Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's worth more than that! And other tales of Gold.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's worth more than that! And other tales of Gold.

We had a gold buying stand move-in a couple months ago. All the employees are nice people. Too nice, and they get abused constantly!

Just about every day is someone wanting a value on a piece of jewelery. They check it, then of course the person doesn't want to sell it, they just wanted to know how much their significant other spent, and get pissed when they hear the value. Now, they're completely not understanding that the 10 or 80 dollars they're being offered is the value of the GOLD; it DOES NOT take into account jewelery brand, any stones, if it's an antique, etc. Sooooo, they always complain:

"It's worth MORE than that!!!" And usually stomp-off all insulted. If you want an APPRAISAL, go to the jewelry store 3-stores over; they'll only charge a $70 fee

Then they get the people that want a rough estimate, then say they plan on selling the piece at the place down the street.

And then there's the ones who find out their necklace from the boyfriend isn't real gold. They insist it is! Umm, if it sticks to the magnet, it is NOT solid gold!

Aaaand finally, the people that go through the entire evaluation process, decide to sell their gold, then refuse to show their ID (which the stand needs for it's records, to keep histories, ensure the jewelery isn't stolen, etc.); heck, you have do do the same at a bar or pawn shop, but noooo, the stand "Doesn't need my ID! It's not like I stole this!" It always turns into an argument that they feel they're being accused of being thieves.

The last one happened yesterday. The Lady running the stand even told me she'd been nice and offered the customer a little more to match what another store was offering.

Oh, and because of all the people using the stand as an 'appraisal service' they're going to start charging to check jewelry
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

I'm glad the stand is going to start charging for even their most basic service, since they are obviously getting taken advantage of by these horrible people. These idiots need to realize that there are not many services anymore that are offered free of charge, and the main reason is because of stories like this.
    "So, let's build a snowman! We can make him our best friend. We can name him Bob or we can name him Beowulf! We can make him tall, or we can make him not so tall!"

Comment

Even if they DO get it appraised, it'll probably likely come up less than the significant other paid for it. I know my engagement ring does, and the appraisal was done by the store that designed and built it.
      It's little things that make the difference between 'enjoyable', 'tolerable', and 'gimme a spoon, I'm digging an escape tunnel'.

Comment

Quoth LadyAndreca View Post
        Even if they DO get it appraised, it'll probably likely come up less than the significant other paid for it. I know my engagement ring does, and the appraisal was done by the store that designed and built it.
        Of course it will.

The value an item in terms of raw materials is always less than the price tag on the shelf. The retailer needs to make money to pay rent, utilities, salaries, and to make a little profit.

Comment

for an appraisal it might be better to take it to a jeweler with a good rep
          and tell them you're getting it done for insurance. they might give you a higher quote.

though keep in mind that's an insurance quote. if you want to sell it, you won't be getting that amount (especially if you're selling to a "we buy gold" store or to a pawn shop)

Comment

I'm kinda surprised they didn't have a policy that if you didn't sell the piece to them after they appraised it that they would be charged. That's what I would have done. If you sell it to me I'll waive the fee, if you don't I assume you just wanted an appraisal and so I'm charging you for the service.

Comment

Working...
            X