This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That Isn't Silver and Prices Change

Mr. Dips got to listen on on two SC encounters that his co-worker, Barb, got to deal with yesterday.

One of them was a guy who said he had a bunch of silver proof coins to sell. When he put them on counter they were neither.

Cue a huge argument. Apparently if the truth hurts, you're supposed to yell at it. At least he left before getting kicked out.

The second person was a woman who was selling siver coins for boullion value. She stated she had called last week. Barb greeted her and asked to see the coins. Some of them weren't silver. At least the lady accepted that and let Barb set those aside. Then Barb tallied up the silver and gave her a price. She turned into an instant SC and started yelling that wasn't the price she was given on the phone last week.

Barb quietly pointed out that prices fluctuate and people asking for phone quotes are explicitly told that any quote is only good for x hours.

Cue the SC screaming for a manager. The owner was on the phone so Barb told the SC he'd be with her when he got off the phone. At least the SC was willing to wait quietly.

So the boss comes up to deal with it. He ended making an offer lower than Barb's.

Apparently the actual price (less spot) had dropped bit lower while the dummy had been arguing with Barb. She ended up deciding not to sell.

Bonus Post Office Sighting

Apparently another co-worker spotted a woman in the post office arguing with a clerk because she wouldn't help her fill out a FedEX shipping form. The fact that the Post Office and the FedEX are competitors didn't matter to her.

Apparently whent he clerk tried (out of kindness or desire to get the stupid woman out of her face, who knows?) to give her directions to the nearest Kinko's/FedEX place the SC loudly blamed the clerk because the SC herself didn't know where xxxx street in xxxx city was.
    The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

I found a silver quarter as a part of change once, and a bit of research told me that it's content was worth no more that $4. Since it was minted the year of my dad's birth I decided to give it to him, instead.
    "IT stands away, interrupting himself from the incessant hammering of the kittens…"

Comment

Quoth Bloodsoul View Post
      I found a silver quarter as a part of change once, and a bit of research told me that it's content was worth no more that $4. Since it was minted the year of my dad's birth I decided to give it to him, instead.
      On the other hand, it was worth 1600% of its face value.

I've got a handful of silver quarters and dimes stashed away myself. Plus an 1834 German coin that has seen so much use it has almost worn all the markings off.
      The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
      "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
      Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

I hate it when silver prices skyrocket.

My late grandfather collected antique silver Judaica (menorahs, kiddush cups, etc.) When silver was low, these sorts of things were stolen and sold as is, and could often be recovered intact; when silver is high, they get melted down for the metal content, because some stupid addict had no idea that the item was worth many times its value as bullion.

Quoth Geek King View Post
        Plus an 1834 German coin that has seen so much use it has almost worn all the markings off.
        One of the items in my grandfather's collection, which has come down to my father, is what was known as a "matbe'a cos", meaning coin-cup. What happened there was that someone got a silver ruble as a gift from a rabbi, and rather than spending it, he had a silversmith make an engraved cup with the coin as the bottom. You look inside the cup, and there's the double-headed eagle of the Romanovs; the underside of it has a picture of Tsar Whomeverski and a date in the early 1800s. The interesting thing about that was that the owner and/or the silversmith could have been sent to Siberia for doing that; it was considered defacement of currency, and was extremely illegal.

Comment

Working...
        X