Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ask her to pay for your cookie too ...

This morning, in <coffee shop>...

Three cheerleaders (their shorts said so!) came in and order 3 very complicated drinks with cookies or scones to go with. Then they each changed their drink order at least twice. The cashier and server were amazingly patient and just went with it.

As they were paying Girl #1, paid with her credit card (no problem),
    Girl # 2 paid with her credit card (again, no problem),
    Girl #3 paid cash and was short $1.

Seeing the tip bucket on the counter, G3 asked the cashier, "Can I just get it out of here? It's like that penny thing, right?"

The cashier was too stunned to respond I guess, her jaw dropped and G3 took that as approval and reached into the tip bucket (clearly marked "TIPS") and took out $2 (yes, that's right, $2). And gave one to the cashier, pocketing the other saying, "I may need it later."

I was directly behind her and saw what happended and asked (loudly), "Did you just take that from her tip jar? Why don't you ask her to pay for your cookie, too?"

G3's drink was called and she quickly walked away, but came back about 3 minutes later to complain her drink was wrong. She had asked for whip and she had none.

Since there was a sudden influx of customers, the server "wasn't able to get to her right away" and she left again without the corrected drink.

BTW, the other customers and I replaced the stolen tips and then some. We all felt really bad for the girls behind the counter! The server said that it happens at least once a day when there are only girls working the shop.

Uh, would you like my paycheck too? ~glares~

Yeah, sarcasm is lost on this thief.
    A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

No, no, wait...

And she still got her order? If I had been working at that place, I wouldn't have given her her drink since she clearly stole money from the establishment! And if she didn't return the tip money, I would've called the cops on her! Can't that be considered theft?

Comment

That's sick. Those girls are going to be sucking the income from some poor 'lucky' smuck someday! Or from the welfare system.
        "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

I would have grabbed girl3's drink as it was set on the counter, taken a nice long sip, and looked at her all puzzled. "I was thirsty, can't I like, have some of this?"
          OK, probably not.. but I sure would have liked to...

Comment

I wonder if there's any place that makes tip jars where money can be put in but not removed by any means short of unscrewing the lid...If not, maybe makeshift ones are in order, especially for this shop-- as it seems to be a problem there, in particular.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

The nonprofit that I volunteer at has a huge water jug (think the ones on Poland Spring dispensers, but made out of glass) as a donation jar. Aint no way anyone is sticking their hand in that thing. I was tasked a few weeks ago with emptying the thing and toting the cash to the bank. It took about 10 minutes for me to get all the money out.

1) That thing was only half-full but was it ever heavy. I had to be very careful not to drop it.
              2) Getting the change out wasn't too bad, but for most of the bills I had to resort to using a pair of chopsticks with the ends wrapped in duct tape, and shaking the jar upside down in exactly the right way.

I've seen locked tip jars/cans before, most looked like homebrew solutions.
              "I am quite confident that I do exist."
              "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

around here they keep tip jars under the counter out is sight/reach of the customers. we just leave it on the countr and they slide it into the jar. though some old bitty tried to grab a good-size tip i left on the counter once. didnt realize i was still standing there to make sure the cashier got it. aperantly i am scary without morning caffine.
                Siead

Hobby Twitter.

Comment

Why didn't the cashier tell her no, those are tips. And once the dollars were handed back, I'd be like: You're a dollar short and you're not getting it until you give me OTHER/YOUR money. But I'm pretty sure the cashier was worried about getting into trouble. That stupid girl--the thief.

Comment

What scares me is that it sounds like this is a regular occurrence at that shop. If it's the same person/group of people more often than not, I would recommend making sure it's on tape and then calling the police.
                    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

And this is why I think my idea is the best-a hole in the counter (small enough for a quarter and so people can fit rolled up bills in there), with a box below, and the tip jar emptied every couple hours or so so some creative genius doesn't pull out a chopstick with duct tape and fish for bills.
                      Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.-Winston Churchill

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                        I wonder if there's any place that makes tip jars where money can be put in but not removed by any means short of unscrewing the lid...If not, maybe makeshift ones are in order, especially for this shop-- as it seems to be a problem there, in particular.
                        You can do this with a simple plastic lid. Just use a regular knife to cut a narrow rectangle in the plastic. You can now put things into the jar easily enough, but to remove anything you will have to remove the lid.

Should work with other materials as well, of course, but usually the containers are just a plain empty plastic jug or jar.

Comment

The more I think about this, the more I feel robbed too.

I give nice tips when i can when i get really good service or when I want to cheer someone up and it REALLY irks me to think that some little snot is just dipping in and taking the money I contributed.

It would be like ME handing that little worm a dollar instead of the cashier. If I saw that I would DEMAND that she put it back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *roar*

Comment

Quoth jjllbb View Post
                            The more I think about this, the more I feel robbed too.

I give nice tips when i can when i get really good service or when I want to cheer someone up and it REALLY irks me to think that some little snot is just dipping in and taking the money I contributed.

It would be like ME handing that little worm a dollar instead of the cashier. If I saw that I would DEMAND that she put it back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *roar*

*agrees*

I mean, seriously... who does such a thing? I hate people...
                            http://www.deezer.com/#music/album/100130
                            Melody Gardot

Comment

Working...
                            X