This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desert Drunky

Last weekend The Boys and I joined my parents in the desert to celebrate Mother's Day, Father's Day and (most importantly ) my birthday. (We only get to see each other a few times a year so usually celebrations are lumped together) It was a great trip but there was one bit of craziness that I had to share.

One night my parents treated us to dinner at a nice BBQ place. Baby Spork wasn't feeling well so my SO took him outside while my parents and I finished dessert and paid. When we left to find The Boys we met Drunky. *quick background note: This shopping center had a HUGE parking lot and they are awesome in the fact that there were people driving golf carts to take you to and from your car...very nice!* Drunky as the name notes was VERY clearly drunk. Stumbling, slurring his words, laughing at random things...anything that is stereotypically drunk..this guy was it. He was walking circles (literally) around his female companion, who seems sober enough, and babbling something. My parents and I snickered a bit but didn't really pay much attention since we were going the opposite way. Eventually we find The Boys and headed out to the car.

As we step onto the street we cross in front of a golf cart filled with people including Drunky + friend. Drunky starts yelling. "Get out of the way! Can't you SEE that we were driving?! Don't you know that I have to be somewhere?" It should be noted that by the time he finished his first sentence we were out of the way and walking to our car and the cart has already started to go. We get to our car which happens to be across from Drunky. Drunky + Female are chatting with the driver and wait..he has keys in his hands...wait...Female's not letting him drive is she? SHE IS!! HOLY CRAP! FAMILY! GET IN THE CAR!! GO! We scramble to get ready (not easy with a 18 mo) while Drunky trys to figure out how to open his car and Female is now showing pictures to the driver. As we're pulling away Drunky and Female have finally made it in and he FLOORS THE CAR INTO THE BACK OF THE GOLF CART into the spot we had just left! If we had been any slower he would have rammed the cart into our car! My dad pulled over and made sure that the driver was ok (she was thank god!) and he calls the cops and gives them and description of the car and plate info. A Supervisor of the center (I assume Driver radioed in) came over and took statements from my parents (SO and I were trying to kept Baby Spork entertained) and we finally were on our way home.

A few miles down the road we see water shooting all over the road and lights flashing. A car had hit a fire hydrant along the main drag. Yup! Drunky strikes again! and the police had him face down on the sidwalk and Female was being held back while she screamed at the police holding him. We just smiled and AHH Karma!

*note: I apologise if any of the above is a bit choppy. I'm typing this with my son on my lap and have had to delete and retype most sections. *
    Now, if you smell the roses but it doesn't lift your spirits, you're either allergic to rose pollen or you need medical intervention. ~ Seshat

oh wow! I'm glad you're all ok.

thank goodness the cops actually got him before he killed someone.

Comment

Quoth Spork4pedro View Post
      A few miles down the road we see water shooting all over the road and lights flashing. A car had hit a fire hydrant along the main drag. Yup! Drunky strikes again! and the police had him face down on the sidwalk and Female was being held back while she screamed at the police holding him. We just smiled and AHH Karma!
      I wonder if these cops knew about the accident that Mr Intoxicated was involved in in the parking lot, or if it was a different set of cops and they'll only find out when they get him to the station. They'll be real pleased with him, if so.

Also, I note that I don't see anywhere in your story where the drunk stopped after he flattened the golf cart.

So what you're saying is, Drunky was not only DWI, but was involved in a hit-and-run, before he took out the hydrant? Sounds like he's gonna be looking at some bars from the inside, and I don't mean the kind of bars that Jester works in.

And why the purple hells wasn't his female companion driving? Even if she didn't know how, better that than someone who thinks he does but can't.

(Maybe that's why she was yelling at the cops; she was trying to tell them that she was driving, and they weren't buying it.)

*note: I apologise if any of the above is a bit choppy. I'm typing this with my son on my lap and have had to delete and retype most sections. *
      Easier to type with a child on your lap than a cat on your keyboard. I've tried both.

Comment

Shalom, to answer your question, yes Drunky just kept on driving after hitting the golf cart (sorry I wasn't clear on that).

We kept wondering ourselves about why the woman didn't just drive. She seemed perfectly sober (but who are we to know). My stepmom mentioned that the cart driver (before being hit) should have just taken his keys and that the center (since they drove him to the car) was partially responsible. I didn't think so since they couldn't legally hold him maybe just stall him and send for a taxi? But IANAL so I really don't know
        Now, if you smell the roses but it doesn't lift your spirits, you're either allergic to rose pollen or you need medical intervention. ~ Seshat

Comment

I'm not sure they'd have been able to get his keys off of him without a fight, if this was how he was acting.

Although, they may have also assumed the sober-looking female was going to be the driver.

Comment

Quoth Spork4pedro View Post
            My stepmom mentioned that the cart driver (before being hit) should have just taken his keys and that the center (since they drove him to the car) was partially responsible.
            I don't think the center could be held responsible if they didn't serve him the drinks. Various places have laws about not serving alcohol to those who are already drunk.
            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
              Easier to type with a child on your lap than a cat on your keyboard. I've tried both.
              Been there, done that.

Back on topic, I'm glad no one was hurt. My wife's sister got hit by a drunk driver, right in front of the police station, no less. She got hit pretty hard, and I think ended up with a dislocated hip. Her daughter was also in the car, but she wasn't hurt.

It was bad enough the guy hit her in the first place, but then he tried to take off. He didn't get very far. He slammed into some parked cars, and damaged his vehicle to the point that it was no longer driveable. Didn't take the cops long to get him, since it was right outside of the station.

She ended up getting a nice settlement from his insurance company. Her daughter got some money as well. It's in a trust fund that she can't touch until she's 18.
              Sometimes life is altered.
              Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
              Uneasy with confrontation.
              Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Working...
              X