This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boss Man brags about being an SC...

Boss Man came in bragging about how he was an SC.

You may have heard about the Build-a-Bear video on their website that had some controversial political views in it (please, let's keep that discussion out of this thread!). People complained, Build-a-Bear took down the video to appease the complainers, we're all hunky-dory now, right?

Boss Man specifically went into a Build-a-Bear shoppe the other day to complain to the employees about that video.

This is the discussion he relayed to me:

BM: I just want to let you know, I'm never buying your bears here. You put that video on your website that scared my little girl.
    Employee: I know, we did take that video down from the website.
    BM: Still, it scared my little girl, the damage has been done.

BM then went into a lengthy political diatribe. As it turned out, the hapless employee actually agreed with his political opinions, yet he still kept going off on the employee about the video before finally leaving.

Boss Man finished his tale with a huge grin. I said nothing. I wanted to rip him a new one for going into a store solely for the purpose of going off on an employee who had nothing to do with said video. Since he was my boss, though, I don't think me going off on him would have gone over too well. Needless to say, I've lost a little respect for him...
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

what a jerk

sounds like he was getting off on abusing them.
    did he have a bad day at home or something?

one of my co-workers was like that. whenever he had issues with his wife (marriage falling apart) he would invariably end up trying to take it out on others

Comment

And the point of him doing all that was... what, exactly?

It doesn't sound like he was after any sort of "compensation." If that's what it was, I could see it. Not that I agree with it, of course, but at least that would have made some sort of sense. Sounds like all he wanted to do was bitch.

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
      BM then went into a lengthy political diatribe. As it turned out, the hapless employee actually agreed with his political opinions, yet he still kept going off on the employee about the video before finally leaving.
      Sadly, we get the same sort of thing on here once in awhile from members -- usually newer ones -- who can't seem to grasp the concept of keeping controversial subjects such as politics off here and take it to the other board we have set up specifically for that.

I've personally stepped in a few times, only to have the other person claim that I and/or the site is pro-Obama if he posted a rant against that particular admistration, or pro-Bush if he ranted about that one. It doesn't matter if I happen to agree with the opinion that was posted, if I took it down, the board and/or I must be a supporter of the politician he ranted about, and nothing will convince him otherwise. Not sure why he thinks a site owner living in the U.K. would give a rat's ass about U.S. politics, but some of these people got so upset that they called us horrible names and/or threatened to leave and never come back.

I'm not even going to get into the intelligence (or lack thereof) of insulting someone who can ban you, but as far as throwing yourself on the floor and screaming that you're never shopping posting here again my work on small-minded retail managers, but it doesn't work on us. If someone is so intent on leaving, we usually help them along their way, via a ban. And interestingly enough, some of these people who claim they were never coming back, I catch them trying to sneak back in under a different name and get to ban them again.
      Sometimes life is altered.
      Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
      Uneasy with confrontation.
      Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

What a dick.

Is he usually a pretty decent manager, or is he always an asshole?
        "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Quoth Peppergirl View Post
          What a dick.

Is he usually a pretty decent manager, or is he always an asshole?
          Normally he's pretty decent, which is why I was pretty surprised at this. He does have very strong political views, and when he gets into a rant there's no pulling him out of it until he's done beating it into the ground. It doesn't excuse his actions, but I can see him not realize how carried away he gets sometimes.
          Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Huh, it's probably a good thing I have no idea what this is about...

Comment

ugh.

i hate when people carry their political views too far like that, especially in the work place.

that employee is working an honest job making a living
              they do NOT need to receive personal harassment over what the company itself or the founder believes in. not everyone has the finances available to just up and quit whenever their boss or employer says something that they dislike.

my own divo @ the last ship tried to corner me into a political statement. he saw the political magazine that had come for me in the mail (couldn't get mail sent anywhere else either) & i think it bothered him, so he had to make a comment to me. and try to corner me into a statement. didn't work tho - my reply neatly evaded the trap he laid out for me. ... but it did rather annoy me that he tried in the first place. never approached him with my political views, he just saw what i'd gotten in the mail.
              Last edited by PepperElf; 01-26-2010, 04:52 AM.

Comment

This is why people hate politics so much (both sides have troublemakers that ruin it for their candidate). I'm not sure if he was really complaining about the politics....maybe he was just using that as an excuse to be a dick.

Comment

Quoth Brojekk View Post
                  This is why people hate politics so much (both sides have troublemakers that ruin it for their candidate). I'm not sure if he was really complaining about the politics....maybe he was just using that as an excuse to be a dick.
                  Dicks don't need excuses to be a dick. Most of that type that I've met will thrust their dickery at people without even that.

*sigh*

EDIT: Of course having a private cause, whatever it may be, allows them to justify their actions in their own minds, because deep down, no sane (or reasonable facsimile thereof) wants to admit to themselves that they may be the bad guy.
                  Last edited by Null Requiem; 01-26-2010, 09:14 AM. Reason: Added stuff.

Comment

Quoth Null Requiem View Post
                    Dicks don't need excuses to be a dick. Most of that type that I've met will thrust their dickery at people without even that.
                    *isn't going to make the obvious comment about "compensating"*

Seriously though, there are people who enjoy pushing other people around...especially when their victims can't retaliate. Imagine what would have happened if the employee would have told the guy to go fuck himself. I have a feeling that management would have been reamed out, corporate would have been called, someone would have been written up...and the asshole would have been given freebies. In short, they get away with it, because they can. Unfortunate, but some people are just jerks.
                    Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
                      Not sure why he thinks a site owner living in the U.K. would give a rat's ass about U.S. politics,
                      Only concerned to the extent that I know that this community functions rather nicely without politics of any sort fouling the water

but some of these people got so upset that they called us horrible names and/or threatened to leave and never come back.
                      Oh, they do get perturbed, don't they? Poor dears, I hope they remember to take their heart medication. Doesn't matter what sides are in a fight, you get some ... enthusiasts on both sides.

What really amuses me is that they're effectively saying, "If you don't let me post here, I'm not going to post here!"

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Hobbs View Post
                        I'd not heard of this myself. I hit Google with some obvious keywords and worked it out fairly soon.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Hobbs View Post
                          Heh. Me either.

To everyone:

Best to leave the speculation to fratching since the OP made an effort to make sure this thread stayed away from specifics.
                          The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

I'm rolling my eyes here. I've seen the videos and trust me, they're tame compared to some of the ridiculous drivel I've seen over the years. And I will NOT stop going to Build A Bear. I have a few nieces and nephews who have gotten gifts I've made for them over the year and there are still a couple of young ones who have presents still to come.
                            Random conversation:
                            Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
                            DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

personally i don't use b-a-b but only cos they're flippin expensive

O_o

Comment

Working...
                              X