This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Take it Back (longish)

Happy Fun Balls post reminded me of an experience I had at a burger and shake joint and I wouldn't be surprised to find out if it was the same chain

In any case we were in town in Joliet IL for a LAN get together from a group that we played online games with. There were about 70 people in attendance playing online shooter games and other team based multi player games. All sorts of good fun. This is really only relevant to the story to set the stage for how many people were around.

In any case after night one of said event many (about 20 or so) hit up the burger joint across the street from the hotel where the event was being held at. The manager of this restaurant had left a stack of coupons near the entrance to the conference hall we had rented to be passed out to the attendees, pretty good marketing idea on his part as I know everyone at the event went at least once with the coupon and every so often some people would get up and come back with milkshakes from this same establishment.

So I was with the group that went after night one of the event, it was about midnight or 1am and this particular restaurant was advertised as being open 24 hours and was the only place open within a reasonable distance from the hotel.

So we order, get our food, not so bad. We order desert and I get the strawberry shortcake (I love strawberries ) Now I don't normally like whipped cream, but I did not ask for the desert sans whipped cream because its ok in small amounts with strawberries, but for things like milkshakes or ice cream I can't stand it. So out comes the waiter with the desert and its piled up with quite a few extra strawberries and whipped cream practically making a small mountain on top. The desert was quite literally buried in whipped cream to the point where I couldn't see the fruit or the cake under it.

W: Waiter
    Me: (sadly eyeing the travesty of a desert but keeping my cool sort of)

This dialog isn't exact since it was over two years ago when this happened but the gist is as close to what I can remember.

W: Dude I hooked you up.

Me: I'm sorry can I get a normal one? I really don't like this much whipped cream.

Now this honestly is where this exchange should end with him either taking it back and making a normal one, or just going and dumping the whipped cream in the sink in back or something. At this point all I had was the desert bowl and no spare plates or anything to scrape it onto or I would have done it myself. But sadly this is not how things played out.

W: But dude... I hooked you up....

Me: Look I appreciate that and if I had anything other than the table to scrape the whipped cream on to I wouldn't mind. But I really wouldn't be able to eat it with this much whipped cream on it. Can you please just make a different one or at least go scrape it off?

To make a long dialog short the waiter argued with me about it for another minute or so till I finally lost my cool.

Me: Look man, I'm sorry I don't think I'm being very unreasonable here. In fact I don't want it any more just take it back.

W: But... look man I'm sorry I was just trying to do something nice for you.

Me: I understand that and you don't seem to be listening to me. All I am asking for is to get it without this mountain of whipped cream on it. If thats too hard for you to remedy then I don't need it anymore.

In the end I ended up talking to a manager, explained the situation. Not sure but I'm pretty sure the waiter got chewed out and the manager gave me a free normal short cake in a to go container when we cashed out.

We went in on the last day of the event just before hitting the road to go home and the manager apologized to me again about the problem we had and thanked us for coming back. I just said it wasn't an issue and aside from that one bad experience the food was good and they had excellent service other wise.
    Last edited by Chanlin; 01-04-2008, 04:26 PM. Reason: spelling

Oh man, too bad I wasn't there. I love that on strawberry shortcake.

I'd have taken it and bought you a new one built to your specs.

I agree on milkshakes ... YUCK.
    "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Was it necessary that he take it back? I mean, couldn't you have just scooped the whipped cream off yourself?

Comment

Quoth rerant
        Was it necessary that he take it back? I mean, couldn't you have just scooped the whipped cream off yourself?
        Quoth Chanlin View Post

Now this honestly is where this exchange should end with him either taking it back and making a normal one, or just going and dumping the whipped cream in the sink in back or something. At this point all I had was the desert bowl and no spare plates or anything to scrape it onto or I would have done it myself. But sadly this is not how things played out.

Another possible option would be to ask for another bowl or plate to scrape the excess onto. But, in any event, the waiter should have immediately fixed the problem himself once he was informed that it WAS a problem. Yea, he had good intentions, but I'm sure we all know that old saw about what road is paved with those.
        You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Working...
        X