Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You guys had great police responses. Where I used to live that had that problem, the police would show up at 4 a.m. after an 11 p.m. call then tell us that unless they hear it, they can't do anything. Glad to see they're being proactive, Lupo!
    The original Cookie in a multitude of cookies.

Comment

The worst I have is guys shouting at the TV less than three feet away from my head. 8 AM classes are a pain. Then again, 8 AM Job would be worse.
      "Did you at least ascertain the nature of his curse so that I may know the monstrosity that I face? ... A GIRL? He was... Turned into a girl? WHY WOULD ANYONE DO THAT?" -EGS http://egscomics.com

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
        I feel for you. My first apartment was in the city, and the guy who lived upstairs was a nice guy, but for some reason he saw nothing wrong at all with blasting his (c)rap at 3 in the morning on a weeknight. I called the cops on him so many times, I still remember the number even though I haven't lived in the city in almost 2 decades.

That was one of many reasons why when I was finally able to buy a house, I refused to even look at one that was attached to another house in any way.
        QFT. I did the same thing when I bought my house. I refused to even look at townhouses. I still have issues with noisy neighbors, but it's been on the weekends, and they're generally done by midnight, so I haven't complained.

Quoth lupo pazzesco View Post
        He told me if they started up again, be sure to call it in again, and mention that I've called before, that way it can be logged as a chronic thing, and he (or whichever other officer it is) will have grounds to write them a ticket, and probable cause to enter the apartment, I think is how he said it.
        Quoth Raveni View Post
        Police enforce the laws, not property managers.
        I went through this in California. A woman and her 18 year old son moved in next door. She was nice. He was a leech. He would play his music at 3 am, and it never occured to him people might object. His mother tried to defend him by saying they normally lived in the country and had no neighbors. Which just had me going Who's the parent?

Quoth wagegoth View Post
        True, but property managers are the ones who will have to kick out renters who aren't following the rental agreement. However, calling property management in the morning is a better idea than what is probably the after hours service manned by Gravekeeper and his fellow sufferers.

One time when I called the police, I held the phone up so the dispatcher could hear how loud it was. Police showed up in ten minutes for a non-emergency call.
        Quoth Raveni View Post
        Kick them out for what? Would you like to get kicked out just because your neighbor complained to the office about you? If it isn't bad enough to get the police involved, and there is no damage being done to the property, it would be very hard to convince a landlord to get rid of a paying tenant.
        Noise is a violation of tenancy agreements and management can kick them out. It just depends on the renters market. If rental housing is in short supply managers can afford to kick out bad tenants. My bad neighbor didn't get evicted, and the cops refused to do anything about the noise; they wrote it up as a landlord's issue to solve.

I did succeed in getting obnoxious son banned from the property, since his name was not on the lease.
        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth lupo pazzesco View Post
          The current time here is 11:52 p.m.

for the second time in two weeks, my brand new upstairs neighbors have decided this is a FANTASTIC time to play loud music. Loud music that quite literally, makes MY bedroom window shake, and I'm one floor below them. I waited to see if they would turn it down when I first woke up and checked the clock to see it was 11:30-ish.

The first time this happened, I reported it to the leasing office. Property manager said she would issue a notice to them, and that next time, I should call the police.

I have to "wake up" in just over 4 hours to get ready to go to work. It's now 11:53.

Guess who Lupo just called?(
          We have a security patrol for just this kind of thing. Call them, they come tell the idiots to cut it out, and it gets reported to the office.

The people that used to be behind me were watching "Law & Order" at 3am once. How do I know this? The TV they had in their bedroom was so loud, it sounded like it was in my bedroom.

Quoth Panacea View Post
          Noise is a violation of tenancy agreements and management can kick them out. It just depends on the renters market. If rental housing is in short supply managers can afford to kick out bad tenants. My bad neighbor didn't get evicted, and the cops refused to do anything about the noise; they wrote it up as a landlord's issue to solve.
          There's something in my lease specifically addressing the residents "quiet enjoyment" of their apartments.
          It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
            I went through this in California. A woman and her 18 year old son moved in next door. She was nice. He was a leech. He would play his music at 3 am, and it never occured to him people might object. His mother tried to defend him by saying they normally lived in the country and had no neighbors. Which just had me going Who's the parent?
            There once was a guy on my block who would do that. As long as the tunes stopped by 10pm, nobody cared. But, the last couple of months he lived in that house...it got worse. The parties seemed to go on all night. He'd been warned by the cops to knock it off. This time though, he was dealt with by another neighbor. A neighbor...who had some 'connections' to Pittsburgh's underworld. After the loud music woke his daughter up again, he went over there with a bat, and uh, "took care of the problem" That was the very last party he had. Can't understand why
            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

