X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I look poor?

In case you don't know, I'm a teacher.

Right before last school year started, I decided to get new windshield wipers. So I went to this car parts shop that keeps almost everything behind the counter, so you have to go to the counter and ask for what you want. They also install free with purchase.

(Clerk and I exchange pleasantries and car information. He uses the computer, goes to the back, and comes back holding them.)
    Clerk: These are the cheapest we have. Here ya go.
    Me: Actually, what I was----
    Clerk (interrupting): Look, like I told you, these are the cheapest we have. There are no other ones cheaper.
    Me: Actually, I was hoping for something high quality, since I do a lot of driving.
    Clerk: Oh, ok.

(He uses his computer again, goes in the back, and comes back bringing another set.)
    Clerk: Here ya go. These are $15 (I think, it's been a year) more than those ones. I have another one in the back, but it's another $20 more, so I didn't bother bringing those out.
    Me: Ok. Let's ring those up then.

I was planning on buying the mid-range ones anyway, but looking back, I should've walked out. Oh well, too late now.

At this point, another clerk, maybe manager, walks up and is doing paperwork nearby.
    Clerk, after I pay: Here ya go (hands me my wipers)
    Me: Actually I---
    Manager?: Dude, get out there and install it on her car. We do installations here, remember?
    Clerk: Fine *rolls eyes*

And he did it, but begrudgingly. So by now I only half regret the not leaving thing, because I think the manager was ready to let him know his attitude is not appreciated.

So, I ask again, what about me made me look poor?
    Last edited by TexasT; 06-14-2011, 03:58 PM.

Why didn't you complain? The kind of service you got was lousy. I would have went somewhere else.

Comment

It could have been the clerk's misguided attempt to save his customers money(At least, offering the cheaper blades). He could also be used to customers asking for the cheapest they can get, and it's rubbed off a bit too much.

Though the attitude about installing them was uncalled for!
      Look, a signature!

If every cashier in the world went on strike, retail would come to a screeching halt, even if for a couple hours.

Comment

Well, you know. It was probably less about looking poor and more about looking female.

Sometimes you invite some truly terrible service if you walk into a car parts store while in possession of lady parts. It seems to sometimes make you a certain level of invisible.

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
          Well, you know. It was probably less about looking poor and more about looking female.

Sometimes you invite some truly terrible service if you walk into a car parts store while in possession of lady parts. It seems to sometimes make you a certain level of invisible.
          See, that's just foolish on the part of the workers. There's actually a pretty good chance the woman will know what she's talking about, and I know for a lot of people; women who know about cars = hot
          We Pick Up the Pieces

Comment

That's exactly what I was thinking. You're a girl, so how could you possibly know enough to ask for higher quality wipers?

Now that you mention it, I think mine have dried out and need replacing. Haven't used them since the beginning of February.
            It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

that's what came to mind for me; like rk, i think it was more of the 'female+cars=moron' issue rather than a price related issue.
              look! it's ghengis khan!
              Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

That or prime target for getting swindled. That clerk's attitude was unprofessional and uncalled for all around. He could've asked you what you were looking for instead of assuming you wanted the cheapest thing out there.
                I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

When I went to get my new wiper blades, I kind of knew what I wanted, price wise, as I had done some research. The guy asked me what I wanted, how pricy I wanted to go, etc. I said mid-range, not the cheapest, but I didn’t see the need to get the rolls Royce of wiper blades! He showed me what they had, asked how much driving I did, etc. and recommened some. Then he came out and put them on for me. Total time: 10 inutes.

Comment

Useless without pics?

Comment

Quoth TexasT View Post
                      So, I ask again, what about me made me look poor?
                      It might not be the way you look. It might have been the previous dozen customers that complained about the price.

He should have at least asked if you wanted them installed.
                      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

sounds like he generally just had a bad attitude. Rude/bad customers can do that to a person... but it sounded like even his manager was getting up on that.
                        The clerk probably just wanted you out of his hair, rather than it being you are a lady.
                        "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
                        "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

You probably don't look poor, but every time my husband gets wiper blades he goes for the cheapest ones if they don't have his normal mid-range brand. He says for the most part they're all the same. He's been working on cars for years now.

That doesn't excuse the way he gave you service though. I would call back and talk to a manager.

Comment

Quoth Trishlovesdolphins View Post
                            That doesn't excuse the way he gave you service though. I would call back and talk to a manager.
                            From what was said, it's been the best part of a year, so it's a little late for that :/

Rapscallion

Comment

I'll cast my vote for the girl thing, god knows whenever I got into an auto parts store looking for a part I get treated like I couldn't possibly know what I'm talking about. "Now make sure you put this in the reservoir labeled 'Oil', you sure you don't need help filling it up?".... pretty sure, yes.... I've only done it....a billion times.
                              "I'm not smiling because I'm happy. I'm smiling because every time I blink your head explodes!"
                              -Red

Comment

Working...
                              X