X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cookie brat

Not quite a cookie monster, but close.

So, today I stopped in at Subway on my way to work. It's either that or Wendy's because the very last thing I want to do on a day that I work is cook something before going in. Besides, getting some restaurant food makes up for the fact that the next twelve hours are going to be spent scrutinizing little plastic doodads, looking for mutations, flaws, and doodad defects.

Anyway, there was a family ahead of me in line who were having a little trouble with the whole sandwich process. There was a woman who looked to be in her 30's or 40's, a woman who was in her late teens or early 20's, and a little girl. The little girl was causing the trouble.

First, she was entranced by the door buzzer, the one that *dings* every time someone goes in or out of the entrance. This meant that while the two women at the counter were busy asking for things that weren't on the menu or in the array of sandwich toppings -- such as garlic powder -- the little girl was *ding* *ding* *ding* *ding* *ding* *ding* *ding* *ding* *ding* *ding*-ing the door.

Then the girl joined the women at the counter and proceeded to talk, at length, about cookies. The poor girl behind the counter seemed new and was getting flustered at the complicated order the women had finally decided on, and the little girl was not helping the situation. Let me illustrate...

The girl was trying to ring up the order, and the women, who were completely ignoring the little girl, were correcting the counter girl at every turn. And amid this, the little girl kept interjecting her desire for cookies.

Counter Girl: And drinks?

Little Girl: Chocolate chip cookies -- five of them!

Woman: Three drinks.

Counter Girl: Five drinks?

Woman: No, three.

Little Girl: And chocolate chip cookies -- three of them, no four, no five!

And so on. Meanwhile, my order had been completed and was being put together. God help me, it included two cookies. The little girl saw this and asked if those were her cookies, then demanded them. She was reaching for them when the other clerk snatched my sandwich and cookies in their little plastic basket out of her reach.

And thus it went. No attempt to correct the girl, let alone any to tell her to be quiet. You could see the counter girl getting pushed closer and closer to the edge, and it must have come as a relief when the family, little girl in tow, finally pushed off... with 12 cookies.

After that came another family with two little boys, one of whom shrieked and ran back and forth across the restaurant and the other who stood in the middle of the floor and proceeded to bust several moves in time to the Usher song playing on the sound system.

And after they left, finally -- finally -- I could enjoy my sandwich and cookies in peace.
    Last edited by Antisocial_Worker; 10-02-2010, 02:15 PM.
    Drive it like it's a county car.

I'd be turning that kid into the next day's secret sauce!!!
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

I have seen this so many times and feel sorry for the child the parent does not love it enough to answer it.

All they have to say is "yes we will be getting the cookies"

On the bus I have witnessed -

small child looking at something "look mummy look mummy"
      Mummy ignores child
      Child louder "look mummy"
      Mummy continues to ignore child until it pitches a screaming fit thereby annoying all the other passengers.

The number of times I have wanted to say to Mummy "For fuck's sake just speak to the child you are supposed to love".
      Customer "why did you answer the phone if you can't help me?"

Comment

i'm surprised the kid didn't try to snatch your cookies out of your hand anyway claiming they were hers.

Comment

Personally, I was surprised as just how irritating repetition can be.

I quoted that kid verbatim, by the way...

Chocolate chip cookies -- five of them!

She must have said it ten times.

Comment

Quoth hauntedheadnc View Post
            Personally, I was surprised as just how irritating repetition can be.
            She must have said it ten times.

Not the kids fault.A kid will go on repeating something until its parent acknowledges it.How difficult would it have been for the parent to say straight away "yes we will get cookies"?

Comment

Which reminds me many years ago I was at the zoo with my exboyfriend admiring the seahorses.A small child was asking its father over and over

"whats that Daddy?"
              "whats' that Daddy?"
              "what's that Daddy?"

It was too much trouble for Daddy to answer his own child however.So boyfriend told the child "its a seahorse.See how it grips the seaferns with its tail?"

Daddy scowled at boyfriend for having the audacity to *gasp* answer the child, and dragged the childaway by one arm.

Comment

an appropriate treatment for the child's behavior (assuming the parent is, in fact, a real parent):

*playing with the door*

get away from the door, now.

*still playing with the door*

(to the worker) 'excuse me for a moment' *pulls child away from the door*

(order continues)

ok, we'd like blah blah and three cookies.

no! five cookies, fiiiiiveee!

no, three, one for each of us (to the child)

FIIIIIVE! i want FIIIIVEEE!

(to the worker) sorry, cancel the cookies please.

I WANT COOKIES NOW!

(to the child) no, no cookies or any other goodies unless you behave yourself.

only in the ideal world...

the child is lucky, my mom would have snatched me up and removed us from the store, where a few swats on the backside were in play. same applied for baby chains, except he would have gotten nothing and i would have completed my order while he stood in silence.

the bratty kid gets nada...exactly what they deserve.
                look! it's ghengis khan!
                Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
                  I'd be turning that kid into the next day's secret sauce!!!
                  am I bad for finding this kinda funny

I have to agree with chained barista exactly.....kids need to be taught that is NOT acceptable behavior.
                  https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                  Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

re: seahorse.

that part I do kinda understand the parent's reaction. yes he should have answered his child, so she didn't keep asking. however one of the rule's Mom told me was to talk to the parent first vs. addressing the child directly... mainly because parents might think you're some kind of child snatcher.

but yes, it would have been nice if he hadn't ignored her. (though i suspect sometimes parents really want to do just that )

Comment

Quoth badgegirl007 View Post
                      Why am I reminded of Ted Knight's grandson in Caddyshack?

"I want a hamburger...no a cheeseburger. I want a hotdog, I want a milkshake, I want French Fries..."

"YOU'LL GET NOTHING AND LIKE IT!!!"
                      "Turds!"

"SPAULDING!"
                      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Damn this thread.

I was at Subway today and they have this stupid survey going on where if you go online and fill it out and write the code they give you online on your receipt (I assume it's for people who pay with credit/debit cards because not many people want receipts at Subway for cash), and if you bring it next time to Subway you get a free cookie.

I thought of that bratty little girl as I looked longingly at the cookies today.

Then I realized a free cookie is not worth losing a few minutes of my life over a survey.
                        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

How do kids get away with this and why do parents just ignore them? I knew better than to act a fool in public. My mom would throw one of the flip flops she would always wear at me, smack me in the head, and I swear it would return to her like a f*cking boomerang.

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
                            Then I realized a free cookie is not worth losing a few minutes of my life over a survey.
                            Nonsense. Especially if you like peanut butter cookies. Subway makes a mean peanut butter cookie.

And furthermore, I'm honored to have posted anything so memorable that it haunted your head.

Comment

Geez, I know cookies are made of all that is awesome in the world, but it's no excuse to be annoying! If I had done this with my mom she would have probably said "keep on acting like this and there won't be any cookies for the rest of the week!"
                              It is a terrible thing to see and have no vision.
                              -Helen Keller

I got this av from Court Records, made by Croik!

Comment

Working...
                              X