This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get some headphones, will you ?

Okay, I've mentioned this a couple of times, but those people really bother me.

The kind of person I dislike most when I use public transit are those who listen to music from their cellphone without headphones. I don't know if it's a worldwide plague that can be observed in any large city with a decent public transportation network, or if this is some kind of endemic trend that happens to have been thrust upon the City of Lights (aka Paris, France) and its area. But it annoys me to no end, all the same.

My path comes across far too many of those. The latest occurrence of such an encounter was last Sunday, on the bus. I was leaving my parents' place to get back to my own apartment, and prepare to face yet another week at work. Therein come a handful of over-enthusiastic teenage girls - you just know that, had they been English speaking, they would utter the words "like" and "Omigawd" every three seconds. They seat almost right next to me, spewing an incessant flow of uninteresting - at least to me, but I'm willing to bet good money on the fact that the other passengers didn't care much about it either - babble, at quite a loud volume level.

Fortunately, I wasn't unprepared, for I had some earplugs, which I quickly put in my ears, thus muffling - a little - their chattering. I was beginning to doze off, when I was awoken by some music, pulled away from Morpheus' embrace by some singing. I looked up and, not only were those girls listening to some music from a cellphone, but they were also singing along.

There, I have nothing against spontaneity and self-expression, but there are a few things that some people should realize. First of all, it's a cellphone, not a boom box. The speaker was designed to render a voice-like signal, which has a frequency range of 300Hz to 3400Hz. The music you are listening to is very likely to have sounds as low as 50Hz and as high as 15kHz. So, personal musical tastes not withstanding, the music you are listening to does have a crappy sound. It's a matter of physics.

Secondly, you are on a bus. Full of other people. Some may or may not like your music. Some may or may not totally hate your music. Some may or may not hate you because of your music. Because all they wanted was to doze off and let the bus ride them to the Terminal where they would leave. Some may or may not have even more valid reasons to resent your listening to music that loud on the bus.

Thirdly, if you were thinking about applying for the next round of the Star Academy or whatever, please, abandon all hope. Though you have a fairly nice voice and seem to have a grasp of the rhythm of that particular song, you unfortunately suffer from a complete inability to sing in tune, and the resulting sound of the five of you singing together really isn't pleasant.

Also, on a side note, to the one girl who wore the pants stating "la réunions" on its left leg : seriously, if you really were from the Reunion Island, you wouldn't be caught dead wearing something that butchers the name of your home place. Unless, of course, you were illiterate. Which wouldn't be very surprising.

On a further side note, girls, have you actually listened to the lyrics of that song? The singer explicitly objectifies women, as if they were only good for having sex. He's a few words short from actually advocating rape, for God's sake!
    "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Quoth Samaliel View Post
    I don't know if it's a worldwide plague that can be observed in any large city with a decent public transportation network, or if this is some kind of endemic trend that happens to have been thrust upon the City of Lights (aka Paris, France) and its area. But it annoys me to no end, all the same.
    It's definitely not just in Paris, and it doesn't even have to be a large city. I get them on the bus route in my townships, and some mornings it's all I can do not to roll up my Metro and give them a whack for thinking they're so cool. Or failing that, find something to put over the speaker.

I wouldn't mind so much if it weren't such horrible music and they thought they could be next winner of the x-pop factor on ice in the jungle. The irony is that they sit right underneath signs that ask you to be considerate of your fellow passengers by keeping your personal music players turned down.

Yeah I know, they won't read signs...
    "I'll probably come round and steal the food out of your fridge later too, then run a key down the side of your car as I walk away from your house, which I've idly set ablaze" - Mil Millington

Comment

Headphones might still not work. As often as not, I can hear the music fine five feet (1.8m) away! Yes, they were wearing headphones.
      I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
      -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

All I could think of when reading this was the scene in Star Trek IV where Spock knocks out the guy listening to the boombox on the bus, and everyone started clapping.
        Losing faith in humanity, one customer at a time

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
          Headphones might still not work. As often as not, I can hear the music fine five feet (1.8m) away! Yes, they were wearing headphones.
          Yeah, that's also annoying and a whole other problem. Still, with my earplugs, I don't think I'd have heard the music coming out someone's headphones

