Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just Closed or shut down for good? (sorry long)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Closed or shut down for good? (sorry long)

UPDATE finally found out the woman who owns the shop has had health issues so she gets to it when she can which means why there are no posted hours she has been away for a while.

FIRST let me state that I DO understand that some businesses cannot afford or do not want over time and do opening procedures AT opening instead of before hand as I've worked at places that have done that in certain departments with a line of people already waiting on you to open. Kinda hard to know whats going on with no hours posted though.

This happened just now this morning. JUST GOT HOME from this.
    went to the local baby store that is rumored to buy used baby things or rather...it at least good condition baby things and clothing. I say rumored as I did not get to go in.
    I THOUGHT the place opened at 9am. Got there a little after 9:40 saw no one in the parking lot or store. So we went across the street to do our banking as that was next on the list. Get done its 9:50am, so we sit in the parking lot, and just as we pull in and I get out this other woman pulls up and asks if I work there. Hubby says no she's going to check the signs.

Here's the thing, the store next door painted moved on their windows and the address they moved to. The baby store MUST still be in business if:
    They have baby store parking only signs on both sides of their windows (and towing notice)
    the parking lot spaces are painted with the initials of the bay store which what looks like fresh paint done in the last few weeks.
    All the stuff in the window looks new-ish.
    Someone went to the trouble to post hand written signs of "Smile you're on camera" right under the store parking and tow zone signs.

The only thing that gets me wondering is there are NO posted hours on the windows, nothing, no clue to let you know when they open there IS however an ad for baby sitting in the window on pink paper. So from the road it looks like a faded government red sign almost.
    My thoughts are ok, if you're still in business wouldn't it be a GOOD IDEA to have posted hours? Easy to find signs at the hardware store or some grocery stores or heck write it on the same paper you wrote the smile you're on camera stuck and tape it to the door!
    I REALLY wanted to go in and see if they would take my daughters clothes. Had planed to turn around and spend it on bigger clothes for her anyways! Buuuut I guess they don't want my business?

We had to leave at 10:01am because the van has no ac and it was already scorching out. (I had the windows open, had DH park in shade and a breeze was going.

I'm going to be mad if they were open not five minutes later.
    Last edited by Midnight12; 06-25-2010, 10:06 PM.

Could just be that it's a mom and pop type of place, and they open and close when they please.

Or even chain places like Subway, if they are just owned by a single person...like the one by where I live (they own all the Subways in town), this particular one is ever open before 9 am, all Subways are supposed to be open by 8:30 am. It's either shitty management or owners.
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

i guess. but if they were going to spend the money to pain the parking lot and get new signs....why not put up store hours...but this is me being grouchy cause i'm running low on baby clothes that fit and aren't winter clothes

Comment

You aren't being unreasonable at all.

If you lived closer to me, I'd say come shop here. There is one store that takes used baby clothes and pays you for them, and you can also buy used baby and kid clothes for really cheap. It's right next door to a secondhand brand name clothing store for ladies
        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I would look up their number and try calling them to find out before driving down there again..
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

At the least, they could put up a sign:

Click image for larger version

Name:	business_hours.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	2029605

This is why I couldn't run my own business, as those would tend to be my hours of operation.
            Labor boards have info on local laws for free
            HR believes the first person in the door
            Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
            Document everything
            CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Lexia, I'm wondering if they are down for interior remodeling as well and you may have missed a notice put up about that. I know a couple spots around here that had lovely notes saying that they were closed for remodeling and then when the workers did the windows never put the signs back up and so the places were constantly fielding calls of 'if they are open or not'.

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
                Lexia, I'm wondering if they are down for interior remodeling as well and you may have missed a notice put up about that. I know a couple spots around here that had lovely notes saying that they were closed for remodeling and then when the workers did the windows never put the signs back up and so the places were constantly fielding calls of 'if they are open or not'.
                I have seen that too. Saw the huge pre-made signs in the window, next day no signs, a day later a hand written sign "clsed for remodeleing will reopen <date that was two days ago.>" Yes, that is how it was spelled.

Comment

Could also be a case of somebody having an accident/getting sick and not being able to get there on time to open..
                  The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

and i forgot to add. being the r-tard that I am did not look up at any time, so even if there WAS a shop name, they didn't have it up, and NO they didn't have a phone number posted either and mapquest isn't finding them either and not going to mess with google maps either (still frustrated but now its my own problem)

yes blas i would love to move there, your area sounds choice. if only for the shopping lol

oh yeah i thought about that too neecy. but hubby was driving and it was his call. daughter was also starting to sweat badly so we HAD to go. when we got home the back of hubby's shirt was drenched in sweat. I'd worn lose clothing and dressed daughter in light clothing and had to change her and my shirt as well. its humid today. one of these days i'll put the awaited rant about the van and mother in law up

Comment

Posted hours are great for business... they're hurting themselves by not posting any. If the hours are posted and nobody's there, you know something's wrong, too. If there are no posted hours I don't go out of my way to go there.

Comment

This was a problem at the store next to my dad's. It was an embroidery shop that looked like it did nice work, when you could get in the door. There were no posted hours; people kept coming to dad's shop to ask if he knew when they would be open.

The irritating part? I walked over there one afternoon (maybe 3 months after they opened) because I noticed a sign in the window when I pulled in the parking lot. The sign said something along the lines of "Wah wah wah, we closed because everyone who should have shopped here went to Walmart instead, this town sucks."

Yeah, your failure has nothing to do with never being open, or your two other locally owned competitors that have regular hours and do nice work. It is Walmart's fault.

Comment

when I worked for the giant Q subs the owner refused to advertise (for anything but catering, which was about 3% of our business), only stayed open till 7 PM M-F, closed at 4 on Saturday, and never opened on Sundays.

He would call at night and ask what we were doing for sales that day. If he didn't like the amount he'd tell us to clean up and close early.

He employed people who openly insulted customers, and wouldn't fire them if the customer complained.

When the place went under a mere 9 months after opening he blamed it on "this town being too in love with Subway" and "not being ready for a giant Q subs"

Comment

In my hometown their is a used music store that is open from 4 until 6 weekdays, unless it isn't, or he decided to open early. Also I have walked into the store a few times and nobody was there, not even a worker.

Next door is the guy's brother who is a barber. He had regular hours but was closed Wednesdays because he told me "Wednesdays are my Sundays" he was also closed Sundays.

Comment

Quoth wagegoth View Post
                              At the least, they could put up a sign:

[ATTACH]2526[/ATTACH]

This is why I couldn't run my own business, as those would tend to be my hours of operation.
                              Love it,

We have a small pottery near us, they list short hours a few days a week, plus "other times when we feel like it".

At least they're honest and up front

Madness takes it's toll....
                              Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Working...
                              X