This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catholic SC

I was reminded of this by the "My step aunt is an SC" thread. The joys.

My ex boyfriend was Catholic; which was fine I dont care what religion people are really but evidently his family did. I got lots of veiled comments because I'm not Catholic but since I've been brought up to be TOLERANT I just answered politely. Essentially, his whole family looked down on me for being atheist and poorer than them.

Anyway, his awful aunt was coming into town and I was invited out to dinner with them. Like, yay. Nice Italian place, quite pricey so I intended to get the most expensive and make them pay for their insults. First; they dont say please or thank you to the servers and bark their food orders at him. I make it my duty to thank him for EVERYTHING that he does; I was so embaressed. My ex's 13 year old brother is the type that cries and whines like a freakin toddler when adults were around so he was bouncing about and wobbling the table etc.

His aunt asks me what my mum does and raises her eyebrows when I tell her. She enquires if im catholic even though she knows I'm not and raises her eyebrows again. At this point his brother smacks his head on a tiled wall and bursts into tears.

I'm already mortified at his abhorrent behaviour and his bad table manners but now he starts howling like a dog. Quite frankly. I felt no sympathy for him it was his own fault. Of course, his beloved aunt starts to coddle him and *dear god* clicks her fingers at the passing waiter and demands ice for the poor soul's head. Its the rudest thing you can do to restaurant staff I can think of. All i could do was look apologetically at the guy as he brought the bucket of ice. I was one mortified sinner.

They are sucky people, and sucky customers, but it has less to do with their being Catholic and more to do with them just not being nice people.

The Catholic religion is such that it is preferred that people date and marry within their faith. There are valid reasons for that which do not involve bias nor bigotry.
    That would be why his family was concerned about your own religious beliefs.

I would hope that any further discussion in this thread would involve the sucky aspect of the character of these people, and not the Catholic religion.
    Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

As I always say:

It's not the Religion factor. It's the Asshole factor.
      http://www.deezer.com/#music/album/100130
      Melody Gardot

Comment

Funny though--I don't see how his aunt had any business deciding who her nephew chose to date. That's pushing into non-cool territory.

Especially an aunt who clicks her fingers at waiters. If I had a nephew, I'd certainly be concerned if he were dating someone who snapped fingers at waitstaff. Yet I would keep my trap shut because nice religion or no, it's none of my freaking business.

Comment

I'm a nice person. Honest. But I would've been stifling laughter when a 13-year old bumped his poor itty bitty head caused by his own shenanigans.
          A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth chocoBug View Post
            Of course, his beloved aunt starts to coddle him and *dear god* clicks her fingers at the passing waiter and demands ice for the poor soul's head.
            Reminds me of Harry's muggle aunt from The Prisoner of Azkaban, the way she snapped her fingers to get Harry to clean up a shattered drink.
            Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Unfortunately, being one religion or another doesn't automatically make you a good person. I cannot stand people who think they are perfect people simply because they believe in this or that! My mom is Roman Catholic and I think she should be nominated for Sainthood and she has her own interpretation of the religion and is just generally a kind and awesome person; doesn't care what religion or lifestyle someone else has as long as they're happy. She and my dad were fine with my decision in religious beliefs, and the fact that I live with my boyfriend.

I hate people telling me what a horrible person I am simply because of what I do or don't believe, and also when they take it upon themselves to tell me why what I believe in is wrong! None of their business.
              "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post
                Reminds me of Harry's muggle aunt from The Prisoner of Azkaban, the way she snapped her fingers to get Harry to clean up a shattered drink.
                hell it reminds me of most of harry's living family

especially the child who cried like a dog

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
                  I hate people telling me what a horrible person I am simply because of what I do or don't believe,
                  Yeah, me too. It's like all the things I actually DO to be a horrible person don't even matter!

Seriously, though: definitely an asshole family. No wonder the OP stopped dating him, when he didn't even have the decency to defend her against his family.
                  You gotta polish a memory like a stone. Chip off the parts that remind you it was just a game. Work it until it's indistinguishable from any other memory.

Comment

Quoth Ree View Post
                    I would hope that any further discussion in this thread would involve the sucky aspect of the character of these people, and not the Catholic religion.
                    oh no way, I am certainly not against any religion or particularly religious people. It was more that they were sucky for not respecting what I believe in (and for clicking at wait staff), not so much them being catholic. maybe it was because they were older? Older people tend to be less PC about stuff

Comment

Mum was a bit like that... our boyfriends had to be of our religion, blah blah blah. I kept Hub's faith out of the conversation until AFTER she met him. She means well, but it often comes out so wrong, y'know?

Turns out she loves my hubs and was fine with him being Buddhist after all was said and done. Hell, she even cornered me in her kitchen and wagged a giant fork in my face and muttered 'If you don't marry him, you're dead. He's a sweetheart.'

XD

(on topic)

However, I know people who are rude as all hell. I refuse to eat out with my best friend's family anymore. Kim was a woman who would try to HAGGLE the prices on the menu with the waiter and then proceed to complain about every minor fault on the meal. Such as 'but this plate is not as pictured.'

Some people are just rude.
                      "The problem isn't usually that there are stupid people in the world as much as it is that the stupid people like to call or come in and point out how stupid they are to the working public" -Justa

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
                        My mom is Roman Catholic and I think she should be nominated for Sainthood and she has her own interpretation of the religion and is just generally a kind and awesome person; doesn't care what religion or lifestyle someone else has as long as they're happy.
                        This is reminiscent of my *extended* family right there. Oddly enough, while my *immedate* family falls under how I have always described myself -- "Generic Christian". Mom/Dad/Bro have always been the type who would say "As long as you are a nice/good person and treat your waiters right, you can believe whatever you want".

...Okay, I may have slipped the waiter bit in there, but let's just say that waiters who have helped us in the past generally like us ^_^
                        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Being outsomewhere in public with rude people is the worst because then YOU'RE lumped in as being 'one of those assholes' since, well.. Odds are no ones (or not many people) are noticing the nice quiet polite person but the 10 squawking, annoying, pushy, rude people.

and yea... sorry. 13 and doing crap like that? Parents need to tell him to grow the *word deleted* up.

I'm pretty sure even 3 year olds know enough that 'hey if i smack my head off this big hard thing it'll hurt!'

The religion thing is tough. My gf's familys pretty religious. well her dads side is. To the point that I've met the man once and i'm good never EVER talking to him again.

I'm all for people believing what they want. But if you start preaching to me about how i shold change my ways etc. etc. (yea im an atheist wooo no big deal). then i start to run out of patience VERY quickly.

Didn't say anything rude... so far. but if it happens again then I probably will.
                          Common sense... So rare it's a goddamn superpower.

Comment

Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post
                            Ugh..I remember that wench. Aunt Marge....*shudders*. No wonder he's your ex, that family is nothing but a bunch of narcissistic assholes.
                            I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                            Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                            Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Quoth Calud View Post
                              As I always say:

It's not the Religion factor. It's the Asshole factor.
                              the Religion factor though can make the Asshole factor much worse... assholes will use whatever tool they can to be an asshole, and religion just happens to be a very powerful tool for them to use.
                              Last edited by smileyeagle1021; 08-30-2009, 01:36 PM. Reason: edited to be more CS friendly
                              If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Working...
                              X