X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PG-13 for a reason

My sister was a bit sucky recently.

She took her 6 year old son to see Wolverine this past weekend.

Hellooo, it's PG-13 and it's a movie about a man with claws for hands!

I would not call that sucky necessarily. Maybe age inappropriate, but the child may be mature enough to handle it. I was watching R rated movies when I was that age and had no problems.

She would become sucky if the theatre did not want to allow the child in and she became an SC, or if the child was frightened by the movie and began disturbing other patrons.

IMO, anyway.

Comment

Eh, it depends on the kid, really. I can't recall anything particularly bad about Wolverine. I was tempted to LOL at a few scenes where a character would be impaled by swords/blades, which would always be perfectly clean and shiny when pulled back out.

I sent my sister's family the Lord of the Rings trilogy, extended versions as a gift, and her then 5 year old sat through the whole series, and only covered his eyes during the Shelob scenes. So long as a child knows how to separate fantasy from reality, some movies are fine. And with the right kind of parenting, the difference can be taught.

Now, I do have something different to say about the parent-of-the-year nominees who brought small kids to Watchmen . . .
      The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

Comment

What about 'Parents-of-the-Year' that brought their 6-8 year old kids to watch AvP: Requiem?

Comment

Quoth LadyBarbossa View Post
          I was tempted to LOL at a few scenes where a character would be impaled by swords/blades, which would always be perfectly clean and shiny when pulled back out.
          This. Other than the slightly disturbing-looking character at the end whom I can't reveal due to it being a spoiler, Origins: Wolverine was very tame for a modern action movie.

Comment

My brother had seen Full Metal Jacket when he was 7, and somehow he turned out normal.
            To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth LadyBarbossa View Post
              Now, I do have something different to say about the parent-of-the-year nominees who brought small kids to Watchmen . . .
              Yeah, seriously, what was up with that. We had several of them at the showing we went to.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

On a similar line, well along the lines of being 6 or so, has anyone noticed that cartoons of the late 80's/early 90's, cartoons for kids handled some quite serious and what would now be considered mature themes and subjects? (Battletech, Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors, Pirates of Darkwater, Dungeons & Dragons, Animals of Farthing Wood etc)
                Last edited by RayvenQ; 05-19-2009, 07:52 AM.
                I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

Comment

Every kid is different, so its up to parents to decide what their particular kid is ready for. I remember seeing Star Wars in the theater when I was five. I loved it, but remember being irritated that some kid right behind us kept crying.
                  The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                  "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                  Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

One of the times I went to see Jurassic Park at the theater (okay okay, I enjoyed it...sue me), there was a mom who brought her young son. Around the time the T-Rex ate the lawyer, he started to cry, so for the rest of the movie I had to hear, "there there...It's okay...It's not real". Geeze, obviously the kid couldn't handle that scene, please do the rest of the theater a favor and take him home.

Comment

I'm sorry, but nothing beats the Parents of The Year who thought bringing their infant to the midnight showing of Friday The 13th (the one that was in theaters this year) was the best idea ever.

At least all the teens in the theater screaming at the parents to shut their kid up or get out and the humiliation that caused finally encouraged them to leave.
                      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Mrs. TGK and I rarely go out to movies (Kung Fu Panda was the last; Revenge of the Sith before that--do the math). When we went to see Hanibal, there were 5 y.o.'s (at most) running up and down the stairs. What kind of moron takes a kid to see that kind of movie?!
                        I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                        -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
                          Mrs. TGK and I rarely go out to movies (Kung Fu Panda was the last; Revenge of the Sith before that--do the math). When we went to see Hanibal, there were 5 y.o.'s (at most) running up and down the stairs. What kind of moron takes a kid to see that kind of movie?!
                          maybe somebody who thought it would involve elephants and the Alps.

Comment

Maybe so, but even the most cursory view of the posters and trailers would make it clear that this movie is a sequel to The Silence of the Lambs.
                            I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                            -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
                              Maybe so, but even the most cursory view of the posters and trailers would make it clear that this movie is a sequel to The Silence of the Lambs.
                              that reminds me of a cartoon from several years ago. The picture is of this shocked looking family. the caption is:
                              "Another family that finds out Blue Velvet is not the sequel to National Velvet".

Comment

Working...
                              X