This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heading them off at the pass?

So I went into Wegmans today to get something to drink while I was doing some errands. They have a display of Christmas trees in the front vestibule. My initial reaction was to roll my eyes, and then continue on with my day. Then I noticed the sign in front of the display. I had to take a picture (I would post the picture but I couldn't get the whole sign in the frame of my phone so I had to take two; I have, however, recreated it here).

THE HOLIDAYS
    are very special times
    in our lives.
    Some customers like to
    do their holiday shopping
    early and others like the
    hustle-bustle of waiting
    until the very last minute.
    By displaying holiday items
    early, we are allowing
    you to make
    the decision.

I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

I see someone got creative about preventing "Christmas is too early!" complaints.

Nicely done, are they part of Evil Inc., I wonder?
    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Yes, but how many SCs will actually read the sign?
      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
        Yes, but how many SCs will actually read the sign?
        That's funny! SCs reading! Ha!
        Marvin: "Here I am, brain the size of a planet and they ask me to take you down to the bridge. Call that job satisfaction? 'Cos I don't."

Krispy Kreme puts the "ugh" back in "doughnuts".

Comment

Quoth TheComputerError View Post
          That's funny! SCs reading! Ha!
          SC's can actually read microscopic print from 100 paces effortlessly you know.... yeah they are limited to Sale, Bargain, Free, etc... but they CAN read...
          "It's times like these that make me wanna go straight."
          James from Pokémon.

Comment

I don't care what signs any store wants to put up, if it's still September and the Halloween stuff isn't even out yet, it's TOO @#$%ING EARLY FOR CHRISTMAS MERCH!
            PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
              I don't care what signs any store wants to put up, if it's still September and the Halloween stuff isn't even out yet, it's TOO @#$%ING EARLY FOR CHRISTMAS MERCH!

But it's October...?

Hehe, just being nitpicky!

But I understand. I'm of the mindset that the Christmas season doesn't start until Black Friday, but that's because Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday of the year and it peeves me to no end to see Christmas trees and lights up while I'm trying to get pumped for turkey, football and booze.

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
                I see someone got creative about preventing "Christmas is too early!" complaints.
                It's not going to prevent them. It's going to get them written on the front door in lipstick/sharpie, or whatever else is available.

And yeah, if it's before Thanksgiving, it's too damn early.

Comment

Quoth Custard Chick View Post

But it's October...?

Hehe, just being nitpicky!

But I understand. I'm of the mindset that the Christmas season doesn't start until Black Friday, but that's because Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday of the year and it peeves me to no end to see Christmas trees and lights up while I'm trying to get pumped for turkey, football and booze.
                  EXACTLY. Black Friday, to me, is the official start of the Christmas/holiday season. You put your merch out before then, I'll start getting twitchy and very sarcastic. You push it back into August, and I'll probably start getting violent and inserting those decorations Where The Sun Does Not Shine.

And I said what I did in my last post because MY STORE ACTUALLY DID THAT. It was a week before the end of September, and there's already the Christmas aisle out in our seasonal section.
                  PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

That same sign was in front of their Christmas tree display last year, at the beginning of October.

It pisses me off when Halloween is glossed over so merchants can push CHRISTMAS CHRISTMAS on us. Halloween is my favorite holiday and I'm sick of it barely getting noticed by merchants who only want that Christmas shopping dollar.

I'm so sick of Christmas by the time it gets here, since it's been pushed on us since October. Also, having a birthday a week before Christmas also annoys the hell out of me.
                    Do not annoy the woman with the flamethrower!

If you don't like it, I believe you can go to hell! ~Trinity from The Matrix

Yes, MadMike does live under my couch.

Comment

To me Christmas season begins on Christmas Eve. I'm a bit of a Scrooge at times, but it all stems from my hatred of over-commercialization of the holiday. I just think it's a bit too much a to-do over a holiday that's not universally celebrated.
                      Marvin: "Here I am, brain the size of a planet and they ask me to take you down to the bridge. Call that job satisfaction? 'Cos I don't."

Krispy Kreme puts the "ugh" back in "doughnuts".

Comment

I stand by my assertion that Christmas season begins on the First of December. That's officially the beginning of Advent. (IIRC, that's when the Wise Men first saw the Star in the East. Or was it when Gabriel appeared to Mary? One of the two.)

By all means start selling decorations, wrapping paper, cards, advent calendars, etc. before then - people do tend to send presents overseas by surface mail - but *discreetly*. Do *not* actually put *up* the decorations or start piping in the carols before then.

Also, the decorations come down promptly after the 6th of January, for the same reason.

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
                          Nicely done, are they part of Evil Inc., I wonder?
                          Nope...

https://www.wegmans.com/webapp/wcs/s...MenuDetailView

FORTUNE names Wegmans to the magazine’s 100 Best Companies to Work For list, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, and 2008. The company ranked 1st in 2005 and ranked #3 in 2008.

Comment

Working...
                          X