart around, and don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise." -Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

Don't feel too bad, Gawdzillers. The kid in Part 2 was old enough that it was funny... and it was said jokingly. He did beat feet back to his parents, but I don't think that he really believed he would be fed to the owl.

I guess you had to be there...and if you ever see this guy's show, he likes to tell jokes. He's very good natured about the whole thing.
        I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

It's part of the faire atmosphere. You'd have to be there to appreciate.

*Luna always misses the ren faires*
          If you are thinking to yourself, "Hmmm, should I post this?" it should probably go HERE.

Comment

My mom and I took my daughter up to the zoo last year. This particular zoo has quite a few birds that were injured and can't be released back into the wild. They do presentations with the birds, and have the bird they are talking about perched on their arm. This one young lady had a red-tailed hawk out and was showing him to everybody there. I lost track of the amount of idjits who got WAY to close to this poor bird. The young lady kept backing up until she was pinned to a fence, and still couldn't get the people to back up. She and my mom and I were all saying loudly "It's still a wild animal and it does NOT like you in it's space. BACK UP!!!" And yes, these were the parents, not the kids.

Kudos to the falconer for getting his point across!!

Comment

I'm sure the owl appreciated the apology.

Comment

Quoth DesignFox View Post
                Little backstory. My hunny and I were roaming around the Renaissance Faire. We both happen to really enjoy the falconer show. We attended all three, and went to check out the birds in between showings.
                The Faire in PA? I was, begrudgingly, there this past sunday.

Comment

Yes, that one Trunks!

My hunny isn't crazy about it, either. But we do agree on which shows to watch...so he had a good time despite being there "begrudgingly" as well.

Comment

I like the Renaissance Faire, simply for the fact that you can find all the basic Carnie Food Groups there.
                    Fried dough, Fried Oreos, Fried bananas, and Root Beer/Coke/Cherry soda floats.
                    Last edited by Gawdzillers; 10-27-2007, 10:38 PM.
                    "We were put on this Earth to fart around, and don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise." -Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

I love the atmostphere...the food, the animals, the costumes, the neat renaissance "stuff"... *sigh*

And I do love the signs at the booths and their sayings relating to bad customers. You really can't get away with being rude in any fashion at the Faire. It's awesome.

Comment

Quoth DesignFox View Post
                        I love the atmostphere...the food, the animals, the costumes, the neat renaissance "stuff"... *sigh*
                        I enjoy Ren Faires too. We used to go to the Arizona Renaissance Festival when we lived in Phoenix. They had a falconry exhibition there as well, and I really enjoyed that. Don't know if it's the same person, but it was very informative as well as entertaining.

Went to the Shrewsbury Renaissance Festival this year. Not as big, not as many shows, but still enjoyable.

To find a Faire near you (in the USA), check this site out: http://www.renfaire.com/Sites/ Sometimes the smaller Faires are more enjoyable than the large, crowded ones.
                        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                        My LiveJournal
                        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I missed going to the Pa Faire this year. Ahwell, maybe next year!

Comment

Working...
                          X