X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shut the hell up!

This happened at Border's tonight.

As I'm pulling into the lot, there were quite a few people outside looking at their discounted books. One of them, an older guy, was attempting to get his screaming kid out of the car, and into the store. (Why?)

As he's literally *dragging* the kid along, the kid grabbed at one of the planters, pulling several handfuls of flowers out. Still screaming, I might add. It didn't stop there--as I'm trying to open the door, guess who steps inside right behind me?

Yep, those two. Kid is still screaming, and doesn't seem to be tiring out. Does his dad do anything? Nope, except for saying things like "please stop," "we don't do that in stores," etc. By this time, the *entire* store is giving them nasty looks, and muttering comments. I swear, that little brat screamed louder, even after they'd gone downstairs. Then they came back upstairs, and he took out one of the displays By then, the cashier was trying to hurry them out, but because the register wasn't working correctly, it took longer than it should have. As all this is going on, quite a few people walked out.

It just amazes the hell out of me that the "dad" would tolerate that crap. When I was that kid's age, I'd have not only been forcibly removed from the store, but I'd have gotten my ass spanked as well.
    Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

I don't tollerate screaming children, when the father stepped behind with screaming child I would have gotten in his way and rudely "suggest" he not come into the store till he got control of his child as its rude to inflict screaming children on others.
    Of course I'm the kind of person who in a movie with a crying child will give a moment to to see if parent is trying to exit with crying child or staying put and if staying put yell to get that kid out so others can enjoy the movie. Or hunt down managers at restraunts and demand they ask the parents to do something about the child as its interfeeing with my enjoyment of my meal.
    One restraunt I went to the parents weren't paying any attention to their little spawn as it shoved chairs in the way of wait staff carrying armloads of hot food trying to trip them up. I told the manager he could take care of it or I would tell them to "mind their spawn." He was had seen the child doing it, just didnt want to "cause a scene," no care that the kid could seriously injure one of his wait staff. I assured him a scene he would get if he didn't approach parents and tell them to reign the kid in.

Comment

Quoth Akasa View Post
      He was had seen the child doing it, just didnt want to "cause a scene," no care that the kid could seriously injure one of his wait staff. I assured him a scene he would get if he didn't approach parents and tell them to reign the kid in.
      I'd be the one to say "alright, then I guess I'll call OSHA and the labor board on your employee's behalf sense you refuse to provide them a safe work environment" ... of course you have to be willing to go through with it, but just see how the manager likes the idea of getting the state involved in a labor investigation because of a spoiled spawn.
      If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

I'd be willing to bet that the kid refused to get out of the car, so his Old Man decided to show him that yes, he was. So a tantrum ensued, to no avail. The Old Man ended up being right about the kid leaving the car, and the kid hopefully learned that a tantrum isn't all that effective.

It's just unfortunate that it was so loud and public.

Problem is, kids know you don't want a big scene, so that's when they figure they can make one and get the results they want. Gotta show them that they are incorrect about that.

While I would't drag a screaming kid into a crowded store, I'd sure drag one out of the car. And then we'd do something really, really unpleasant until the tantrum abated.

I'm not saying my kid doesn't throw the occasional tantrum, but she has learned that they aren't effective, and as a result they are neither frequent nor extended.

Comment

Quoth Akasa View Post
          I told the manager he could take care of it or I would tell them to "mind their spawn."
          Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
          of course you have to be willing to go through with it, but just see how the manager likes the idea of getting the state involved in a labor investigation because of a spoiled spawn.
          Highlighted for to get your attention.

Considering that everyone on this board was at one time a crying baby, perhaps "spawn" (and other nicknames for children) is a terrible word to be calling other people's children. Next time, choose your words more carefully.
          I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
            It just amazes the hell out of me that the "dad" would tolerate that crap. When I was that kid's age, I'd have not only been forcibly removed from the store, but I'd have gotten my ass spanked as well.
            What troubles me is that the dad forcibly moved the child into a store mid-meltdown. And not just any meltdown, but rather of the screaming/kicking/pulling variety. The time to calm the child down was before entering a crowded business. Unless it was uncomfortably cold or hot outside, there's no reason to subject the poor shoppers & employees to this. I understand kids have tantrums, but he/she was causing damage to property and (heaven forbid) could've hurt him/herself. Not to mention dear old dad caused others to withstand the wailing/screaming/grabbing/kicking, which is just plain sucky.
            A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

I always love it when a parent or grandparent tries to coax an unruly child into changing his act by saying something like, "Remember what I promised to get you if you're good."

