X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dealer sighting online

Quoth car dealer
    I have u scheduled for Wend the 29th at 8:00 if that wil not work please let me know
    Yes. That's the email I received from a car dealer here, in response to scheduling my car for routine service.

I mean seriously... I can see using "u" on a text message when you might run out of room, but on a professional letter?

Dear Dealer,

The appointment will work fine... but your spelling will not. Please repeat grades 2-12 for grammar and get back to me.

?
    "I'm not smiling because I'm happy. I'm smiling because every time I blink your head explodes!"
    -Red

Comment

Not to mention (but I will) "wend". Last I heard, the abbreviation is Wed. or sometimes WE. And in any case, the "n" is still AFTER the "d".
      "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Someone at work will sometimes send emails with text-speak. Translating text-speak is harder for me than translating the broken English in emails from our international customers. L used to do it all the time until I sent a polite response asking her to please type complete words since I was having difficulty understanding her emails. And I copied her boss. Amazing how quickly that worked

My guess is the mechanic typed fast and didn't read what he/she wrote. I have typos here all the time, but I try to take special care at work.
        A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

But it sounds like Wendsday...Or Wensday...

Some of the e-mails at work are atrocious and supposedly these are people that have gone to College.

Comment

Even though it was an e-mail, not a text, it is possible the dealer was sending the e-mail from their wireless device and therefore using text speak by habit.

Comment

I may be a little weird this way, but I refuse to support any business that cannot/will not spell correctly, especially if this is on their website or anything.

EX:

A friend of mine was referring me to his friend, an aerobics/dance instructor. So I checked out the website and there were SO many typos on his website... As if I wasn't nervous enough about going to a man for a pole dance workout, that sealed the deal.

Spent last weekend in a podunk town in Oregon for my cousin's wedding. This also happened to be the Saturday of my birthday. So Saturday morning my b/f gets me up and wants to take me out to breakfast. We start driving through town... There's the "Koffee Kup". The "Kountry Kitchen". The "Old Towne Diner". (While not technically 'wrong' the British spelling is incredibly pretentious in a town of maybe 200) Finally ended up at the "Homestyle Cafe". That I can deal with.

That dealer would have lost my business IMMEDIATELY.

Comment

I think business letters and memos should have proper spelling and grammar, no exceptions.
                You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth angelkirie View Post
                  The "Old Towne Diner".
                  If you're going to do that, shouldn't it be "Olde Towne Diner" then?

I hate when people spell things with K instead of C like that. If at least one of the words is supposed to start with K, than maybe it can be cute, but changing the initial letter of every word in the name for no apparent reason? Please don't.

I hate text-speak. It would take me longer to type something in text-speak than to just type the actual words. I do use a few abbreviations in actual text-messages, but mostly only for the sake of the 160-character limit on my phone. Usually it's things like "u" or "ur"...you'll never find a word like "l8r" in my text messages, though.
                  I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                  I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                  It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth angelkirie View Post
                    (While not technically 'wrong' the British spelling is incredibly pretentious in a town of maybe 200)
                    It's pretentious enough that even we don't use it over here more than once in a good while.

That's marketing for you - same shit, different packaging.

Rapscallion

Comment

It's not so much a British spelling as an Olde English spelling.

Finnish has much the same concept - there are some letters which have the same sound as other letters but which are no longer used. So the local equivalent of "old -> olde" is "vanha -> wanha".

Comment

Working...
                      X