This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An old story...

NOTE: While technically not really a job in that I didn't get paid, it still counted as work experience and ACE credit.

When I was in my junior year in high school my ACE internship was in the library, so during third period I would help shelve books and check out books, that way the school librarians could work on stuff in the back like order books and bind books, etc. (They also worked on textbooks)

But one time, I happened to overhear a bunch of racist hateful crap coming from a walking stereotype of a ghetto rapper. He is actually listening to his iPod and is of all things, singing along to his music IN THE LIBRARY. Before the seniors could walk up and complain, I walked over to the student and said "Can you please not sing in the library? There are people trying to study."
    (I left out the fact that we had also shared libraries with the Jr. High school that was renting space upstairs since I knew that he'd only sing louder and emphasize the epithets and slangs and F-Bombs if I had let him know 7th graders were scheduled to come in to work on Research assignments)

His response?
    Ghetto Rappa: "I'm not singing, i'm RAPPING!"

So I of course then just tell him to be quiet, and he actually does quiet down so that no one couldh ear him unless they were within 5 feet of him. Then he starts rapping louder again, this time so loud the librarian hears and she asks me to tell him to stop.

I explain to her that I had already told Mr. Rapper that he had been asked to quiet down already, so she walks over to tell him to quiet down, especially since someone came to pick up a printed assignment and I needed to hand it to them.

She then walks over and takes his iBuds out by the cord (which could break them) and tells him to quiet down. He just snaps them back and continues to yell hateful and racist garbage. Not losing her calm, she dialed the assistant principal and within a few minutes he walked in and asked him to stop rapping in the library. He does nothing but drone him out with racial epithets and sexism. He tried to use force, but that didn't work so he actually called the custodians. Three custodians walked in and then picked up the rapper and carried him out of the library. All the while, he didn't stop rapping, and then the 7th graders started to come downstairs and some of them asked me what the N-Bomb, H-slang, and F-Word meant. (I also had to help define a few words since some kids were too lazy to look them up themselves)

Fortunately he got suspended and had his iPod confiscated. He tried to do it again but this time he got hit with a permanent Library Ban unless accompanied by a Teacher. So far, Mr. Rapper is probably the first and only person to actually have been banned from the library.
    Kangaroo Squee!

Can't stand rap. I don't have anything against those that do like it, though. I understand "you enjoy your music". Even if it makes me want to naw off my own arm to distract me from the sound of it.

But seriously - whatever your music tastes, you dig it so much you HAVE to sing (let's just say sing even though he claimed rapping wasn't singing, m'kay?) it in the LIBRARY?! There are places and times. I dig that you dig your music. I dig that you wanna listen in the library. Go for it dude.

But I don't get being SO hell-bent on sharing it that you would get yourself banned by continuing to yell your (c)rap whilst being physically carried off the premises by three burly lads.

I mean ... WTF?

Comment

How come you never hear someone singing along to Sinatra in inappropriate places?
      "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Quoth Sheldonrs View Post
        How come you never hear someone singing along to Sinatra in inappropriate places?
        Yes. At a clinic for treating OCD.

"I've got yooou...
        Under my skin..."

The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
        "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
        Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Digitalpotato View Post
          ...and then the 7th graders started to come downstairs and some of them asked me what the N-Bomb, H-slang, and F-Word meant...
          I have to ask, what kind of 7th graders are these that have never heard the F-word?
          "Wouldn't that be unethical?"
          "That's only an issue for those who aren't already in Hell."
          --Dilbert

Comment

Um I've sung aloud songs from Rent in the lab-does that count?
            Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Rap or not, he was being loud and obnoxious in a Library...Refusing to stop doing so is grounds for kicking him out on the spot, I don't care if he's singing the Messiah Chorus (and doing it well!)
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I do. I'll sing Sinatra anywhere. Especially at work. The residents seem to like it. I'd like to think i do it justice, as opposed to rapper wannabe.

<sings> Fly me to the moon...</sing>
                Things just get so crazy living life gets hard to do. I would gladly hit the road, get up and go if I knew,that someday it would bring me back to you.

Comment

My calculus professor once told our class about the time he had to ask a random guy to stop singing opera. Apparently the singer was doing this beneath the classroom window while an exam was being administered. My teacher said he felt bad because the guy was really good...

Comment

Working...
                  X