In my childhood, it was what I was promised if I wasn't good that kept me straight!
              "It's not me that you hate; it's those nasty truths I serve up. Hey, man, I'm just honesty's vessel!" --Me

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
                What troubles me is that the dad forcibly moved the child into a store mid-meltdown. And not just any meltdown, but rather of the screaming/kicking/pulling variety.
                That's why the entire store, as well as people outside, were staring at them. More of a is-the-problem, sort of thing. Me, I just wanted them to leave! I had a sinus headache, and wasn't in the mood for that crap.
                Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth lastofthesummerwine View Post
                  I always love it when a parent or grandparent tries to coax an unruly child into changing his act by saying something like, "Remember what I promised to get you if you're good."

In my childhood, it was what I was promised if I wasn't good that kept me straight!

Same here!

Sometimes (not always, but sometimes) I'll give an unexpected treat (often, I will be planning to give it anyways) and if my daughter was good, I'd say "here, honey, you were such a good girl today. Thank you!" and give her the treat. I don't bribe, though.

And never, ever would I say, "stop doing that and I'll buy you a treat." No, I'll say "stop doing that or all these people are going to see you get put in time out."

Works like a champ. Where would we be without the threat of public humiliation?
                  Last edited by RecoveringKinkoid; 10-07-2008, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Being that I'm a fairly big guy (6'2", upwards of 270lbs), I'll sometimes see kids rough-housing in my store. Sometimes it's just the playful stuff, sometimes it's not, and if the parents are trying to get them to settle down, I'll just look at the kids and say, "No rough-housing unless I can join in."

Their eyes get real big and they settle down FAST.

But good Christ, the screamers. I can't stand the screamers. Please, for the sake of my sanity, take the kid outside!
                    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Maybe the father didn't want the kid to see that screaming would get a reaction? So he just dragged him through the store like normal. Although I have no idea if this would be considered effective parenting or not...
                      It is a terrible thing to see and have no vision.
                      -Helen Keller

I got this av from Court Records, made by Croik!

Comment

Quoth Spiffy McMoron View Post
                        Considering that everyone on this board was at one time a crying baby, perhaps "spawn" (and other nicknames for children) is a terrible word to be calling other people's children.
                        I will respectfully disagree on that one. Just because we were all once babies is no excuse for bad behavior, and this kid was likely old enough to know better. I clearly remember several instances where I acted up in public as a youngster and my parents let me have it but good, and needless to say, whatever it was that I did, I *never* did it again.

I don't consider *all* children to be "spawn" (or whathaveyou), but I'm not going to give out free passes when someone's child is obviously behaving badly (and/or the parent is doing nothing about it).
                        ~~ Every politician that opens their mouth on birth control only proves that we need more of it. ~~

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                          While I would't drag a screaming kid into a crowded store, I'd sure drag one out of the car. And then we'd do something really, really unpleasant until the tantrum abated.
                          Hmm...I'm intrigued to hear what your "something really, really unpleasant" is. My little one hasn't quite hit that stage yet, but as the Terrible Twos are coming up, I'm expecting it sooner or later. Any ideas to nip the tantrums in the bud without caving to them would be appreciated.
                          "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                          - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Quoth Amethyst Hunter View Post
                            Just because we were all once babies is no excuse for bad behavior
                            Quoted for truth.

I don't go around calling all children derogatory names. I don't do that for any person or group of people... and children are people, too.

If a person acts and behaves in a manner that is disruptive, offensive or otherwise annoying, then I would use whatever term I feel best describes them when referring to them. Whether that term is "Sucky Customer", "Entitlement Whore", "Mouth-Breathing Cow", "Retard/Fucktard", "Crotch Larvae" or "Hellspawn"... there was a series of actions and behaviors that elicited that term.

Children are no exception.

Not all children as innocent or naive as some would have you believe. When they do misbehave, many of them are fully aware of it and do so consciously
                            Look, I'm not saying that children should be seen and not heard. Children are noisy, even well-behaved and well-mannered ones. Noise alone does not make a child bad... there is always more to it.

The fact that I was a child once myself holds absolutely no bearing or relevance to the actions of children today, nor does it act like some sort of presidential pardon for the children of today who misbehave.

And contrary to popular belief, it isn't always the parents fault (though they are usually mostly responsible for their child's behavior). Children are just as responsible for their actions in many cases.

Bottom line, when someone refers to a child in a negative way, then usually that child has usually acted in a manner that warrants such an address... just as any other person who behaves in a "sucky" manner.
                            "It's not easy being evil in a world that's gone to Hell" ~ Anton LaVey

Comment

Working...
                            X