This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I didn't care enough to try.

This happened a few days ago. I was on the MAX, (A intercity train) going to school.

It was packed, and I had to stand. (No big deal for once! YAY! No pain! WOO ).

One guy was standing next to me. We got to a stop, and he started to move. He then stopped, and just feel over backwards.

People screamed. People panicked. He was lying down on my foot. People were screaming to call 911. I didn't even budge, just looked down at him. He was breathing. His eyes were open and not dilated or bloodshot, just looking around. He coughed a bit. He was sweating profusly. He then got up and just got off the max. He stated he was ok. People wanted doctors to come.

I didn't even bother to call 911 on my cell, didn't press the emergency button by me. (Another person did).

The MAX shut down briefly while the driver came out to check on him. Then we went off. No idea if police came or not.

But I frankly didn't care. At all. Normally I'd try my damnest to help, but my gut instict was he was faking it. I don't know WHY he would do that, nor do I know if he really was faking or he had something happened.

All I know is the hero complex in me just didn't care at all, nor any alarms in my head screaming to do something.

Was I wrong?
    Military Spouse Support.
    http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
    Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

you cared enough to check his condition, noticed he wasnt in danger of anything bad, and went to your normal routine cause nothing seemed wrong. You pass.

Comment

Either he had a mild seizure, or his blood pressure tanked briefly for some reason, would be my guess.

Well, people DO have the right to refuse medical treatment.
      They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Plaidman View Post

All I know is the hero complex in me just didn't care at all, nor any alarms in my head screaming to do something.

Was I wrong?
        Not wrong, but I don't think your hero complex is firing on all cylinders.

If you're not a medical professional, I don't think you're obligated to help in a medical emergency.

Oh, hi there by the way

Comment

Narcolepsy, maybe?
          Women can do anything men can.
          But we don't because lots of it's disgusting.
          Maxine

Comment

Random blood sugar drop that corrected itself?

Comment

There is loads of reasons for falling over and being conscious almost immediately. I hope I would at least help someone up if they were lying on my boot. If nothing else, they may make me miss my stop, lying there .
              The most important thing is that Plaid checked and found that the man was conscious. After that it's the business of the man's doctor and if it is the only time it happens, the cause will probably never be found.

Comment

I probably would have done the same thing......and been hoping he didn't delay the train too much so I wouldn't miss a bus connection.

Sorry...on the max there are loads of nutty people every day you get used to them.
                https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

My first thought... How many pockets got picked during the commotion. The way you described it, it sounded like a staged distraction. If you "pass out," your knees will buckle and you will drop down on your self. Add to that a quick recovery and a hasty exit.
                  Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                  Save the Ales!
                  Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

^I don't know, I've fallen backwards before...I think it depends maybe on where your center of gravity is, like if you're already leaning back, it makes it easier to fall backwards?

Not necessarily staged, but I don't see the point of panicking and screaming, more like making sure he's ok and then going on your merry way.
                    "And so all the night-tide, I lie down by the side of my darling, my darling, my life and my bride!"
                    "Hallo elskan min/Trui ekki hvad timinn lidur"
                    Amayis is my wifey

Comment

Quoth Plaidman View Post

Was I wrong?
                      Nah. Your instincts told you that there was nothing that needed be done, you did a visual check that seemed to confirm what your instincts told you, and then the dude gave further confirmation and took a powder.

There are so many things that we notice around us that never register on our conscious minds but that will affect our reactions. In this case, I suspect you saw something that indicated that it would happen and not be an issue, so when it did happen, your subconscious had already decided it was a non-event.

^-.-^
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
                        If you "pass out," your knees will buckle and you will drop down on your self.
                        Actually, not always true. Was at a party once, & there was one guy who'd been knocking back shots of vodka. After a while, he stopped talking to his mate, blinked a couple of times, then went down. No wobbling. No swaying. No sissy bending at any joints. Just down like a felled tree. We kept an eye on him to make sure he didn't have alcohol poisoning, then just threw a blanket over him, snuck a cushion under his head, & left him to his (rather loud) snoring.
                        "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

It depends on if you are moving or, I suppose, if the car you are in is moving. I've seen a walking person faint and they fell forwards.

Comment

Maybe his balance was thrown off? If you're standing, and accustomed to the movements of a vehicle that you can stand in(IE, a bus), and you've grown accustomed to how it shifts as it goes down the road, your mind and body might not immediately register that the vehicle is no longer movie, and when you go to walk... Down you go. Not that I'm sure that's even scientifically sound an idea, but hey, worth a shot of an idea!
                            Look, a signature!

If every cashier in the world went on strike, retail would come to a screeching halt, even if for a couple hours.

Comment

You've done hero-stuff before, Plaid. I'd be inclined to agree with Andara Bledin. Something subconscious cued you that in this case, intervention was not needed.

Calibrate your hero-ing next time something strange occurs.
                              Seshat's self-help guide:
                              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Working...
                              X