Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Potential self sighting but rather satisfying. (gross)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potential self sighting but rather satisfying. (gross)

For months, we've been getting calls from our mortgage company and a telemarketing agency. For several weeks they will call once an hour, on the hour, from 9am-9pm and never leave anything but a recorded voice mail message that goes like, "I'm calling with an important message please hold (snapping sound) I'm calling with an important message, please hold (snapping sound) I'm calling..." or my other favorite, "This message is for <Dad's name> Hello? Hello? This message is for <Dad's name> Hello? Hello?". One time we made the mistake of picking up the phone to find out what they wanted...next month, we were charged $28 for "loan counseling" (edit to add: it was added to the mortgage bill).

I've been getting heartily tired of screening the calls for weeks and hanging up the phone on them; plus yesterday I was feeling a little...shall we say...like a hot air balloon. So the next time they called, I picked up the phone, held it to my posterior and let it rip.

Silence ever since. Beautiful, blissful, silence.

(I don't know if I ever would do it again, though.)
    Last edited by ralerin; 08-20-2010, 05:21 PM.
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.-Winston Churchill

Quoth ralerin View Post
    we were charged $28 for "loan counseling".
    how did they charge you for this? People cant just call you up, say some stuff, then send you a bill.
    Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

You can't charge someone for answering the phone. That's insane. Report them to the phone company.

Comment

Edited it a bit.

And yes, I agree.
        Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.-Winston Churchill

Comment

Hey, it's better than an air-horn.

I should try that next time after I've had a lot of cheese. Sometimes I get some really nice squeaky ones amongst the thunder-like ones that send my boyfriend running off to another couch screaming at me.
          You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

you guys fart on things that you put to your mouth.

(edit to add: it was added to the mortgage bill).
            So it was your mortgage company that charged you, not the telemarketing company? I'd fight the charge either way. You have to consent to services.

Comment

I don't fart on the phone personally, but if it got rid of telemarketers, I'd do it. Come on, you only need a few Lysol wipes afterwards.

Comment

Er...you lysoled down your phone? I didn't....However, I've been the only one to use that phone for the better part of a day so it's ok now.

From what I know, Dad did contest the charges (unfortunately, in classic EW action) and obviously, the charges were never reversed. Which is why we've been screening our calls since then. But, once an hour, on the hour, for weeks...

Comment

Haha if I did fart into the phone, I'd probably sanitize it afterwards. I'm the only one who uses this phone.

Farting aside, Dell used to harrass me with calls on the hour pretty much every day until I finally picked up and screamed. I mean, if it was the day my bill was due and I just hadn't went online to pay yet, the calls began. Their operators never could say my name right, that's why I never wanted to answer. It sounded like the National Weather Service when they butcher names of cities.

Comment

Theres got to be an opt-out clause somewhere in your contract.

Comment

*snerk* I gotta try that next time the loan company starts giving me their constant reminders. But just to be on the clean-but-still-funny side, anyone got a vuvuzela I can borrow?
                      My other car is a Mackinaw.

Comment

Quoth Whiskey View Post
                        you guys fart on things that you put to your mouth.

Oookay, you win for "the funniest line I have heard this month."

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                          You can't charge someone for answering the phone. That's insane. Report them to the phone company.
                          Not the phone company . . . the FTC. There are strict rules about how bill collectors can behave. Major fine, in the realm of $10,000, if they break them per infraction.

Calling every hour on the hour is harassment. Sounds like 13 infractions right there.
                          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I screen calls, not because of my own bills, but because there is someone with the same name as me (same first, last and middle initial) who has apparently skipped out on every bill imaginable. Freaked me out the first couple of calls. My first thought was identity theft. But I guess when collectors get desperate to find someone, they'll try any phone listed under the name in hopes of finding the right person. I do check my credit every 12 months just in case...

Now, I just demand the address (no way am I giving them any of MY info). When the address the collector has doesn't match, I let them know they got the wrong person. They always say they are taking my number off their list, but considering the number of calls I still get, I don't believe them.

One of these days I'll actually get my home phone out of my name. I did make sure not to put my cell into my name for just this reason.

Comment

Just call the companies. Someone in texas, with my name, has defaulted on her car loan. I called them, explained I have never lived in texas and that they need to remove my address/phone number. In a polite manner, obviously. I joked with the lady while she checked it out. I havent gotten a phone call or an email since.

edit: demand less. You know how many DEMANDS a collections CSR gets in a day? The more angry you sound, the more theyre going to assume they have the right person and you're just trying to evade (I assume) My call was like

CSR: This is <company in texas> how are you
                              Me: Great thanks, i have a problem
                              CSR: Okay how can I help you
                              Me: well I live in California, have never lived in texas, but I'm getting collections emails/calls about an account/thing in texas!
                              CSR: <collects some information>
                              Me: Its really weird. Here I thought my name was unique!
                              CSR: Haha you know it happens
                              Me: Oh, I know. No bother, but the emails/calls are getting intrusive, you know?
                              CSR: No I know and I've verified your information Ill remove this contact info right now
                              Me: Oh, great thank you!

boom no more calls
                              Last edited by Whiskey; 08-21-2010, 05:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X