Quoth Ghengis51 View Post
          All I could think of when reading this was the scene in Star Trek IV where Spock knocks out the guy listening to the boombox on the bus, and everyone started clapping.
          A fine move from everybody's favourite Vulcan : I'd have applauded too. But at least, a boom box provides sound of a decent quality. Cellphones... not so much.
          "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

Quoth Samaliel View Post
            Yeah, that's also annoying and a whole other problem. Still, with my earplugs, I don't think I'd have heard the music coming out someone's headphones

A fine move from everybody's favourite Vulcan : I'd have applauded too. But at least, a boom box provides sound of a decent quality. Cellphones... not so much.
            But honestly, when was the last time anyone saw anyone carrying a boom box in public?

I've had to get on my sisters' case before when I've caught them listening to their headphones loud enough that I could make out each and every lyric for a song I'd never heard before. If I can hear it, it's too loud. Most normal headphones aren't designed to drown out surrounding noise. You have to go get noise cancelling headphones for that. So don't try to turn up your music to drown out things around you.
            "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
            - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
              Hell, I've heard kids music 40 ft. away, with their music only turned up HALF WAY! And headphones on too!. I bet their parents are the kind whose base you can feel 20 feet away.
              I see dumb people...

"I think I died long ago, and you two are my eternal punishment"
              "..."
              "You're like a constant downer, huh?"

Comment

Quoth Ghengis51 View Post
                How did I forget about that scene?

How I wish I could do that sometimes...of course, the offenders are usually either wiggers or full-on gangsta kids, so I'd likely wind up as a new seat decoration.
                Quoth Samaliel View Post
                I can sometimes. Granted, my headphones aren't fully noise-cancelling (I still need to hear stop announcements), but they're decent quality. Some days I can still hear other people's iPods when they also have headphones
                Last edited by Dreamstalker; 01-29-2009, 01:43 PM.
                "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

My cellphone requires headphones to play the music files.

I can hear people's music while they're wearing headphones from the other end of the bus. Most of the bus drivers tell them to turn it down. Unfortunately, there's no one to stop them on BART.
                  Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                  HR believes the first person in the door
                  Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                  Document everything
                  CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Quoth Samaliel View Post
                    I don't know if it's a worldwide plague that can be observed in any large city with a decent public transportation network, or if this is some kind of endemic trend that happens to have been thrust upon the City of Lights (aka Paris, France) and its area. But it annoys me to no end, all the same.
                    Nope, happens in mid-sized US cities, too. Some ingratiating wonder walked up behind me on my college campus a few days ago. I originally thought he was cussing at me for being in his way, but no, he was listening to some awful reproduction of some rap song on his cell phone and rapping along. Oh goody. Just the entertainment I've always wanted on my way to the bus stop. </sarcasm>

As luck would have it, he was my continued entertainment as I waited for my bus. Mercifully, he was not on my bus, or decided not to entertain a busload of people that afternoon.

I make an effort not to share my music with everyone else. I use my speakers at home, not in public.
                    1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
                    -----
                    http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                      How I wish I could do that sometimes...of course, the offenders are usually either wiggers or full-on gangsta kids, so I'd likely wind up as a new seat decoration.
                      And, of course, the Vulcan Nerve Pinch doesn't work in real life.
                      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                      My LiveJournal
                      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I have seen/heard people do hat in the LIBRARY with cellphones. When the library got new PC's they forgot to disable the internal speaker initially. Several times I heard people listen to streaming radio via the PC speaker. You know some of us are trying to study.

A fellow student politely asked one SC who was doing that. They stopped for a minutes. fellow student then got up calmly walked over and quickly pulled the power cable form the tower. Everyone clapped. Hope you had that paper saved, jerk.

Comment

One of my friend likes to fight fire with fire. Whenever he comes across such interesting people, he takes his own cellphone out of his pocket and makes it play bagpipe music. They usually get the message.

Comment

for your enjoyment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd1rN5BYeuo

they changed the song used but... hey that's just fine

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                              for your enjoyment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd1rN5BYeuo

they changed the song used but... hey that's just fine

BTW, what was the original song used in the movie?
                              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                              My LiveJournal
                              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Working...
                              X