Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoke near the gas pump (includes self sighting)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update!

The owner of the gas station called me today to ask me about the incident in question.

Apparently the manager did admit to the conversation as I described it. His version was that he walked away from me. Mine is that no, I walked away from him and went into the store.

Owner was very nice and seemed to take my complaint seriously. I told him that all I wanted was for someone to reinforce with the manager how unsafe and illegal his actions were.
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

wonder if that manager is still a manager there, or even working

i mean ... a manager who is that unsafe could cost the owner his entire business if it bursts into flames.

Comment

Quoth roothorick View Post
        I have ZERO tolerance for those that endanger my safety. I would've demanded he put it out right then and there, and if he didn't comply I'd yank the thing out of his mouth and put it out myself.
        I would have either Physically laid hands on him, moving him away from the pumps......

Or called the fire department - maybe even 911 - to report such dangerous behavior.

When I used to work for my county's highway department, one of the supervisors gave us a first-hand lesson in why no-one should ever smoke around fuel sources, by taping a lit cigarette to a long pole and positioning the end over a freshly emptied gas can.

Suffice to say, it got the point across to all of us.
        Last edited by Dave1982; 10-14-2010, 01:21 PM.

Comment

I wasn't about to start a fist fight over this, and I also wasn't trying to bend over the owner. I did want responsibility square on the idiot manager. So that's why I called corporate instead of the fire marshal.

I'll have to get Evil Empryss to respond to this thread about her adventures with jet fuel when she was in the Air Force . . . .
          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth ditchdj View Post
            Perhaps if he had an experience with gasoline like I did when I was a kid, he'd know better.

I poured gasoline on a pile of ants to set them on fire. When I went to light it I came within inches of being torched by a large fireball!

Luckily I moved my face out of the way just in the nick of time and I wasn't hurt. But it was good lesson learned because I had a newfound respect for gasoline ever since.
            You were messing around with gas and fire as a kid?
            https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
            Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

one of my classmates messed with the stove - trying to light a cigarette on the burner. I believe she lost most of her eyebrows.

I also saw one of those emergency tv shows where some kid was playing with matches and a gasoline can. he lit the gas and then extinguished it but didn't realize the fumes would burn too and he lit the gas again.

gross warning (he received third degree burns over most of his face). The paramedics said that he was using some choice 4-letter words but they weren't surprised, considering the amount of pain he was in. not sure what happened to the kid afterwards but ... i'm sure he's still scarred from it.

Comment

The following was told to me when I worked on the moon rocket program at Cape Kennedy back in the late 60s.

One fine day on the moon rocket launch site back in the 60s, a worker sat down on some pipes marked "Hydrogen" and absent-mindedly pulled out his cigarettes for a smoke. One of his co-workers saw him and yelled, "What the f**k are you doing?" The guy suddenly realized where he sitting, and put his cigarettes and matches away.
                "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I want to move to Maryland. Close to D.C., actually.

That guy was a moron.
                  "And so all the night-tide, I lie down by the side of my darling, my darling, my life and my bride!"
                  "Hallo elskan min/Trui ekki hvad timinn lidur"
                  Amayis is my wifey

Comment

What a moron. It is obvious from how he responded that he has done it before.

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
                    Plus, it's just common sense to not smoke around flammable things. Back when I worked in the shire horse stables at the country park, I ended up telling people not to smoke in the stables around the flammable straw and hay loads of times; and every time, got abuse back. -.- Especially after I then took their cigarettes and stamped them out. Luckily my boss always backed me to the hilt.

In the petrol station where I now work, we once had to call the company that delivers our petrol after a tanker driver was seen by a member of the public smoking by the flipping tanker.
                    Not only would he have been by the tanker but also by the entrance to the fuel tanks. He should be sacked for that.

Comment

Quoth Eisa View Post
                      I want to move to Maryland. Close to D.C., actually.

That guy was a moron.
                      Don't live in PG County. Place is a colossal sewer.

Southern Charles County is nice . . . avoid La Plata and Waldorf like the plague except when you need to go shopping.

St. Mary's County or Calvert County are where I'd live if I ever moved back to that part of Maryland again. It's a bit of a drive to get to the District (and DC traffic is horrible . . . I'd rather drive in New York City) but the people are really nice and the countryside is beautiful.

Comment

I wanted to move to Anne Arundel County. Got to visit there and I think all of Maryland is just so BEAUTIFUL. Or maybe that's because it was in comparison to my part of Idaho, which...isn't.

I agree with you on D.C. traffic, though...yikes. Small town girl...big city...dang good thing I can't drive yet!
                        "And so all the night-tide, I lie down by the side of my darling, my darling, my life and my bride!"
                        Amayis is my wifey

Comment

Quoth Eisa View Post
                          I wanted to move to Anne Arundel County. Got to visit there and I think all of Maryland is just so BEAUTIFUL. Or maybe that's because it was in comparison to my part of Idaho, which...isn't.

I agree with you on D.C. traffic, though...yikes. Small town girl...big city...dang good thing I can't drive yet!
                          Anne Arundel County is also very nice: Annapolis is there, some good shopping, the Naval Academy (a tourist destination in of itself, history and humma humma! ) But it's getting over developed as things spill out of Montgomery County and Baltimore County.

Funny you mention Idaho: I drove through Idaho when I moved from North Dakota to California. I thought it was really beautiful, especially some of the places on the Snake River. I remember thinking, "Gee, this looks like a nice place to live!"

Comment

Yeah...I went to the Arundel Mills mall with my bf and I was like OMG it's so BIG! I want to see the Naval Academy. And things should stay in their own respective counties and not spill over, dang it.

Heh. Well, some parts of Idaho are pretty. But southeastern Idaho? Not so much. At least not in the ways that Maryland is pretty...like all the TREES! Plus, this is like super conservative religious-ville. So if you aren't those things...it really sucks. But the Snake River is gorgeous, you're right about that!
                            Amayis is my wifey

Comment

Quoth surreal20 View Post
                              When it comes to Maryland ppl..i have found they are some of the RUDEST ppl in the world.
                              Oh yeah? Screw you, pal!

Comment

Quoth Eisa View Post
                                Yeah...I went to the Arundel Mills mall with my bf and I was like OMG it's so BIG!
                                Coincidentally, I was there this past weekend when I was visiting. I love that mall. People act kinda stupid in the parking lot, though.
                                "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Working...
                                X