For some reason, I read the title of this thread and pictured Lupo storming past some hipster and snapping, "Your taste in music sucks!" and the hapless hipster burst into a pile of coins in shock.
              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

If this guy is blazing up he shouldn't be bringing attention to himself by blasting the stereo.
                But the weed itself is no reason for anybody to get their drawers in a knot...

Comment

Yes, I agree with Wagegoth. I understand that it's up to police to enforce local laws, but most apt buildings have rules and the property managers need to enforce these.

Someone I work with has made multiple complaints about certain people in her building breaking the rules, but nothing is ever done. It's stuff that doesn't necessarily break the law but makes life very unpleasant for others in the building. However, the management office at her place is always right there when the rent is due (I know, she should move. Lord knows why she doesn't).
                  When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                    For some reason, I read the title of this thread and pictured Lupo storming past some hipster and snapping, "Your taste in music sucks!" and the hapless hipster burst into a pile of coins in shock.
                    One Evil Ex Down, Six to go?

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                      There's something in my lease specifically addressing the residents "quiet enjoyment" of their apartments.
                      Same here. Although what constitutes "quiet enjoyment" is up for debate. Our downstairs neighbor can hear the people above us at times. When those kids aren't in school it sounds like they're reenacting Minas Tirith up there and vibrations get transferred through the walls.

We know that the previous 2 tenants in that unit were evicted for noise complaints and they weren't quite as bad as these two; management is capable of throwing someone out, why don't they do it in this case?
                      Last edited by Dreamstalker; 02-18-2011, 05:34 PM.
                      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                        reenacting Minas Tirith up there and vibrations get transferred through the walls.
                        Minas Tirith? or Helms Deep?

Sorry, that was my Geek showing....
                        I am well versed in the "gentle" art of verbal self-defense

Once is an accident; Twice is coincidence; Thrice is a pattern.

http://www.gofundme.com/treasurenathanwedding

Comment

Possibly both, MT was mom's remark. Every so often when they're being really loud I expect to see something launched out the window (now that would get them evicted).

Were it not for the fact that I really like the downstairs neighbors and sound generally travels downwards I'd come up with some interesting methods of revenge.
                          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Had something kind of like this happen a few years ago in my (now-former) apartment complex - the family in question lived in a different building, but apparently the husband/boyfriend would blast his stereo so loud during the day that the neighbors were complaining and on the verge of wanting to move out. (considering how sound-proof the walls are, the noise must have been REALLY bad)

Comment

Once upon a time, I had a neighbor who liked her music LOUD. So much so that the second time I called the cops on her (you read that right, 2nd time) the call went like this:

Me: I'd like to file a complaint...
                              Dispatcher: Sir, I can't hear you, can you turn the music down?
                              Me: If that were from my apartment, I would, it's coming from next door.
                              D: We'll be RIGHT OUT. <click>

And ten minutes later the same cop as the first call came out and gave it to her, ending with, "If we have to come out again, we WILL confiscate your stereo."
                              Cut to the THIRD time the music was loud, but this time turned up by one of her gang-banging homeys. I didn't have time to call the cops, though, because seconds after he did so, she ran into the apartment and turned it off, telling him "I don't want the cops to take my stereo!"

Stereo wars is a battle that can be won, but only when the local constabulary is amenable to it.
                              I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

Glad to see the cops in your hometown are being proactive. When we had the "little drummer boy" above us, the police didn't do anything (they never to anything about noise complaints around here). The landlord told them off, but that didn't do anything.

If you told these guys to be quiet, they'd be all, "You talkin' to me?" and then they'd charge at you. We slammed the door shut and locked the deadbolt before we found out what they'd do once they got to us. They eventually got evicted -- I think it was because they fell behind on rent (and my landlord is usually pretty laid back about that, so you have to be way far behind before he kicks you out).
                                Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Working...
                                X