This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Levels of professionality

Popped off to see Dances with Smurfs today. Call me a fool with my money, but I was hungry and hit the concession stand.

Guy serving was a model of professionalism. Mouthing off about the customer who'd just left (apparently had shortchanged him a few pence) and then bossing around his colleagues to get some of my order for me - not obviously in jest.

After the film, I made my way to a Frankie and Benny's (Italian/New York food). Not sure if the chain's a UK only thing or not and can't be bothered to check.

Ah, impetuous youth. I'm trying to work out if it's because I'm too old, but it's now apparently considered fine to refer to patrons as 'mate' or 'pal', until it comes to the bill, when someone becomes 'sir'.

Any thoughts on the latter?

Rapscallion

If you're going with "mate" or "pal," I'd stick with it right up to the bill, and beyond. Otherwise, it comes off as disingenuous. Also depends on the atmosphere of the restaurant. Most chain places I'd figure you could get away with "mate," though "pal" is probably a bit much.
    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Agreed with Broom, stick to the same tone throughout any transaction or meal since otherwise it sounds weird. Don't ask about the lack of sirs Raps, I'd just put it down to different atmospheres of different places.
      How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

Lack of sirs don't really bother me when directed at me. I just wondered about as a general principle. It's a slightly pricey restaurant, all done and said, and the youth was rather familiar in approach, which made me blink.

Rapscallion

Comment

Working...
        X