Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• possible misogyny at the post office

Some site for reviews and some dude posted about our local post office:

Was there to drop off my Amazon return via USPS. The gentleman was professional and kind to help me and walk me through the process. He then gave me "clear tape" to tape up my open (the original amazon) bag. The female employee scolded at both of us (customer and male employee) saying that "he was NOT ALLOWED to give "clear tape" to customer to use to tape up their Amazon bag or use it at all. It's only for first class use. Next time i need to bring in my own tape!" Yet, the female employee was using the same tape taping up another customer's mail as well. Again, this was ONLY a piece of tape. This employee is supposedly the mother of another employee (daughter) that works at the [THIS CITY] post office!!
    My reply:

I am not defending her attitude if that was rude but your efforts to make us aware of who is female and male are telling. If she was using tape on the other customer's *first class mail* she was following policy, as was stated. Maybe you don't like when women are right about things.
    Before you say I'm reading into it, this phrasing stands out:
    The female employee scolded at both of us (customer and male employee)
    I hope I'm wrong about the thinking of the reviewer.
    I'd say just tell the supervisor that this employee sounded rude to that employee and leave it at that. Maybe she was the guy's supervisor. Correction should be polite but correction isn't a bad thing. It helps us do better.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Misogyny or micro-managing? Hmmm...
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Also I fail to see why it matters if they're the mother of another member of staff or not, or why it matters that said offspring is also a woman. Smells like someone trying to get multiple people in trouble, harassed, or both.
      This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
      I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

I think your instincts are spot on, personally.
        Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

I didn't get the sense that they were mentioning that to be misogynistic, but just to differentiate them.Perhaps it's because I do a lot of customer service reviews where we must be specific and accurate in phrasing:if the male employee was professional and helpful and the female employee wasn't then that's what should be recorded. It doesn't say anywhere that the female employee was unprofessional because they were female and you can't assume that 'it isn't said, but we know what is being implied here'. It doesn't even say anywhere(unless I missed it) that the poster was male.

I read this part 'the female employee scolded at both of us (customer and male employee)' as criticising them because they were being rude to both staff AND customers and to distinguish exactly who was being rude to whom*.

The one detail missing is about the other customer's mail-if that was not going first class,then I'm siding with the customer.If an employee is telling another employee that they're not allowed to do something, but they're doing the same thing themselves,then there had better be a good reason for that.

As for :' This employee is supposedly the mother of another employee '.... is there some sort of doubt that they actually are the mother?

hey look it's a whom! how very mediaeval...
          The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Working...
          X