This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you NOT play for FIVE MINUTES?!

So I was at the state's Medieval Fair over the weekend, which in itself was quite interesting (see my massive long post about it in the Off Topic section). To officially "open" the fair, the different re-enactor groups marched into the main arena and listened to the opening ceremony, which was mainly thankyous and such. Then it got interesting.

A little bit of background here: at most formal events, one of two ceremonies will take place. Both of these ceremonies will acknowledge the existence of the Aboriginal people who lived (or do still live) in that area and to respect them. The short form consists of a simple few lines thanking that particular group, usually said in English and if possible, in the language of that group. The long form involves an elder of that area (i.e. the Kaurna people, the Anangu people etc.) performing something for those present. The latter is what took place here.

We also had an Aboriginal elder perform a smoking ceremony for us, which was quite simple and sweet, as I'd never seen anything like it (basically it involved him fanning smoke in all directions while chanting in his language, then explaining that he was welcoming our ancestors: not just his, but everyone's ancestors.). However, during part of the ceremony where he was smoking the mayor of the town where the fair was held (I'd also assume it was sort of like a smudging ceremony), some very odd music started playing from our immediate right. At the time we assumed it was the Arabian group that were located directly behind and to the right of the arena, but it turns out that it was a small group of roving musicians who HAD to play their hurdy-gurdy during the ceremony.

If I had the chance, I would've ripped into them-is it possible to NOT play that music for FIVE minutes while something important is going on? It's not only rude to everyone else present, Aboriginal or not, but it's also EXTREMELY disrespectful to the elder present.

Although on a sidenote, I was surprised at how the Elder managed to brave the cold-all he had on was body paint and what appeared to be a loincloth (with underwear underneath) on-and this was before and after the ceremony too! Whereas little ol' me in a linen tunic, woolen apron and leather shoes was FREEZING!
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

That's really cool, I'd love to see something like that...

But without the badly-timed music. How rude.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
      That's really cool, I'd love to see something like that...

But without the badly-timed music. How rude.
      It was for me as I'd never seen a long ceremony either. Usually my ceremonies surround the Kaurna people and consist of the short form. This guy spoke the Ngarrindjeri language, and was from that area, but not sure which specific group he belonged to (the Ngarrindjeri area is 18 different tribes).

A LOT of different towns and suburb names have Aboriginal roots to some extent-for instance, the town of Gumeracha is derived from an Aboriginal word meaning "Fine waterhole"

I really like hearing some of the mythology from the Aboriginal tribes-it's known as Dreaming stories or the Dreamtime. A common theme with these is based more on the fact that the animals/people weren't created from thin air, rather they were there to begin with, but received their differences due to other events. One of my favourite stories is:

How The Birds Got Their Colours

Another one is How the Kangaroos got their tails

But yes, the music was quite rude. And not only was it irritating, it was EXTREMELY disrespectful to the Elder himself and to the other groups.

Comment

Sounds like my old Jazz Combo class. Every guitarist (and there were a lot of them) had to doodle around a little bit while the conductor was speaking.
        "We were put on this Earth to fart around, and don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise." -Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

In the Netherlands we had something like that too. (Some pagan thing) Except that when that band tried to play 4 (!!!!) re-enactment groups charged towards them... For somereason they decided to quit playing

Comment

Quoth Yarnil View Post
            In the Netherlands we had something like that too. (Some pagan thing) Except that when that band tried to play 4 (!!!!) re-enactment groups charged towards them... For somereason they decided to quit playing
            That would've been funny.

In our case it wouldn't have been possible as the groups at the fair seem to not like one another. We get along fine with the Kings Horses guys (they also fight with us) and a few members here and there from other groups on a one-to-one level (ie. I'm friends with Nyoibo, some of the other members have friendships within the SCA and so on), but overall we don't seem to get along with the groups themselves.

Kings Horses-jousting group. THey actually do joust and it's awesome to watch. They also fight with us.

Comment

That musical group WAS in the wrong.

I am a rennie myself. (I work/play/live renaissance faires here in SoCal.) And part of the training we get (yes, many classes are required for some faires) is this: you tone it down when street-gigging past a stage show.

I hope you had an enjoyable time, and it sounds like it was a beautiful ceremony - except for some self-centered musicians who don't realize the demands of live, interactive theater.
              I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

Quoth Captain Trips View Post
                That musical group WAS in the wrong.

I am a rennie myself. (I work/play/live renaissance faires here in SoCal.) And part of the training we get (yes, many classes are required for some faires) is this: you tone it down when street-gigging past a stage show.

I hope you had an enjoyable time, and it sounds like it was a beautiful ceremony - except for some self-centered musicians who don't realize the demands of live, interactive theater.
                Yeah, this was a ceremony that they would be aware of, so I get the feeling that they won't be welcome back next year.

Comment

Working...
                X