X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asshats From This Week

The clinic and the Charter guy.

Friday morning I was done with my 4 day week of 12 hour shifts (first time doing that, it was brutal!), and I just knew I'd get too tired to be able to drive home, so I stopped at my parents' and they said I could do my laundry and stay there as long as I needed to to sleep and keep the pets entertained.

First suck was about 9:00 or so in the morning, I was having trouble laying down right away (tends to happen a lot, I am just dead tired but then get restless), so I was feeding and watering the pets and cleaning up the kitchen because my mom had hinted it'd be nice if I did, and my phone rang.

Here's some BG on that. Monday of last week, I attempted to make a payment on my clinic balance. I've always had problems keeping up with those bills and this clinic is downright NASTY about calling you if you don't pay them as much as they want you to right away (they have sent me to collections before because they wanted more than $50 a month and I was sucked into believing they were giving me a line of credit, it was a lie). Anyway, I had tried to pay online and I messed up my account number. So I called their financial services and explained the mistake. The lady was really nice and said that the payment had already gone through, but because the account I provided thankfully didn't exist to anyone else, the money was just floating around, so they'd process a refund for me, and she said that I could wait until I got my money back before I tried again. She also warned me that sometimes it takes up to 3-5 business days before the money will post back to my account.

I checked all week, and by Thursday, it still wasn't there. I hadn't been online yet Friday because I wasn't home and I didn't feel it necessary to use my mom's computer just to see my bank account, I figured it could wait until I got home.

I got the call, and ignored it at first (number I didn't recognize). They left me a message that I had skipped a payment on my account and I needed to call back right away.

I called back and was a tad rude, which I'm really not sorry about. Forgive me, but I do have more important bills to pay than these $50 a month payments that I give to the clinic that they end up telling me aren't "good enough" and they start demanding more anyways usually and threaten to put me back in collections (pardon me, but I thought you had to be not paying ANYTHING to be put in collections.)

I didn't say that, though. I just said that "I'm not sure how you guys keep records of calls, but I tried to make a payment Monday and made a mistake. I am waiting for my money to be refunded and I will send you a payment as soon as it gets back into my account. X who I spoke to on Monday said it was alright." and thankfully, it seemed my attitude worked and they didn't get pushy or threaten collections like they usually do. So being a brat paid off for once.

Anyway, a few hours later I was sleeping and there was a knock at the door. Normally, I don't answer because I don't live there (and usually it's the Jehovah's Witnesses), but I do know that my brother orders a lot of stuff online and he had said something about ordering something last weekend.

So I went to the door and it was a guy from Charter Communications going DOOR TO DOOR to push people to buy their product. Wow, they are really getting desperate!

I told him politely that I was sleeping, I don't live here, this is my parents' house, and they have Charter for basic cable needs already.

The guy said "Yes, but my records here indiciate that your parents don't have internet with us."

I shouldn't have said it, but I said "They have Clearwire which they are pretty happy with for internet."

He said "Well, your parents could get a MUCH better deal with Charter. Let me give you my card here and just have them give us a call."

Yeah, by a "good deal", you mean promising a good rate, but increasing it without telling your customers? Because that's what you've always done to me once every couple of years. By a "good deal", do you mean uprading your customers for "free" (or telling them you will), and then billing them for it anyway, once again without telling them?

Yeah, if I'd been a little more awake, I should have said that. I didn't. I just took his card and went back inside, and later on, my parents scolded me for answering the door.

Charter must really be getting desperate. I told my parents that a couple of months ago, someone from there went around sticking flyers to the doors of our apartments trying to push bundling, even though our cable is provided in our rent and no one here sees the point in paying for more channels. Though Clearwire doesn't service this area of town, I have to have Charter for internet, unfortunately, and I'm not about to deal with them if I don't have to.
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Quoth blas View Post
    (pardon me, but I thought you had to be not paying ANYTHING to be put in collections.)
    I thought so too. I have a small credit card that we had taken out for the cat's surgery (we used my credit score to get it, mom has said many times said she would take responsibility for payment). For some reason it's not possible to just set up a payment plan with the vet, you need to apply for the damn credit card.

