This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Those Aren't Shoes!

My boyfriend and I have owned Vibram FiveFingers for about a year; ours look like this:

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/pro...Sport-Mens.htm

Now that summer's here, we wear them often; so comfortable, like nothing at all, but with good protection on the bottoms of our feet. Lately though, we've been getting a lot of fluff from stores telling us we can't wear them; everything from them being mistaken for socks to them 'not being real shoes.' And these are worse than the 2$ flip flops that family over there is wearing HOW? The majority have accepted that they are shoes when they see the tread, however a few have held their stubborn ground and told us to leave.

I did a search to see if others have had similar problems, but the most I read that the company has recently addressed have been people being told they can't wear their Vibrams at the gym (in case something falls on your foot. Really, you'd get just as hurt wearing tennis shoes as you would these; what's the difference) In some cases, the wearers are just teased.

I'm thinking of asking the company for a certificate I can show in stores to prove I'm wearing shoes!
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

I have a pair of the KSOs and I wear them all the time. Nobody has said anything to me about them, it never occurred to me that anyone would be so stupid as to say something like what you are experiencing.

The gym comments are even stupider. Unless someone is wearing steel toed work boots to work out, the excuse that they don't' offer protection is nuts. Offer to drop a weight on the guy's foot who is saying this, if he's wearing tennis shoes, to prove his point. He won't let you, of course, but it would be interesting to watch him explain why not.

It really baffles me that flip flops are okay when the Vibrams are not. How does that work?

Some people really do act in a bizarre fashion when they see something they've never seen before.

Comment

Oh man, the Treksports rock so hard for trail running. I used to have major toe issues - cramping, overheating, chafing - but now my toes are each in their own little pocket of luxury. Very nearly all the freedom of running barefoot while still affording decent sole protection.

I also have a pair of Bikila LSs that are of a little more subdued coloration, and I tend to wear those if I'm just out and about. I admit I've sometimes worried about the reaction you describe, but haven't encountered it, maybe because they're a little less noticeable.

Comment

Quoth kzc View Post
        I also have a pair of Bikila LSs that are of a little more subdued coloration, and I tend to wear those if I'm just out and about. I admit I've sometimes worried about the reaction you describe, but haven't encountered it, maybe because they're a little less noticeable.
        Yeah, we love ours for camping, and these were the style that fit us best, but no choice of color. I'd like to get a pair in a solid color, but that area more 'dress shoe' look Like these:

http://www.citysports.com/Vibram-Fiv...190025/Product

Thought I can't find this product on the main website and am wondering if it's a knock-off.
        "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Yeah, see, mine are solid black. I don't think people notice them too much.

I don't really get the crazy colors...I mean, it's cool that's an option, but when it's the ONLY option I have to scratch my head. What, the shoes aren't weird looking enough?

EDIT: sweet price on those Smartwool ones.

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
            Thought I can't find this product on the main website and am wondering if it's a knock-off.
            Pretty sure City Sports is legit - the VFF site lists them in their store locator. I did find some results when I did a search for the smartwool model, includind one at the VFF site, but the link just redirected to the main page. Maybe they're discontinued.

Comment

Hmm...I've been curious about VFFs for a long time...and now I know what brand they are and that there's a store only 15 minutes away from my house so I can go actually try some on.
              It's little things that make the difference between 'enjoyable', 'tolerable', and 'gimme a spoon, I'm digging an escape tunnel'.

Comment

I'm considering getting a pair, but I'm worried as I have plantar fasciitis and I don't know if they'd help or hinder it.
                The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

I too have wondered how these things stand up to things like rocks on the road. Will they kill my feet if I run on gravel paths?
                  Getting offended is a great way to avoid answering questions that make you sound dumb. - exmocaptainmoroni

Comment

You can walk on gravel. You feel the gravel texture underneath your feet, but it does not hurt. I am wearing a type of Vibram with a thin, almost skin like sole. No real treads or thickness under there. You can get them with tougher soles than I have, if you feel like you need it. The Treks have thicker soles, for instance. They're for heavier trail use.

Now, please understand I am a lifetime barefooter. I quite literally have feet like a sherpa. We are talking National Geographic level feet here. I am trying to remedy that because I'd like my feet to look like human feet when I wear sandals. So understand that I know how to walk barefoot, my feet are abnormally tough, and when I hit a sharp rock I instinctively shift so that it doesn't injure my foot.

If you are not accustomed to barefoot walking, there will be a bit of a learning curve where your feet and legs relearn how to walk properly. You may get temporarily sore muscles in strange places. You may have to learn how to work with "ground feedback" while your feet re learn how to not slam into the earth so hard. Rocks may me more offensive to your feet at first than they are to mine.

It's worth learning. Your entire lower body will thank you, including your back.

Before you buy, go to the OFFICIAL Vibram's site and learn how to spot knockoffs. I would not buy my first pair online, if I were you. Do not buy from any dealer that does not have a brick and mortar store unless you're buying directly from http://www.vibramfivefingers.com. The quality, from what I understand from reading reviews from people who got duped, is extremely subpar, the materials change the shoe entirely, and I've actually seen where they jack the price way up beyond what the shoe costs so they can pretend to be selling it at a clearance, but in fact it's maybe only ten bucks less than what the real deal retails for. Buy the real thing.
                    Last edited by RecoveringKinkoid; 06-18-2011, 05:10 AM.

Comment

those are pretty sweet; i'd seen a billboard advertising them and thought "wtf is that?" from the description, they sound like i'd like them far more than regular running shoes (is also a barefooter who trims her calluses with a hoof knife ).
                      look! it's ghengis khan!
                      Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

I doubt I can wear them at work, unfortunately. I'm not quite sure they fall under the definition of "closed toe" shoes, and it's a safety issue since the Orange Apron is a warehouse environment.

I actually like walking barefoot, but it's not really a safe thing to do where I live. Too many humans, too much trash. So, I can't toughen up my feet safely for walking outside. I'd heard about the shoes, but first encountered them when a customer was wearing them, so I asked him about them. I've been curious ever since but had no idea where to get them. (I get the same kinds of questions about my shape-ups all the time. Less now that I'm not wearing the classic easily-recognized style, but I still get asked. And I got half a dozen of my coworkers wearing them. )

Oddly enough, I needed to go to that particular store anyways for an unrelated camping item, so I don't even have to go out of my way to look.
                        It's little things that make the difference between 'enjoyable', 'tolerable', and 'gimme a spoon, I'm digging an escape tunnel'.

Comment

So that's what they're called. I've seen them a few times. The first time I saw them was when I was at a 5k run event to support my ex. at first I thought the guy was going to run in just socks.

When I was younger (kid), I used to bravely walk on the grass with pricklies, the gravel and the in the streets of my neighborhood and it hardly hurt. Now I just walk around inside my town house with socks on. >_<

Comment

I've actually never seen those before. They're neat and why the hell would stores care as long as you had some kind of shoe on? Where I live the stores are lucky people are even wearing a shirt or shoes or both. I've seen some crazy tweakers walk around in nothing but shorts and nobody says a word.

Comment

WANT. So bad. Next time I'm in my favourite outlet mall area I'll look for them.

Comment

Working...
                              X