This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crazy ideas from people who don't know computers with a self sighting

Going back quite a few years... back to when broadband was still an infant and most home users still had dial-up (late 90s).

They'd installed dial-up at the ASYMCA on base and several of us liked using our own laptops. Eventually they caved in and let us use them, as long as we still paid the $1/hour price. But originally some of their reasons for trying to say "no" included...

"We don't want any viruses on the computers".
    Um. I'll be plugging the phone line into my computer not yours. Even if I had a virus on mine, it is not going to infect the phone cord.

"You'll screw up the switchboard"
    Apparently my laptop would force the phone switchboard to exchange data at a different rate and then when their computer is plugged back in, it won't synch up properly.

Um. It's dialup. You pretty much get 56K and that fluctuates anyway. Plus it's not going to cause your ISP to transmit at a different rate (also suggested) since I"m dialing to a different ISP.

And for one of the base barracks.
    "Your dial-up connection isn't working because your computer popped a fuse in the system when it sent voltage down the line"

Um sure. First of all I'm familiar with how you set up accounts - everyone else does it one way, you did it a different way. You probably didn't set it up my calling code properly.

Second, one of my friends is staying in this barracks and he let me use his calling code. It worked.

And yes I admit I was an SC here ... mainly because she was trying to convince me that my code won't work because my laptop BROKE the line / fuse. ... yet somehow this broken line works perfectly fine using someone else's code.

aka... you didn't set the account up properly and don't know what you're doing, although i didn't actually say that.

and yes i pissed her off.
    Her: Well it should be working!
    Me: "Should be" and "is" are two different things.

Quoth PepperElf View Post
    And yes I admit I was an SC here ... mainly because she was trying to convince me that my code won't work because my laptop BROKE the line / fuse. ... yet somehow this broken line works perfectly fine using someone else's code.
    Self-sighting? I'd call that troubleshooting...
    » Horse Words «·» Roleplaying Stuff «

Comment

Quoth KabeRinnaul View Post
      Self-sighting? I'd call that troubleshooting...
      the self sighting was my attitude towards her
      she got rather offended when i said the line about "should be and is"

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
        the self sighting was my attitude towards her
        she got rather offended when i said the line about "should be and is"
        I'm sorry. What's the problem here again?
        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
          You see PepperElf actually expected someone to do their job, and that is just rude donchaknow
          If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
            Yeah, I don't see that as worthy of self-sighting, either.

In fact, I used the line about "should be and is" only an hour before reading the thread the first time.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
            X