This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When Morons Shoplift

This is from a friend; she called and related it because she couldn't quite believe it.

She works at a Halmark and her fiance works at a Gamestop two stores down. That sets the scene.

The characters have little dialogue, so need no names besides our main protagonist, B and the fiance, P.

B gets a call at the registers from the guy watching the security tape, and tells her that the woman that just walked out the door stuffed something up her shirt. He adds that B should go after her and ask to look in her bag. B sighs, since the guy is in charge, and pursues the woman, asks her to hold on one minute. The woman replies, "I don't have time for this shit!" and then jumps in the passenger side of a nearby car. The driver nearly runs B over backing out, but she gets their license plate number and, thoroughly shaken, goes back inside and calls P.

"Hey, that sounds like a woman that was in my store about an hour ago," says P, and, upon reviewing the tapes, sure enough, it was the same woman. P's tape reveals that the woman was traveling with two others (one of whom I'm sure was the driver). They came in together and left together.

Here's where it gets stupid. One of the woman bought something at P's store and used a debit card, with her name on it. The other one wrote a check with, not only her name as we all know, but her address and driver's license number as well.

Now, if you're going to shoplift from a store, why would you leave so much information at a store two shops down? Typically, when one place in a shopping center gets stolen from, they let everyone else in that center know, particularly if they're smaller shops. Why would you bother giving one of those stores so much information about yourself if you plan on stealing some of those stupid overpriced Vera Bradley bags two stores down?

They called the cops, and I bet those morons are thrown in the clink by the time I'm eating breakfast tomorrow.
    Would you like a Stummies?

OK, I know those bags are popular and all, and they're spendy so they must be good () but frankly I think they're ugly.
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

When I was working the counter at the adult store, I had a guy buy some arcade tokens with a credit card, watch me write his ID number across the top of the slip, and then steal a magazine in front of me... I called the non-emergency police number and told the dispatcher "Okay, I've got a good one for you..."
      Haikus are easy
      But sometimes they don't make sense
      Refrigerator

Comment

I remember the good ol' days when shoplifters actually put some THOUGHT into it.
        Unseen but seeing
        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
        3rd shift needs love, too
        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth MCSledgehammer View Post
          When I was working the counter at the adult store, I had a guy buy some arcade tokens with a credit card, watch me write his ID number across the top of the slip, and then steal a magazine in front of me... I called the non-emergency police number and told the dispatcher "Okay, I've got a good one for you..."
          I lol'd
          We Pick Up the Pieces

Comment

Quoth marty View Post
            THe adds that B should go after her and ask to look in her bag. B sighs, since the guy is in charge, and pursues the woman, asks her to hold on one minute. The woman replies, "I don't have time for this shit!" and then jumps in the passenger side of a nearby car. The driver nearly runs B over backing out
            I've said this before, and I'll say it again: this is a perfect example of why you do NOT pursue shoplifters. B should have flatly refused to do so for her own safety. Who's to say the shoplifter isn't armed? And certainly whatever was stolen isn't worth getting hit by a car over.

Just get as thorough a description as you can - a plate number if possible - and call the police.
            "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Quoth MCSledgehammer View Post
              yeah, the guy's a moron. but unless you catch him leaving the store with the merch and detain him for cops, there's not a lot police can or will do.

which suggests the guy was not so much a moron as just really brazen. like he knew that by the time cops got called, he'd be long gone.

and so they know his name and address? if he denies everything, that's the end of the matter.

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
                I've said this before, and I'll say it again: this is a perfect example of why you do NOT pursue shoplifters. B should have flatly refused to do so for her own safety. Who's to say the shoplifter isn't armed? And certainly whatever was stolen isn't worth getting hit by a car over.

Just get as thorough a description as you can - a plate number if possible - and call the police.
                She was caught off guard by one of her bosses screaming at her over the phone to go after the woman. It was one of those moments where you forget your own safety because you were told to do something by a higher-up.

She told me she couldn't believe she went after the woman. She was out the door before the reality of the situation sank in.

Comment

What the heck is the fascination with the VB bags? They're hideous!!! They're old and frumpy!!! I honestly can't figure out why anyone would spend over $40 on a purse, nevermind a nasty quilted handbag!
                  Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
                  Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
                  The Office

Comment

Quoth Shabo View Post
                    What the heck is the fascination with the VB bags? They're hideous!!! They're old and frumpy!!! I honestly can't figure out why anyone would spend over $40 on a purse, nevermind a nasty quilted handbag!
                    I think they look like Grandma's quilts, and they're poorly made. My purse? $5 ammo bag from an army surplus store

Comment

I wait to find good deals at Wilson's leather. Nice leather purse + $20 = happy me!
                      Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
                      Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
                      The Office

Comment

What do these Vera Bradley purses look like? I've never heard of the brand . . .I'm more of a Duck girl myself.
                        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                          What do these Vera Bradley purses look like? I've never heard of the brand . . .I'm more of a Duck girl myself.
                          I used to think they were hideous too. But then at a job I helped out at last Christmas, one of the things I did was keep them straightened and stocked.

I now have a hobo one in the Java Blue. I love the pockets. And it's only my 2nd non-black purse. I was able to use the employee discount, plus I had a huge amount of gift cards for photographing events otherwise there would have been no way I would have even considered it.

There are some extreme people out there, and while I'm not waiting for new styles and patterns, I like seeing the new stuff and haven't ruled out getting a different one in the future.

http://www.verabradley.com/Site/Stor...ry.aspx?dept=7

Comment

Ah yes, Vera Bradley purses. The purses worth performing fellatio for!

Don't believe me? Clicky clicky!
                            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I got a bunch of VB stuff for Xmas, though it really wasn't anything I wanted. I don't mind the makeup bags, and the pink elephant purse (proceeds go to breast cancer research, I believe) is cute, but I think most of it is a bit silly as well. But heck, it made shopping for my mom's Xmas present easy - we just ransacked the VB store for many things in her favorite print (Botanica).
                              "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Working...
                              X