This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is that a child working in a C-store?

Around a week ago I bought a lottery ticket for a family member. Walked into the store, went to the lotto display to fill out a selection slip and took it to the counter, noticed the "employee" was no more than 10. He sold a pack of smokes to the middle-aged man ahead of me (and carded him! I loved that) and then carded me for the lotto tickets, saying "2009 less 1990 is 19, ok".

Cute, but WHAT THE HELL?!
    Otaku

Primordial dwarfism (It makes grown adults look like children, especially facially), possibly? I hope....

Comment

Perhaps his parents owned the place. I believe in those circumstances it would be legal.
      You're focusing on the problem. If you focus on the problem, you can't see the solution. Never focus on the problem! --From Patch Adams

Comment

Well, you know in this economy.....
        I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Comment

Was it by any chance Kathy Lee Giffords' House of Smokes and Lottery?

"All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Quoth BrightEyedKitty View Post
            Perhaps his parents owned the place. I believe in those circumstances it would be legal.
            Sounds like it. Although I think his parents need to make sure that he's carding people correctly
            The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Actually for it to be legal his parents would have to own at least 51% of the business, and the kid would have to be at least 13.

and even then you couldn't sell, Cigs, Alcohol, (or possibly lotto) if he was under 18.
              <Insert clever signature here>

Comment

Quoth Lingering Grin View Post

and even then you couldn't sell, Cigs, Alcohol, (or possibly lotto) if he was under 18.
                that depends on the state/province... Nevada will allow you to sell tobacco at 17 (or at least used to, that might have changed).
                If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

When I worked at McD's, there were two brothers that worked there. One was a manager and was like 6 and a half feet tall. The other one was about 4 foot 4, and was the OLDER of the two brothers. (he was 19, but looked 13. His brother was 18)

I dont remember what it was that caused him to have the growth abnormality.

What got on nerves of everyone who worked with him were the customers who would tell us that they were going to report the store for employing a child. I started to get a bit testy with the customers...because it would happen several times a day everytime I worked with him.

It really irritated that kid and his brother tho. His brother felt bad that he was "normal" looking, while his older brother looked like he was the younger brother. (the reason he was a manager and his brother wasnt, was that he'd worked at our store longer and wanted to be a manager...his brother wasnt interested)

Comment

One of the newer members of the local gaming club is a 15 year old kid who works at a nearby gas station/convenience store.

One night he was in after he left work, and he still had his "must check ID for cigs" button on.

Several of us had a good laugh at the fact that you would have to show ID to buy smokes from a kid who isn't old enough to buy them himself.
                    "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

Might be legal for him to work in the store if his family owns the store, although convenience stores are pretty dangerous due to robberies so I dunno the exact law on that. However, I doubt it's legal for the kid to sell lottery tickets, tobacco, or alcohol.

Comment

Back in 2002, Toronto, we observed a 10 year old boy work at Gino's Pizza, the owners' kid I guess.

We saw him drop a piece of pizza, it landed on the floor, he quickly picked it up, placed it into the rotating heated display.

Never eating from Gino's, ever again.
                        Good Morning Base, 209 is Mobile !

Comment

one of my old coworkers had worked with a guy like that... he was in his mid 20s but looked like a minor

needless to say they got a LOT glares when out drinking - but that usually made him crack up.

Comment

My step-daughter worked for a major grocery store chain (HEB) when she was 17. She was legally able to sell beer and cigarettes. She always got a laugh when she would see her high school classmates in a different line with beer in their cart. She'd call the other teller and say, hey, your next person in line is underage. I'm sure the kids were a little bit upset when they couldn't score their alcoholic beverages. Oh well!
                            Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Agreed. Not sure if it's legal here in Florida, but then again I don't personally see that as a child labor law violation.

My dad used to always go to this one tire place to get new tires and the head mechanic/owner always had his son helping him out. He was like 11 last time we went there and was changing tires like he worked in the pit crew of a racing crew.

Comment

Working...
                              X