This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You know its still winter right?

So this is just quick and simple.In my knick of the woods its still COLD....Its gonna be 27* for the high today. Well I lost count how many idiots keep coming in without coats or any protection at all.They literally stand and shake as if they are dying as they pay.I dunno,I still wearing my fuzzy sweaters and jeans.I swear people are getting stupider.

I see people going into Sam's Club wearing shorts! Then they get sick & make half the store sick & bitch & complain when there's not enough people to help them. They only have themselves to blame.
    I told someone that just because it's now the month of March that it doesn't automatically mean that it's going to be warm. Here in Pa, it doesn't stay warm till near the end of May. Then it gets blistering HOT!
    March has become notorious for having huge unexpected snow storms. PLUS it's possible to have snow in April AND May. Doesn't last too long but it can & has happened.

Comment

They literally stand and shake as if they are dying as they pay
      Isn't not being intelligent enough to keep your body temperature in the correct range a sort of natural selection?
      Last edited by Broomjockey; 03-02-2009, 06:39 PM. Reason: use the quote button, please
      A crisis is a problem you can't control. Drama is a problem you can, but won't. - Otter

Comment

I wish it'd stop being so flipping freezing here. It was bitter cold this morning and... I've discovered that bitter cold weather makes my fillings ache.

went to the post office after class and happened to talk about the weather with the lady there and ... she was glad to know she wasn't the only one who went through that. yeah it's teh sucksor

Comment

Quoth JambaBamba View Post
          Isn't not being intelligent enough to keep your body temperature in the correct range a sort of natural selection?
          Not if you can get an ER to treat you for hypothermia.
          Any day you're looking down at the dirt instead of up at the dirt is a good day.

Comment

I wear shorts in 40ºF and sometimes 30ºF temps (if no/little wind). I'll have a lightweight jacket on for my arms, but that's it -- and I'm still sweating even if it is cold out.

But then I find 50-60 degree temps comfortable; 70's "ok" 80's pushing it, and around 90 my body starts to shutdown [I fall asleep easy]... if it hits 100+ [and humid] my day will amount to drinking so much water that people will notice -- when I go for a jog in 80-90 degree temps, I'll literally down a gallon of water within a half hour if I don't watch it.

But there's a simple thing for dressing for temps: dress for where you're going to be most of the time. If your workplace keeps the place at 78+ degrees in the winter ("hot" to many people, or just hot to you), there's not really a need to be wearing really warm clothing when you'll be spending one minute, maybe two, in the cold (unless really cold, negative temps, stong winds, etc).

Comment

If it isn't bad enough that I see adults doing this and, as I type this, it's 22 degrees outside - but they're bringing out young children without any outerwear on. No heavy coat, mittens or scarves or hats even. Sometimes nothing more than a pair of sweatpants, a small hoodie and shoes (and believe me out here in the snow, that ain't enough.)

It's as if some of these people have no clue that that little child could *gasp* be cold. If it's cold to you and you're shivering and shaking, then a small child has got to be FREEZING.
              Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

I may sound like an idiot here, but any time we get a treat in Wisconsin, meaning temps in the 30s and 40s, I won't wear a jacket. When you've spent the last few months in temperatures mostly double digit below zero, 30 and 40 feels like summer.
                You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

As someone who can wear a winter coat in the summer and a T-Shirt and shorts in the winter and not be bothered, I would just like to interject not all of us care about or need to care about the temperature.
                  "It's times like these that make me wanna go straight."
                  James from Pokémon.

Comment

I doubt you "stand and shake as if ... dying" though.

"our neck of the woods" etymology

Comment

heh... shorts in "cold" weather. ... now I mentioned above that it's cold here right now.

today's not bad, but when i posted that, it was so chilly that the windshield-washer fluid would freeze on the window and my teeth were hurting. basically... "Cold for upstate NY standards" ... and i'm not totally adjusted to it yet cos i was gone for a long time...

but back when i was in say... virginia... it was fun laughing at all those people who were "freezing" when it was between 50-60 outside. they'd leave work bundled in winter parkas!

and then they'd see me... walking to my car wearing jeans and a tshirt with my coat over my arm. and they'd wonder why i wasn't an icecube. even to the point that some of them swore up and down that i was going to get sick. O_o

Comment

I get that all the time. Born and raised in Kansas (hot, humid summers, cold, if not horrible, winters). I moved out to California after the Air Force. It does not get cold.

