This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth MoonCat View Post
    Only women worry about a term of respect being age-related. Have you ever heard of a man objecting to being called "sir?"

Just sayin'.
    Men have it easy though. They just have "sir". It's a one-age-fits-all term of respect. If they had two they had to worry about like women, they'd bitch just as much as we do.
    my favourite author is neil gaiman. - me
    it is? I don't like potatoes much. - the chatbot I was talking to

Comment

I don't mind being called ma'am. I remember the first time someone called me that, though...I was in my early 20s and a girl who was probably in middle school came to the door to do some kind of fundraising. I didn't take it out on her but I was like...WHAT did she just call me??
      "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
        Have you ever heard of a man objecting to being called "sir?"
        Yeah and he got NASTY about it, too.

I told him I didn't know him but I COULD call him "Ma'am" and he got even angrier. Thank Gods he was a dillweed Tourist or I'd have had to deal with him a LOT.
        Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
          Have you ever heard of a man objecting to being called "sir?"
          It happened in this thread.

I posted this cartoon in response.

"I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I give up. I think from now on I'll just call everybody "chucklehead".
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I will always think Sir and Mr. Mytical are things people call my father..but I am at least not a jerk about it .
              Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

People are just so touchy...I mean, I am certainly too sensitive in some cases but as long as people are nice I can deal with it
                "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Quoth RetailWorkhorse View Post
                  Yeah and he got NASTY about it, too.

I told him I didn't know him but I COULD call him "Ma'am" and he got even angrier. Thank Gods he was a dillweed Tourist or I'd have had to deal with him a LOT.
                  You could always try "Meister" or "Goodman". Meister was generally used for a craftsman, later a ranking member of a guild. Goodman was the generic address for any respectable working man when you didn't know better.

Besides, pulling out the old terms usually stuns an SC until you're out of range.
                  The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                  "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                  Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

If that guy had been a Working Class man then I wouldn't have had to deal with him. He seemed to think he was better than me because I worked in a Tourist Town and he had the money to spend in said Tourist Town.

Jokes on him, though. I knew where all the good spots were and I didn't share (here's a secret: it's NOWHERE NEAR TOURIST TOWN!).
                    Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

I was raised to call older people either Miss/Mr. and their first name (for adults I knew outside of the family)..Miss Denise for example, or by their title and surname..(I'm of Jamaican heritage, btw)..Now, for myself, I don't mind being called sweetie or hon..but if someone called my mother or grandmother that, I would take umbrage because I would feel they're not showing the proper respect..

Comment

Working...
                      X