This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ice Cream Parlor sighting

It was a beautiful day in the merry month of... March... when I decided that an awesome day would be made even better with the addition of a hot fudge sundae. So I schlep to the closest purveyor of frozen dessert and I enter to see that the previous patron has been given the wrong change by the obviously new girl behind the counter. As I look over the frozen options, she gets flustered, her awesome manager gets called out, and while the irate gentleman tries to argue that he deserves more money back she counts out money to the penny and he goes on his way with a scowl.

I see that the girl is flustered, so I resolve to be extra nice. Luckily for her I was there, as the family that came in after me...

There was a mom, a girl whose tutu led me to believe that she'd just come from a dance recital, and a pair of grandparents. The only one of the group who was not a SC was the daughter.

It started off simply enough, as grandpa "jokes" that the bubble gum ice cream sample size was going to be as big as the scoop I was getting for my sundae, right, hyuk, hyuk? Awesome manager didn't respond to that and just gave the granddaughter a nice smile as she passed the spoon over.

Grandma had a question. "Does this peanut butter ice cream have any nuts in it? I can't eat nuts, I'm allergic. Are there any nuts in this peanut butter ice cream?" Awesome manager manages to say that yes, there are peanuts in it. "Oh, I can't have it then. Do you have any peanut ice cream without nuts?" Awesome manager assures grandma that this is not going to happen. This conversation takes about a minute and a half.

While the manager is answering Grandma's question mom is standing at the other end of the counter. "Excuse me." Pause. "Excuse me." Pause. "Excuse me." Pause. "Excuse me." Pause. "Excuse me." Pause. "Excuse me." Pause. "Excuse me." The manager turns and apologizes for the wait in responding, saying that she thought that they were all one group. Mom gets a funny look on her face, replies "Oh, yes, we are," then asked her question.

At this point my ice cream is done so I pay and leave. I felt sorry for the people stuck behind the counter, and a little smug that I managed to keep the SCs from attacking the new girl.

Quoth Cymberleah View Post
    "Does this peanut butter ice cream have any nuts in it? I can't eat nuts, I'm allergic. Are there any nuts in this peanut butter ice cream?" Awesome manager manages to say that yes, there are peanuts in it. "Oh, I can't have it then. Do you have any peanut ice cream without nuts?"
    ...I need a wall to bash my head against....
    Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Quoth RetailWorkhorse View Post
      ...I need a wall to bash my head against....
      Any around there that need demolishing neatly?

Good for that manager! (Good luck with that fun family.)
      Dull women have immaculate homes.

Comment

Nope, I'd have to put one up in order to tear one down (I just realized I live in a two-room space in the RV, only walls I have is the ones surrounding the bathroom).

Comment

Grandma had a question. "Does this peanut butter ice cream have any nuts in it? I can't eat nuts, I'm allergic. Are there any nuts in this peanut butter ice cream?" Awesome manager manages to say that yes, there are peanuts in it. "Oh, I can't have it then. Do you have any peanut ice cream without nuts?" Awesome manager assures grandma that this is not going to happen. This conversation takes about a minute and a half.
          God, imagine the conversation if she was allergic to dairy products.
          My other car is a Mackinaw.

Comment

Quoth ZedOmega View Post
            (does anyone have a good LMAO smiley?)

I've gone for gelato recently. But only because I know that place makes dairy free gelato. (They tried making some with goat's milk, but stopped. Which is a shame, because a) I like the non-fruit flavours and b) chocolate and goat's milk is a great combination).

Comment

Quoth ZedOmega View Post
              I'm imagining it. I think I'm gonna need another wall.

Comment

Quoth ZedOmega View Post
                Don't some shops sell frozen yogurt to cover that angle?

Comment

Frozen Yogurt is still a dairy product, though, isn't it?

Comment

Quoth dendawg View Post
                    Bolded to point out the inconsistency.

Comment

Quoth dendawg View Post
                      Yogurt's a dairy product, also.
                      My other car is a Mackinaw.

Comment

yes, yogurt is a dairy product; made from fermented milk.

how *yes, i gotta ask it* can anyone not know that anything with the word 'nut' in it isn't a nut? (technically, peanuts are a tuber or something like that). the only nut in the store was her, apparently.
                        look! it's ghengis khan!
                        Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Legume, not tuber.

.....how did I know that?

Comment

rw, you are my hero; i knew it wasn't a nut, but the right category didn't come to me...i blame it on finals week.
                            look! it's ghengis khan!
                            Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

While the manager is answering Grandma's question mom is standing at the other end of the counter. "Excuse me." Pause. "Excuse me." Pause. "Excuse me." Pause. "Excuse me." Pause. "Excuse me." Pause. "Excuse me." Pause. "Excuse me."
                              Sheldon Cooper: *knock knock knock* Penny? *knock knock knock* Penny? *knock knock knock* Penny?
                              Coworker: Distro of choice?
                              Me: Gentoo.
                              Coworker: Ahh. A Masochist. I thought so.

Comment

Working...
                              X