It gets chilly. Enough that I might have to wear a light jacket, but it does not get cold. Not here, anyway.

Of course, most of those who live here think otherwise. They're wearing heavy, fur (or faux-fur) lined coats as soon as the temperature drops below 50.

Now, in their defense, my family - both back home and here - have come to the conclusion that I'm a throwback, and that my body is built for the Scottish Highlands.
                        The Case of the Missing Mandrake; A Jude Derry, Sorceress Sleuth Mystery Available on Amazon.

Comment

I saw three girls wearing skirts and flipflops today. Yes, it's warming up, and the snow is melting - but that's meltING, present tense, not past! There's two to five inches of SLUSH everywhere today. On top of ice, in places.

It's about ten degrees above freezing - I wore a sweater and a down vest and had my windshell with me in case it started to get cold again. Didn't need it. DID need the duckboots (half height rubber boots) and wooly socks!

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                            If it isn't bad enough that I see adults doing this and, as I type this, it's 22 degrees outside - but they're bringing out young children without any outerwear on. No heavy coat, mittens or scarves or hats even. Sometimes nothing more than a pair of sweatpants, a small hoodie and shoes (and believe me out here in the snow, that ain't enough.)

It's as if some of these people have no clue that that little child could *gasp* be cold. If it's cold to you and you're shivering and shaking, then a small child has got to be FREEZING.

Sorry, but I'm one of those parents who have and will continue to take my boys out without a coat/jacket. But, however, it's not entirely my fault. I remind them each morning to grab a jacket or coat depending on the weather. But hubby is the one that actually takes them to school, so if I leave before them, my reminder is about as good as if I didn't remind them. He also picks them up, brings them home to do homework before karate. When the leave to go to the karate school, he never remembers to remind them about a jacket. I get there usually after dark to take the littlest one home. Sometimes I have to make a stop on my way home with him. My fault that Dad forgot to remind him? Nope. My fault he didn't think to grab it on his way out the door? Nope. I did my part. I just keep hoping that my daily morning reminders will eventually stick.

Sad thing is that my eldest son (12) will take a zip up hoody to school (lockers aren't big enough for actual coats and they aren't allowed to wear them btwn classes) but refuses to wear it!

Somedays I just feel like giving up.

Comment

Quoth Stormraven View Post
                              I get that all the time. Born and raised in Kansas (hot, humid summers, cold, if not horrible, winters). I moved out to California after the Air Force. It does not get cold.

It gets chilly. Enough that I might have to wear a light jacket, but it does not get cold. Not here, anyway.

Of course, most of those who live here think otherwise. They're wearing heavy, fur (or faux-fur) lined coats as soon as the temperature drops below 50.

Now, in their defense, my family - both back home and here - have come to the conclusion that I'm a throwback, and that my body is built for the Scottish Highlands.
                              I was out in California (specifically in the LA area) in early Jan 1999 setting up my beta test site for the Y2K thing for the company I worked for at the time. at the time I lived in Chicago and we had just had a bad snow storm come thru, dump about 15 inches of snow and drop the temps to -5 during the day.

as I was going thru the airport on my way home I overheard 2 "young ladies" at the security checkpoint complaining how cold it was outside (about 75F at the time) . I turned to them and said if you want cold go to Chicago with temps about -5F and 2 feet of snow. I got a snotty look from them and kept on walking

I grew up in the Mid-west and I am used to the changing of the season and the extreams of the seasons. even seasoned lifers here always seem to complain that it is TOO DAMN hot or cold.

The funny thing was in Jan the temps were 75 - 80 degrees during the day and when I went back in JULY the temps were 65 - 70F during the day
                              Last edited by Racket_Man; 03-04-2009, 03:08 PM.
                              I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                              -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Working...
                              X