This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does that have to do with it?

I'll admit I could have handled this better, but this still bugs me.

I took the family to Chuck E. Cheese's last night to celebrate the end of the school year. Since it was a Thrusday night, it wasn't crowded, and I was actually enjoying myself and in a good mood.

Then it happened. A boy who was probably 5-6 years old climbed up on a game machine I was standing next to. I was with my kids and already in 'parent mode' so I tapped his shoulder to get his attention and told him to get down.

The boy's father was immediately in my face, angrily asking, "Why are you touching my kid?"

OK, that's a legitimate question. So I replied that I had just tapped his shoulder to get his attention and told him to get down. I also said that I was worried about him getting hurt.

Then came the kicker. He asked, "Would have to pay a dime?"

Not sure I'd heard him correctly, I said, "Excuse me?"

He asked, "Would you have to pay a dime if he got hurt?"

I said, "No, but I'd feel really bad about it." and walked away.

So maybe I shouldn't have tapped the kid's shoulder. Maybe I should have turned away and let him get hurt. Probably I should have notified an employee instead of acting.

Still, what the hell does financial responsibility have to do with not wanting a little kid to get hurt?

Still, what the hell does financial responsibility have to do with not wanting a little kid to get hurt?
    Ah, my naive young Skywalker. As I explain to my Filipino friends over here ... if you ever wonder about why America or Americans do anything, it all goes back to money. We tell ourselves otherwise, but, usually, we're just fooling ourselves.

And, myself, I wouldn't have walked away. You did the right thing. That so-called parent can shove it.
    "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Quoth Docmayhem View Post

"no but I'd have some serious explaining to do to Karma/God/Allah/Deity of your choice-and I'd rather not be morally bankrupt"
      Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

You probably saved Chuck E. Cheese from a frivolous lawsuit there.
        Know why it's called the American "Dream"? 'Cause you have to be asleep to believe it! --George Carlin

Comment

Maybe not you personally, but if the kid would've fallen on his head and suffered some kind of debilitating brain injury, I guarantee father would be lawyering up to sue the restaurant.

And maybe it would have to close and you wouldn't have Chuck E. Cheese's to take your family to anymore.
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Should've said, "no, but YOU would be and I just saved you medical costs and your child from suffering. You're welcome".
            A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth Docmayhem View Post
              Then came the kicker. He asked, "Would have to pay a dime?"
              No, but I'd have to waste my time talking to child services about why you weren't watching your own kid. I thought I'd save us both the hastle.
              How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

Stupid idjit, don't know how to thank someone for asking their kid to stop doing something dangerous.
                Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

I'd have popped back "If he did fall and seriously hurt himself, would your primary concern be who's fronting up the dimes for this?"

Sadly, the answer probably would be yes. If he understood the question.

Comment

Quoth marasbaras View Post
                    Ah, my naive young Skywalker. As I explain to my Filipino friends over here ... if you ever wonder about why America or Americans do anything, it all goes back to money. We tell ourselves otherwise, but, usually, we're just fooling ourselves.

And, myself, I wouldn't have walked away. You did the right thing. That so-called parent can shove it.
                    Marasbaras, I would kindly ask you not to stereotype all 304,423,974* residents of the United States of America as being financially motivated any more than the rest of the first-world countries in the world. I, personally, find money useful only in that it is the only currently acceptable means to acquire the means to sustain your body and access to activities that enrich the spirit of yourself and your friends.

*Current population based on estimated growth since last census.
                    ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                    And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Quoth JustADude View Post
                      Marasbaras, I would kindly ask you not to stereotype all 304,423,974* residents of the United States of America as being financially motivated any more than the rest of the first-world countries in the world. I, personally, find money useful only in that it is the only currently acceptable means to acquire the means to sustain your body and access to activities that enrich the spirit of yourself and your friends.

*Current population based on estimated growth since last census.
                      Thank you Dude....exactly what I was thinking and couldn't have said it better myself!
                      It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Not, me! I'm all about the Benjamins. It's just too bad I always end up with Lincolns (not even the folding kind).

Comment

Depending on the state you're in, you could actually be held responsible if you hadn't acted.
                          Learn wisdom by the follies of others.

Comment

Working...
                          X