This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The stupid is strong!!!!

Okay, I can reveal this much without getting fired...

I work for the local Hydro company (for the American's, that's electricity, not water... I have encountered confusion on that subject in the past).

Recently, we changed not only our computer system, but the appearance of our bills as well. To make things easier for the unwashed masses we provide our product to, we sent out an insert in September's bill, October's bill, November's bill, December's bill, and in January, a brand-spanking NEW insert with an example of the bill on it to explain all the nifty-new features and changes.

Many customers have called, asking why we sent them two bills (as soon as they mention the amount, we know they're talking about the insert and explain to them that it's not a bill, it's just an example, and they can safely ignore it). However, no fewer than EIGHT of our customers have cut out the "return portion" of the example - which was printed DIAGONALLY on the inside of the fold-out insert, not really in the same format as a real bill at all - and mailed it in with a cheque attached. Even though it doesn't have THEIR name on it (it's a generic John Smith type thing), doesn't have their address or account number, and it's for a rather high amount that most residential accounts don't use in six months, let alone on one bill.

The mind simply boggles....
    GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Yeah..

And YOU are the $#%holes for sending them a "Useless Bill"...

Comment

Quoth tollbaby View Post
      I work for the local Hydro company (for the American's, that's electricity, not water... I have encountered confusion on that subject in the past).
      As a Yank, I just have to ask: how did that term end up being used for electricity? I'm just having trouble seeing how a term traditionally used for water could be used for shooting electrons through metal.

Comment

Because our main source of power here is hydroelectric dams Thus "hydro" ALL the electricity companies in Ontario and Quebec have "Hydro" in their name and everything
        GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Quoth tollbaby View Post
          Because our main source of power here is hydroelectric dams Thus "hydro" ALL the electricity companies in Ontario and Quebec have "Hydro" in their name and everything
          The only reason I know about Hydro-Québec is that they supply much of our electricity down here, and anything that goes on with them tends to make our local news as a result.
          "Well, ergo cogitum daltitum e pluribus shut your piehole." -Mike Rowe

Comment

*winks* shhhhh
            GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Quoth tollbaby View Post
              Ah, right. For some reason, I was placing you on the east side of the pond, which, to the best of my knowledge, doesn't have all that many dams.

Comment

I got the hydro reference immediately. But then, my father ran hydro-electric dams for the US government for 30 years.

My sister's ex husband was not very bright. He used to do stuff like that all the time. He was the most annoying person in the world come bill time, because he was so paranoid that companies were trying to steal his money that he would sit down with the utility bills, and meticulously read each and every insert that came with them, and then call the utility company and ask lots of inane questions about the inserts, all because he *had* to be sure they weren't trying to get more of his hard earned money than he owed them. He rarely understood what any of the inserts were about, and I guarantee you if he had an insert with a fake bill on it he would have called in claiming they sent him two bills. I just know he would have. Oh Bog he drove us nuts. I'm so glad my sister is shut of him.
                Because as we all know, on the Internet all men are men, all women are men and all children are FBI agents.

Comment

I can't say I'm terribly surprised. Not long ago, a big credit card scam was busted. The scammers would charge random cards small amounts, along the lines of $4.95 per month. If the charges were disputed, they would reverse the required six months previous charges with out fighting it. That's how they got away with it for so long, really. Even with the reversals, they made off with several million dollars due to people not looking at their statements.
                  The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                  "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                  Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Ha!

At least they overpaid!

Comment

I feel for you and anyone else who works at the electric company.

In Wisconsin, it's illegal to shut off power during the winter. From either November or December until April 1. So technically, if someone didn't want to pay their electric bill, they wouldn't have to. It just keeps accumulating and accumulating, and if they don't pay by April 1, then and only then can they shut the power off.

And believe you me, a lot of people end up shut off because of non-payment on April 1.
                      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Yeah, we have the same rule here It's because so many people rely on electric heat. (which is RIDICULOUSLY expensive... but still cheaper than natural gas)
                        GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Working...
                        X