This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was your first witness SC?

We're all grown adults here. However, I bet many of you have memories of SC behavior, and some of you at the time didn't even think it was SC, just the funny adult was acting like a bratty sibling and it was much funny.

Well, I did anyway.

The very first SC I can remember was at a convience store. I was maybe three or four. I remember hearing a very loud crash, and some woman started to scream at the cashier about how all the bottles are too hard to hold. She is standing in line behind us, wobbly and attempting to hold on to several bottles of beer. Bitching about how hard they are to hold. I somewhat gross thing is that she had a huge WAD of booger/snot on her nose. Even grosser is I had a bad habit at that age, and I was thinking if I can have that I'd finally have a mouthful.
    Military Spouse Support.
    http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
    Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Honestly, I don't remember much of shopping when I was a kid. Probably because Mom usually went to craft supply stores, which I found inordinately boring, so when I was finally old enough to be left alone in the car, I stopped going inside with her and instead read my Garfield books or played with my Game Boy.

Now that you mention it, though, I do remember a couple of things aside from the tantrums I watched other kids throw.

1 - Grocery store. I might have been about seven or so. At the service desk, some guy was mad about something. Then another guy wearing a red vest (must've been part of the employee uniform) came up and invaded Angry Guy's space enough to intimidate him in the direction of the exit. Red Vest said something along these lines: "I've had enough of your lies. Get out!" I was very careful in that store for years afterward because I didn't know what Angry Guy did to deserve to be kicked out, and I didn't want to experience Red Vest's wrath first-hand.

2 - Restaurant. I was on vacation in California with Dad. I think I was ten. I was happily munching on corn dogs and fries. A woman came in and started arguing with an employee. I don't remember the details. In fact, I don't really remember paying attention to the details. It was something about a milkshake or similar dessert that the SC bought and was whining about. All I remember clearly was one line that made me snort my root beer. Here's how the exchange ended (paraphrased)...
    Hostess: We don't sell milkshakes here. We never have.
    SC: (without missing a beat) Well where did I get this ****** shake then? Tell me that!
    Hostess: Ma'am, I've tried to be polite. You wouldn't listen. Now will you please take your insanity elsewhere before it infects the rest of us?
    I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
    - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
    - IPF

Comment

I was about 8-9 years old. I was shopping with my parents. While we were in line, I was looking at the candy that was just sitting out on a shelve. I remember hearing a woman screaming at the cashier about race and that was why she couldn't get something on sale. That was when I started laughing. The customer and the cashier both were the same race. I remember the cashier telling the woman about if it not saying in the ads or on the coupon, that it is not on sale
      Under The Moon Paranormal Research
      San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

First SC I ever saw was my Grandmother. The cashier/bagger had to pack EXACTLY as my grandmother ordered her/him to, or my grandmother would thrown a tantrum, take out everything, repack it, the whole time yelling, holding up the line and causing a scene. It's a wonder she was never asked to leave. It was not fun going to the store with her. It was so embarrassing. I definitely learned how NOT to act in a store when I went out with her.

I have to wonder at how some baggers pack sometimes, but I just say thank you, go outside the store and repack it without a scene.
        "Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did."
        George Carlin

Comment

Not exactly a sucky *customer*, but...

When I was 6 years old, I had this little Schwinn bicycle. I loved the thing. Couldn't ride it without training wheels, but I loved it anyway. So me and my Mother are riding down this bike path, when this maniac on a racing bike comes whipping around a blind corner, at over twice the bike path's speed limit, *and* on the wrong side of the path!

Being on the wrong side of the path, and going too fast to stop, he slams into me, the 6 year old on a baby bike and his bike goes one way, he goes the other, into the bushes. He comes barreling out, screaming obscenities at me, delivers a screamed but brief lecture on how awful a kid I am, and just as my Mother arrives to find out what's going on, he screams a few obscenities at her, and rides away.

My bike was wrecked (bent wheel) and this guy's only concern for what he'd just done (driving on the wrong side of the road, speeding, hit & run, etc) was screaming words I didn't understand until years later at a 6 year old. My Mother had no idea what he'd done at the time, or he'd probably have wound up hospitalized...

Comment

There is a forum I look at for deals (some of the people there are the worst SCs - it's the polar opposite of customerssuck) anyway one lady's sig is something like [My 4 year old daughter role playing shopping: "What? It's full price?? I don't want it then!"]. Of course the daughter is mimicing mommy's behavior, and I think mommy was proud of it!

Comment

I remember being at a Mardi Gras parade when I was about 4 or 5 and I actually caught one of the throws (cheap platic beads or cups, etc.). I was so excited because I got one without any help from my parents. Then this woman turned around and yanked the cup out of my hand and yelled "That's mine, he threw that to me!" My mom saw her do it and snatched it back from her. I didn't hear the exchange between them but the woman found somewhere else to stand.
              This unfortunately is normal behavior at the Mardi Gras parades, which is why I don't particularly like going anymore. But this still sticks in my mind as my first experience with an entitlement whore.
              ~Rhania

Comment

My first SC experience that I can remember was in a shoe store, I think it was payless, where they had a deal, buy one get one free or half price or something. Well this guy was arguing with the cashier because he wanted the expensive pair for free/half price and only wanted to pay for the cheap pair. My mother told me what a tool he was being and why and I just couldn't believe that someone could be that stupid.
                It's been a long, long, long, long time...

Comment

When I was a kid, my family owned a drug store. I started helping out in the store when I was about 12 years old. The first really sucky customer I remember was a woman who always came into the store with her son, Norman, or as she called him Normie (imagine that name being said in a whiny, nasal tone and you can get an idea of how she sounded).

Anyway, every time she and Normie would some into the store, the mom would pay little attention to Normie, and, as a result, he would constantly mess with stuff on the shelves and generally make a big mess. And the only input from Mom, when she actually payed attention to him, was to say (in her nasal, whiny voice), "No, no, Normie." She would make no effort to control him, or to put back the things he had messed up. It really became tough to decide what was worse, Normie's amateur rearranging of the store, or Mom's incessant, No, no, Normie."

Comment

Quoth HawaiianShirts View Post
                    Hostess: Ma'am, I've tried to be polite. You wouldn't listen. Now will you please take your insanity elsewhere before it infects the rest of us?
                    I love it! So many times I've wanted to say something similar! If nobody else wants it, I'd love to add it to my sig line.
                    Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Quoth Primer View Post
                      I love it! So many times I've wanted to say something similar! If nobody else wants it, I'd love to add it to my sig line.
                      You're welcome to it!
                      I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
                      - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
                      - IPF

Comment

Working...
                      X