This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suckiness on the bus

Yesterday, two things happened. One, my computer went doolaly, so I had to call up Computerman to arrange to get it fixed. Two, I had to go into town to get some stuff I'd run out of. I went on the bus, as the one way system into town is dire, and to a motorcyclist, a death trap. O.o

I went up to the top, as is my wont and sat a couple of seats away from the back. My usual spot at the back was taken by a couple with a child of around twoish. The day was fairly mild; certainly not cold, despite the lack of sun and the bus was stifling with all the windows closed. These sort of conditions can bring on headaches for me, so I naturally pulled my window open. That's when the male half of the couple came over and shut my window, saying in a patronising tone, "Excuse me, but we have a child here. So no windows open."

I was incensed. First of all, it is not cold. Second, said child was wrapped up in such a way that one would assume he was being taken out for a day in Siberia, not a mild autumn day in England. And finally, it was my window, and if I want to open it for some fresh air, then I have every right to.

I immediately pulled the window back open and said to the man, "I want my window open. If you don't like it, then move down the bus." He said nothing, but did as I suggested. Now, I'm not a rude person, honestly. But I refuse to sit in a stifling oven just cuz someone is paranoid about their child catching cold. On public transport like a bus, within reason, people can do what they want. If you want to control everything that happens while traveling, get a taxi. Otherwise, just put up or shut up.
    People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
    My DeviantArt.

I can't believe that someone is that brave to mess with someone elses window.yes they have a child but come on.First off your child is going sick no matter what.Children are like germ magnets. And like you said your child is more likely to get sick taking public transporation. You have to wait for the bus then you have to walk once you get off the bus.

Comment

Like you're supposed to insctintively know their child is sick. Guh.
      He could have politely asked you to shut the window, but by being an ass I'd say your actions were justified.

Comment

It's actually healthier to have a window open, even on a bus. Germs proliferate in a closed, warm, moist environment and that makes it a lot more easy to catch something.
        What colour is the sky in your world and how high of a dosage do you need before it turns back to blue? --Gravekeeper

Comment

Perhaps you should tell them that being cold does not cause a cold. The cold virus is exactly that, a virus (and its many strains). If it were true that being cold causes colds then researchers in the ant/arctic would constantly have them, not true; they only get 'the crud' when a new plane arrives with fresh germs.
          A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Trust me, you were not the rude one. It would be one thing if he asked "Do you mind closing the window" but to come and close it and tell you "no open windows"?! Who made him hall bus monitor?
            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

"I have a child" = "My ticket to free assholery."

People like that give honest parents a bad name.
              ~~ Every politician that opens their mouth on birth control only proves that we need more of it. ~~

Comment

Exactly; I've met on the bus various nice people with kids, so I certainly don't feel these idiots were the majority. And yeah, the "hall monitor" behaviour was just too much. Sadly there are a lot of said people around who think that they have the right to make everyone do as they wish.
                People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                My DeviantArt.

Comment

Working...
                X