This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Private elevator

I live on the 8th floor of my building, so I usually take the elevator to get up or down. This morning though, the elevator apparently didn't work. Normally you can hear it moving in the shaft, but now nothing happened after I called it. It's not that big of a deal, I took the stairs down and a couple of floors down I pass a pregnant women, waiting for the elevator as well. She gave up and took to the stairs. When I got to the ground level, there was a couple of people chatting and ... one of them was holding open the elevator door so that it couldn't leave the ground floor.

Quoth Festival_Worker View Post
    I live on the 8th floor of my building, so I usually take the elevator to get up or down. This morning though, the elevator apparently didn't work. Normally you can hear it moving in the shaft, but now nothing happened after I called it. It's not that big of a deal, I took the stairs down and a couple of floors down I pass a pregnant women, waiting for the elevator as well. She gave up and took to the stairs. When I got to the ground level, there was a couple of people chatting and ... one of them was holding open the elevator door so that it couldn't leave the ground floor.
    Nothing like inconveniencing others so that you yourself aren't inconvenienced even though it is very likely the elevator will be back by the time they finish thier conversation. My favorite is the people that have to have their conversation right inside the entrance and generally in such a way that you can't get around them.

Comment

That annoys me anywhere and everywhere. Can't you sit down somewhere or find somewhere better to talk?
      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth mikoyan29 View Post
        Nothing like inconveniencing others so that you yourself aren't inconvenienced even though it is very likely the elevator will be back by the time they finish thier conversation. My favorite is the people that have to have their conversation right inside the entrance and generally in such a way that you can't get around them.
        I have been known to accidentally run those people over with my buggy. Complete by accident of course. Wouldnt think of doing it on purpose

Comment

Quoth Festival_Worker View Post
          When I got to the ground level, there was a couple of people chatting and ... one of them was holding open the elevator door so that it couldn't leave the ground floor.

I would have gotten on the elevator and gone back up a floor or two......
          There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

There should be a special stick to hit them with. A Nerf bat. Something.
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I'd have let them know that that should be careful not to hold the elevator door open, because it means no one else can use it. Because they didn't know this a heavily pregnant woman was having to walk down the stairs.

If they're going to act like complete idiots I will assume that is the case.

Comment

Quoth It's me View Post
                I would have gotten on the elevator and gone back up a floor or two......
                ...got out after sending the elevator to the top...

To collect anyone else who was still waiting, of course!
                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Nothing like inconveniencing others so that you yourself aren't inconvenienced even though it is very likely the elevator will be back by the time they finish thier conversation.
                  Or even continue the conversation in the elevator...

that is what I liked about the dorms, after a certain amount of time the elevator lets out an alarm sound and will start closing with just enough force that it won't cause injury but enough to get the point across (I assume that the doors would open again if the person did not clear out by the time they reach a certain point as a safety against getting anyone who legitimately can't clear the door getting stuck)
                  If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

My favorite is the people that have to have their conversation right inside the entrance and generally in such a way that you can't get around them.
                    I've been threatening for years to get a federal grant to study this phenomenon and its cousins. The people that stop upon entering the doors and the people that stop just after getting off and escalator.
                    It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Had you confronted those people they would have gotten pissy and insisted that they'd only been talking "just a minute." People like this lose all concept of time while holding up the world.
                      Women can do anything men can.
                      But we don't because lots of it's disgusting.
                      Maxine

Comment

OMG. I SOOOO hated that when i was in the navy.
                        people would use the passage way for official conversations on stuff and expect everyone else to just 'deal with it'.

which sucked even more if you had the job of cleaning that passageway while they yapped.*

i figure - it's a passageway, NOT an office.

* side note, my solution was to play music while i cleaned. the chatters found that my music meant their favorite hall-chat-lounge wasn't conducive to yapping. eventually they banned me from being assigned there for cleaning

Comment

My favorite is the people that have to have their conversation right inside the entrance and generally in such a way that you can't get around them.
                          Meh I get that in stores all the time. If they ignore me after I politely say excuses me *whumph* obstruction goes away. Lightly of course ^_^
                          My Wajas cave

Comment

See, people like that, I treat like a dog. I give my dog a command to move once, then walk through him. He's learned if he doesn't want me to knee him out of the way, he needs to move when I tell him to. People sometimes need the same treatment. I walk through the middle of the group if they're being annoying and stopping in the middle of a pathway, walkway, or doorway.
                            Coworker: Distro of choice?
                            Me: Gentoo.
                            Coworker: Ahh. A Masochist. I thought so.

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
                              Or even continue the conversation in the elevator...

that is what I liked about the dorms, after a certain amount of time the elevator lets out an alarm sound and will start closing with just enough force that it won't cause injury but enough to get the point across (I assume that the doors would open again if the person did not clear out by the time they reach a certain point as a safety against getting anyone who legitimately can't clear the door getting stuck)

I thought all elevators did this.

In my experience if you keep the doors of an elevator open for too long, generally if its open for a full minute, it will make the most aggravatingly loud, jarring noise. And its of course repeatedly trying to close the whole time. Anything in the way trips the sensor and forces the doors apart, but the buzzing sound it makes is enough to instantly end any conversation.

Comment

Working...
                              X