This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tip Lady Saga

I put this in sightings since, well, she was never a customer, just somone who loved hovering in our store. Sorry its long, its not even that sucky (depending on how you look at it) but it is definately very strange!

Note: The coffee shop I work in is just inside the doors to the centre I work at. Immediately after us the food court commences

For a reason I can't remember, I ended up doing many a weekday close with our then supervisor, T. I'd done three in a row when I first noticed this lady. Elderly, and for some reason always wearing a red jumper. She was hovering around the outskirts of our store, just inside. She'd been there the days before too. I watched her from behind the til, smiling in case she decided to approach. After a while she moved onto the next store. I asked T about her, who said she'd seen her too, everyday at 4pm. I was curious. The lady came back by us later, after doing the rounds of the other shops, and hurried away when she saw me still there. (Note- I am obviously observant. People catch me watching them all the time and I can hold eye contact better then anyone I know)

The next week comes around, and once again I have the closes. 4pm on the dot, she shows up. T and I had discussed her, and now we stood behind the coffee machines and watched quietly. She got braver and moved closer. I went out and 'mugged' her, asking if there was anything I could help her with, etc. She seemed flustered I had asked, and muttered something about researching for a lunch with friends. She took off not much later, after I offered some friendly suggestions. Now, I'll start to shorten this story. You get the idea. We saw her everday.

Over the next month, we continued to see her. We were suspicious of what she was doing now, as every time we approached, she bailed, but every time we were busy, she approached the counter. T reported seeing her check our tip jar (bowl, technically) often, going so far as to reach into it, at which point T walked in front of her and she bailed.

Then one day, when myself and T are on again, one of the centres security guards approached us. He described the lady to us, and asked if we had seen her. We explained. He said the stores outside ( there's a pub, and a few more restaraunt type places) had seen her too, and the day before she'd been caught on camera STEALING the whole tip jar off our neighbour!

They refused to press charges on the little old lady, but everyone in the centre were warned. The security began to follow her, quietly. Apparently, she always started outside, working her way inside, checking every location for the tip jars. We were a favourite, since our tip bowl was in a nice obvious place, but unlucky for her, we were very observant. After a few weeks, the security told us to watch but LET her steal it! They would reimburse us.

Despite two more weeks, she was too nervous around us to make a move. Then later, she disappeared. We quizzed security about it. They had caught her a second time outside. They didn't prosecute, but the cops took into account the bizarre story and removed her license (she always drove). Apparently her relatives had reported she had dementia, and the cops deemed it unsafe for her to be driving. We haven't seen her or her red jumper since.

We were glad no one pressed charges, but seriously, why would someone (dementia explains the repeated sightings) want to steal a tip jar? Best reason we could see was no one would prosecute over it. Kept us amused for a few months none-the-less!

What I feel bad about is that her relatives were letting her wander around unsupervised and, though she knew she was getting into trouble and should not be driving, they let her anyway. Dementia makes people do the strangest things. My grandpa, near the end, thought his nurses were simultaniously trying to assasinate him, and come-on to him!
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
      My grandpa, near the end, thought his nurses were trying to assasinate him!
      That's sad, but was he on any form of morphine? I can remember being completely drugged up in hospital with morphine and for some reason it made me get paranoid and i actually told one of the nurses that i knew they were waiting for me to go to sleep so they could kill me! I was mortified when I came out of it enough to realise what was going on.
      Customer "why did you answer the phone if you can't help me?"

Comment

Quoth Fly View Post
        We were glad no one pressed charges, but seriously, why would someone (dementia explains the repeated sightings) want to steal a tip jar? Best reason we could see was no one would prosecute over it. Kept us amused for a few months none-the-less!
        Dementia explains stealing the tip jar too. It makes people that have it totally act not themselves. From cussing people out, to sexually assaulting people, to illegal activities.

Its sad that the family wasnt a little more active in her care (if she even had one). She shouldnt have been able to be alone for that long. I hope she got the help she needed.

The security shouldve gotten the authorites, office of aging involved.

Comment

My friend A started her own drive-thru coffee hut here in between a c-store/gas station, nice-ish bar/restaurant, across from a truck stop and the main UPS hub. So yeah, GOOD location. She has this guy that looks JUST LIKE Charles Manson (sans swastika) ripping off her baristas every afternoon, till she finally drummed it into them that, duh, you're outdoors in the middle of a lot, manning two windows, remove tips every so often so he doesn't sneak up and rip you off.

That guy finally got arrested or relocated, now all they have to worry about is Lot Lizard Lady coming by in the mornings when she's had a slow night at the truck stop. (lot lizards are prostitutes for truckers, for those that don't know).
          ...how do used tampons attract thieves? ---Sleepwalker

Chickens are Asexual!

Comment

Sadly, there's a lot of unscrupulous people who will either steal from tip jars or take the entire thing. There's other stories on the board telling such tales.

It's also the reason why my local McDonald's remove the McDonald's House collection thingie every so often to empty it of money. It's because thieves have managed to crack it open or steal the entire thing.
            A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

I and some coworkers once BOLTED the plastic tip jar to the countertop. As in, we ran a bolt through the bottom of the jar into the countertop.

We had several good laughs at idiots who tried the grab-and-run. One guy grabbed the jar, turned to run with the jar in his arms, and fell flat on his face.

It was also fun to watch the sneaky grabbers like red jumper lady. The looks on their faces when the tip jar stayed immobile were priceless!

I hope red jumper lady gets the help she needs.

Comment

If someone has dementia, don't look for logic. There is no logic. If that lady was in her right mind, she'd probably be mortified at her own behavior.

I'm curious to know, however, why her caregivers are not mortified that she's out unsupervised. Because I don't even know this lady and I'm mortified.

Comment

Quoth Dytchdoctir View Post
                  I and some coworkers once BOLTED the plastic tip jar to the countertop. As in, we ran a bolt through the bottom of the jar into the countertop.

We had several good laughs at idiots who tried the grab-and-run. One guy grabbed the jar, turned to run with the jar in his arms, and fell flat on his face.

Only thing better to do would be to run the bolt to a length of wire-rope that was in turn secured to something like the floor.

This would give the attempted thief a couple of steps to get some speed going before getting yanked off his feet.

Triple bonus points if it would be caught on camera.

B
                  "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
                  I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                    I'm curious to know, however, why her caregivers are not mortified that she's out unsupervised. Because I don't even know this lady and I'm mortified.
                    If I had to guess she has no caretakers in that sense of the word.

My grandmother swore up and down that she was fine, she could drive, she could take care of herself, etc. Any time my mother (or me) tried to talk to her about giving up driving or moving to a smaller place she threw a fit. We got rid of the car, and got her into long term care, but that doesn't matter for this post.

It could be that this woman wouldn't listen to reason and they got tired of arguing with her, so they let her do her own thing, hoping she doesn't get into trouble, and then if she does they can just say "well she has dementia".

There's no guarantee that she's even been diagnosed with it.

Comment

Quoth TelephoneAngel View Post
                      That's sad, but was he on any form of morphine? I can remember being completely drugged up in hospital with morphine and for some reason it made me get paranoid and i actually told one of the nurses that i knew they were waiting for me to go to sleep so they could kill me! I was mortified when I came out of it enough to realise what was going on.
                      That's what happened to my Grandma last summer. She had issues with her gallbladder and finally had to go into the hospital to have it taken out. They hopped her up on drugs and the things she was seeing! It's funny now that she's better, but at the time it was so scary! We'll retell the stories now and she'll laugh along, but she'll just shake her head at the end and say, "It was all SO REAL to me! I really thought all of that was happening!"

Comment

Working...
                      X