This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traffic mess at 5 p.m. at the faculty/staff garage

I had to work the first & second shift this Wednesday. Since I'm hourly, I get overtime, & I could use the money.

The parking office sells parking passes to night school students, & these passes are used to park in the faculty/staff garage. But... these passes are programmed to only begin working at 5:15 p.m. Monday through Thursday.

Campus police can issue a parking citation to anyone obstructing traffic or exits.

Campus police & the parking office do not want any student having a night school parking pass to wait at or near the entrance gate to the faculty/staff garage because that causes a traffic backup. Plus the faculty/staff exit is on the same side as the faculty/staff entrance.

I'm sitting inside the booth, & I notice that traffic is backing up at that garage. There is a long line of traffic on the left hand side of the street in front of the visitor parking booth, & there is a long line of traffic on the right hand side of the visitor parking booth. Plus there were cars trying to exit the metered lot across the street, & there were cars exiting the faculty/staff garage.

I knew it was not 5:15 p.m. yet. I look at the time on the computer inside the booth, & it's 5 p.m.

A university cop arrives at the gate across from the visitor parking booth window that I use to open & speak to the customers. I open that gate, & he parks behind the booth. He walks up to each car waiting in the line at the faculty/staff garage entrance to see if that person is either 1) a night school student, 2) a night school instructor, 3) a university employee, or 4) a handicapped parker since there are several handicapped spots in that garage. He tells the night school students to back up so the faculty, staff, & handicapped parkers can enter that garage. All but one student backed up. The student who did not back up argued with him. He raised his voice & told her to back up. She would not back up. He raised his voice again & told her to back up. She argues with him again. He raised his voice, & told her to back up. She finally does that, but she is blocking the exit to that garage. There were cars trying to exit that garage, but they could not do that since she was blocking the exit. The cop raised his voice & tells her to back up some more. She does that, & the cars are able to exit. Then she told him, in a snotty tone of voice, that it was 5:15, but it was not. The cop told her it was not 5:15 p.m. She pulled up to the entrance gate, & tried to enter by using her access card, but the gate did not go up.

Finally at 5:15 p.m. she was able to enter the garage. After that, the university cop stood in the street in front of the visitor parking booth, & directed traffic. Another university cop stood at the entrance gate to the faculty/staff garage while the night school students were entering that garage.

When the university cop who was directing traffic in the street that was in front of the visitor parking booth was done, he walked back to his cop car. I waved at him, & he waved back. Then he walked up to the booth window. I opened it, & he said "have you ever wanted to kill someone?" I laughed, & he said "I wanted to kill 5 students who were blocking the entrance to the faculty/staff garage."
    Last edited by snugglegirl05; 01-23-2010, 02:31 PM.

He must be a really nice guy. I'd give the woman a ticket for blocking traffic.
    A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

I'd have given her a ticket for blocking traffic, and one for arguing with the campus cop...and then I'd probably have suggested to the university that they revoke her parking pass.

But then, I'm mean like that.

Comment

Working...
      X