This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad cook, meh waiter, good manager

Last night in celebration of my wife passing her State test to become an RN we went out to dinner to the local Applebees.

It was a party of 6, my wife and I, my parents, my sister and her fiancee.

The place was dead. No wait for a table, and I'd say a good 1/3 of the restaurant was dead.

My parents were late arriving, so I wasn't surprised that no one came right away for a drink order.

Waiter finally came, took drink order, etc.

The Waiter was a little slow the whole night, and seemed forgetful, but I can't really complain too much about him.

After our apps came, we waited a while for the food, but it didn't seem like an eternity.

The food starts to come out and it's mine, and my sister's fiancee. They brought my wife's too, but it was the wrong thing. Food runner apologized, said he'd be right back with the rest.

And we waited, and waited, and waited.

A good 15 minutes go by and the waiter comes by apologizing profusely, and with everyone's food except my sister's.

Soon after a manager comes over, she's still wearing her coat, tells us she just got in and got the rundown. Something is wrong in the kitchen, and they've comped all of our food. All we're paying for is drinks. And my sister's steak will be right out.

Sure enough her steak comes out, medium rare (she ordered medium well), and her baked potato isn't. It's a luke warm potato that's hard as a rock.

She didn't want to wait anymore so I told the waiter, but my sister said "just forget it" and she ate the other half of my mom's steak.

The manager made up for it, but man what the hell was with that kitchen? It wasn't just us though. The table next to us had similar problems, including a chicken dish being brought to the table without chicken.

Sounds like one of the cooks isn't going to have a job much longer... if he worked for my manager he wouldn't have a job that night (the owners here are very nice if you work hard and you do your job properly... but they have no problem letting you go if you screw up really bad ie chronic lateness, ncns, making the same mistake repeatedly for more than a week, etc).

Though kudos to the manager for pre-empting the problem.
    If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Reminds me of the one bad experience my sister and I had at Denny's while driving cross-country. It was around midnight, and we'd stopped to get something to eat.

After waiting a while for the waitress to come back with our food, she came by and apologized, explaining that the night cook had not shown up for work and had basically called to say he wouldn't be in, at all, end of story. The evening cook had gone home because his shift had ended, so they'd had to pull one of the waiters who knew how to cook into the kitchen to do everything, and that's why there was a delay.

Incidentally, the food was excellent. I also suspect the night cook wasn't going to have a job much longer, since the impression that I got was that he hadn't shown because he didn't want to, not because he was sick or anything.
      "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
      - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Quoth Kogarashi View Post
        Incidentally, the food was excellent. I also suspect the night cook wasn't going to have a job much longer, since the impression that I got was that he hadn't shown because he didn't want to, not because he was sick or anything.
        It also seems like someone might be getting a better paying position at that point.
        Confirmed altoholic.

Comment

Quoth draftermatt View Post
          Last night in celebration of my wife passing her State test to become an RN we went out to dinner to the local Applebees.
          Congrats to your wife! I hope to be celebrating something similar in 6 months...I do hope to be celebrating with food though. LOL. Maybe they were down a few people in the kitchen?

Comment

Quoth Amina516 View Post
            Congrats to your wife! I hope to be celebrating something similar in 6 months...I do hope to be celebrating with food though. LOL. Maybe they were down a few people in the kitchen?
            Thank-you. She & I wish you well.

We had assumed they were a few people down, which is why we didn't get upset, and we tipped the waiter off the original bill, not the comped food one.

We'll be doing more celebrating in the coming weeks. All of her nursing school friends want to go out and do something big (she was the last to take the test), and all of her/my friends want to get together (we haven't seen anyone since Halloween).

Comment

Working...
            X