This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Can I borrow a fag?"

I went shopping yesterday. Not to spend oodles of money, of course, just to trawl the charity shops in search of a warm jumper and to buy some books, also from charity shops. I love bargain hunting. Anyway, during one of the points where I stopped in the street to light up a cigarette, this chavette girl came up to me.

"Can I borrow a fag?" she drawled. I've never really understood the point of this question; firstly, just how can you borrow a cigarette? Do you smoke it and then hand the filter back? Second, why the hell should a complete stranger give you one of their precious smokes? I never do; my smokes are for me, and on occasion, my friends (who always pay me back in kind) so I told the girl no. She immediately gave me stinkeye and muttered "Selfish bitch," as she walked off. XD

Note for Americans: In England, the word "fag" is slang for a cigarette. Just so you don't immediately jump to the wrong conclusion.
    People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
    My DeviantArt.

Yep, you're selfish because you're choosing not to share your EXTREMELY expensive (and I assumed they're more expensive in the UK than they are in the States) luxury with someone who a.) you don't know and b.) has no problem bumming from people so she doesn't have to spend her own money.

I'm not terribly comfortable with strangers bumming cigarettes...It's like going up to someone and asking to borrow their soda, or to loan you five bucks. Yeeeesh.
    "Do not quibble with me over apostrophes. I have my shit together when it comes to apostrophes." - BookBint

Comment

Yes its so selfish to not want to give your property away that you've worked so hard for. I'm sure there are people out there that never have bought their own "fags" the whole time they have smoked they just bummed. I have no problem giving people a quater once in a while but there has to be a stopping point.

Comment

Wow - last I heard cigs were about 5 GBP a pack - or a little over 9 USD
        No way would I "loan" 45 cents to every to every EW who asked.

Comment

When I am asked the question, "Can I borrow a cigarette?" I always reply immediately with, "Well, I was planning on smoking it eventually...how long would you like to borrow it? "

This does one of two things:

1. Confuses the hell out of the person and they walk away scratching their head
          2. The person then changes the question to, "Can I bum/have a cigarette?"

If the second option ensues I simply tell them, "no".
          "It's not easy being evil in a world that's gone to Hell" ~ Anton LaVey

Comment

When I did smoke - (not being able to breathe ER visit with extended stay and then surgery makes it real easy to quit)
            I had a few friends that smoked - amongst us we would "borrow" from each other.
            As in walking out of a store to the car and realize that you had already smoked your last one . . .so friend gives you one and you head to the convience store to buy another pack. (Then later when it happens to them you pass them a smoke)
            Or your out at a bar and thought you had a second pack and oops it is still at home on the counter. . . so your friend shares their pack with you cause the bar is $2-3 more a pack.
            Again this is with people you know and smoke around regularly.
            In Lace Neil Singer situation it was a total stranger - my reply was always "Sure for $1.00 . . .and then I will even let you smoke it"

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
              Note for Americans: In England, the word "fag" is slang for a cigarette. Just so you don't immediately jump to the wrong conclusion.
              too late brain went in the gutter the moment I saw the title

though actually I figured that's what you meant, I used to watch way too much British television.

Those people bother me as much as the people who will come up to me at the hotel and ask to "borrow" a map... at check out time... I know there is no way in hell they are ever going to return the map, so I give them one of our freebies, and then they complain it's not a high enough quality... fine, it's free, don't like it, don't take it.
              If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

I've never had this problem since I've never smoked, but I've always been tickled by "Can I borrow a Kleenex?"

Borrow? No. You can HAVE a Kleenex. You can keep it. Really. I do not want it back!
                Women can do anything men can.
                But we don't because lots of it's disgusting.
                Maxine

Comment

If I want to borrow a Fag, I'll borrow Sheldon. (Thank you BBC America)

No, you can HAVE a cigarette. You can HAVE a couple asprin. I don't want any of that stuff back!

Except maybe Sheldon. I'd like him back.
                  Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

In college I had a friend that decided he wasnt going to buy cigarettes anymore. He would just ask us all for one.
                    My group of friends got sick of it after about 2 weeks so we all agreed to say no.

So this guy would raid our ashtrays and take the tobacco from all our old butts and sprinkle the tobacco into rolling papers and made he own.

He was a cheap bastard. But at least he stopped asking us.
                    Miyon

Seduce, Let Loose, The Vision and The Void - Coil

All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain - Blade Runner

Comment

Thank you for that postscript. I knew what you meant, but it sounds kind of funny out of context. "Can I borrow a homosexual?" "Here you go, but I need him, so bring him right back!"
                      It is a terrible thing to see and have no vision.
                      -Helen Keller

I got this av from Court Records, made by Croik!

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
                        If I want to borrow a Fag, I'll borrow Sheldon. (Thank you BBC America)
                        Just make sure you return me in the same condition you found me. :-)
                        Last edited by Ree; 09-19-2008, 11:24 AM. Reason: Edited quote
                        "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

I quit smoking 15 years ago and one of the many benefits is being able to tell cig bummers no I don't smoke

i work in a little convenience store, our cigarettes are expensive yes i know people tell me that all the time, there is nothing I can do about especially since the store only make 15 cents of each pack , of course I reckon we should do as customers suggest and by them online and try not to pay the tax so we can sell them cheaper that is a great plan ,idiots

but the best SC I have had with cigarettes and god have i had a lot is the guy who proclaimed our cigarettes were a rip off and I should go get fu**ed and all sorts of other nice words, then after his tirade was over he asked me if he could bum a cig off of me:eek
                          : what an ass he had the money he just was going to buy them somewhere else which is great but what an ass asking a hourly employee to fund your habit because your to cheap to cough up a dime

Comment

Quoth Sheldonrs View Post
                            Just make sure you return me in the same condition you found me. :-)
                            I was gonna say "why pick on Sheldon," but he seems okay with it
                            Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Time to retell the story of the crazy, probably homeless lady who smokes all the discarded butts in the ashtray outside the store.

So we were outside for our first break of the day, the supervisor was smoking her cigarette and cigarette lady came by, wearing a warm jacket and big fuzzy boots in 75 degree or so weather:

CL asked sup "Do you smoke?" Sup told her she only brought down one cigarette and she was smoking it.

CL said "You're rude" and strolled through the open front door. Mind you, the store was still closed at this time.

Sup told her the store was closed and she couldn't go inside. "Bitch!" CL spat and stomped off.

Last week I went to dinner with my parents for my birthday and I saw CL walking down the street, still in that heavy jacket and boots. I pointed her out. My mom thought she was a hooker. I can't imagine anybody paying her for sex, but then again there's always someone as horny as one is ugly.
                              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Working...
                              X