X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fish are WHAT?

This isn't sucky but it's very strange.

In this forum we've discussed inappropriate places for young children. The Fishmonger's Shop was one I thought would never make the list. It did today.

As I entered to buy the main ingredient for scampi, a woman and a girl of about 4 or 5 were standing outside the shop. I heard the woman tell the child, "We can't go in there. Daddy has to buy the fish because fish are scary."

C'mon, woman! Is your child going to have problems in later life because she was traumatized by the sight of a whole snapper? Would the sight of a lobster give her nightmares for years and warp her view of the world?

Can you imagine the slogan for the 'fish are scary' crowd? I'd almost be willing to buy a t-shirt with the legend, "Keep our kids away from squids!"
    Research is the art of reading what everyone has read and seeing what no one else has seen.

You know the strange thing is I hate eating fish but love going fishing, as long as I throw them back. I love calamari as long as it's cooked properly, thats the only fish thing I eat.

I feel very sorry for that little girl, there are alot more scarier things in life than a dead fish.
    I am but a tiny, barren, insignificant rock caught in the glorious orbit of your shining sun. Gravekeeper.

Comment

I wonder if she was saying it because the child had had a tantrum or otherwise freaked out in that area before?

If the adult is scared of dead fish... that's a little weird. If the kid freaked out after watching fish get their bits removed for public consumption, well... that'd be less weird.
      "Joi's CEO is about as sneaky and subtle as a two year old on crack driving an air craft carrier down Broadway." - Broomjockey

Comment

Quoth LibraryLady View Post
        Can you imagine the slogan for the 'fish are scary' crowd? I'd almost be willing to buy a t-shirt with the legend, "Keep our kids away from squids!"
        *wipes off monitor*

Freakin' hilarious!

Comment

Well, no sense carping about it. :-)

You all KNOW you were thinking it!!!
          "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Was she from Innsmouth?

Comment

*moans*
              Sheldons! please!

Comment

My son was scared of going into the Fisherman's Market because the live crabs were very active and scary-looking. It took both of us staying with him, telling him about the crabs and showing him that they can't get out of the tank to calm his fears, little by little. Now he loves going into the Market.

You've just got to teach your children about such things. I think the woman in the OP was taking the lazy way out. Or maybe she's the one with the fishphobia and she's trying to instill it into her kid. Either way, this might work on her:
                I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                My LiveJournal
                A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I used to love gawking at the live lobsters at the fish market. They were so freaky looking! Just like the things we ate for dinner on special occasions.

Comment

I had a friend in high school who was VERY afraid of fish. You couldn't even joke about it. Fish scared the daylights out of her.

As for the mom's comment...I dunno. I'm thinking either she didn't give her kid a chance to see the fish and find out if it would scare her, or maybe her daughter was scared last time and she was reminding her why they wouldn't go in there?

Sounds more like she wasn't taking chances. But telling a kid that "fish are scary" is not a great way to get them accustomed to the fish market....
                    I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

The title of this thread and the popular smiley inspires me to post this story about assault with a fish.
                      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

"But Lady! Fish are friends, not food......."

Comment

I find dead fish very scary, just laying there with their mouths hanging open and their eyes staring at you...

Comment

Wow, they better never go to the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago. They have Japanese spider crabs there with bodies the size of basketballs and legs as long as a garden rake.

Among other freaky (but cool) stuff...
                            ~~ Every politician that opens their mouth on birth control only proves that we need more of it. ~~

Comment

I think they ran across these guys in a dark alley one fateful night...
                              "If you find yourself fantasizing about throwing actual users into a blender, please get help... they're heavy." - Tom Dickson

Comment

Working...
                              X