Even though I'm at least making the minimum payments, apparently that account is in a collections status (I'm still trying to figure out how/when a payment got missed). Some outfit claiming to be them calls from a revolving door of numbers demanding a payment and a 'convenience fee' for doing it over the phone. I never make phone payments.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Far as I know, unless the company has agreed to a certain repayment plan, the account can be sent to collections at their discretion whenever a balance is past due.

Repossessions have some extra protections, which is why at a certain point of a car loan being overdue, the lender will actually refuse partial payments, or at least partial payments below a certain amount, towards the bill... because accepting a partial payment delays their ability to repossess.

Comment

Quoth bankworking View Post
        Far as I know, unless the company has agreed to a certain repayment plan, the account can be sent to collections at their discretion whenever a balance is past due.
        ^^I second this.^^

Your clinic sounds vicious, Blas. Also, I never answer the door or phone when im going to bed after work. Ive gotten plenty a family member pissed off b/c they cant get ahold of me but eh. Im sleepin.

Comment

They. Just. Called. Me. AGAIN!

Yeah, after Friday morning, when I told them I would pay them again when the refund posted back to my account (which I did check later Friday night and it had posted back, but I figured I'd pay it Monday, which is today), and they call me just moments ago at 8:00 still questioning about when they'll get their payment.

Look, assholes. I am not some schmuck who doesn't pay their bills. In fact, they get two monthly payments from me, because that's the agreement that I made so that they wouldn't send me to collections, since they "Require" a certain amount per month or they'll send you to collections. I understand that I was late because of the mistake I made, but I did not purposely do that, and I have NOT skipped payments as of late, so they have no reason to treat me like a schmuck who doesn't pay my bills. Even IF I had made that payment Friday night, or Saturday, or even yesterday, would it have processed over the weekend? Probably NOT!

Fuck off, clinic. Seriously. You should be happy you're getting anything from me. I don't appreciate for one being told that what I'm paying isn't "good enough" for you, and then you're phone stalking me when I told you that I am waiting for my damn refund before I pay you again.....really, seriously, FUCK OFF.

Comment

Y'ever hear of a term called Phone Phreaking? It's lingo used by hackers in the early days. They're are websites you can use that have the voice of the automated lady speaking the different things that one would hear. I was just joking to my old boss about this.

He needed my cell to reach me for a kickball game today because couldn't get me at my old cell. After that he said that since he has my new cell I can never get out of work. My solution? When someone calls and I don't pick up, they'll hear my greeting, but it will be the automated voice saying, "We're sorry. The number you have reached.. one two three... four five six... seven eight nine zero.. is not in service. " (my real number would be spoken of course). You'd have to alert people on your contact list about the greeting so they know it's still good. If you've got potential employers trying to reach you, I would hold off on it until you have the job though.

Comment

Blas
              The next time they try telling you that what you're paying is "Not good enough" ask the rep if they are "Refusing Payment" -- if you can get them to agree to that, inform them that you are considering the debt resolved and matter closed.

after that, legally they have no recourse and you're free and clear - now getting someone to agree to that can be tricky.... and may require "SC Tactics" to achieve....
              I am well versed in the "gentle" art of verbal self-defense

Once is an accident; Twice is coincidence; Thrice is a pattern.

http://www.gofundme.com/treasurenathanwedding

Comment

And they called me AGAIN yesterday shortly before 3:30 PM while I was sleeping.

Whatever fucking moron from last morning took my payment, made an error typing in my card number. But no, that couldn't be their fault. I must have given them a "fake" card number or one with no money on the account!

If anyone asks why I bother answering their calls, if you avoid their calls, they will send you notification in the mail that you are going to collections. So, there's really no choice. No matter how stupid it seems.

Anyway, so I get a little bitchy and say that that is my bank card, I have the funds, it's obvious the mistake was made on their part. Turns out, IT WAS. Did they apologize? No, not even after surly asking me "Do you have a DIFFERENT card you can use? Are you able to do an electronic check?".........

FUCKING BASTARDS.

I will continue to make my payments, but I am done with that clinic on the basis that I will no longer be "cared for" by a clinic who uses harrassment tactics to get $45 out of someone.

Comment

I would send them a registered letter telling them that you will no longer discuss this debt with them by phone. Also state the terms that you are currently paying them under, just so they're clear that you're not refusing to pay. Not sure if that will work, but in some states they have to stop contacting you by phone once you notify them that you won't discuss it. Might be worth a try.
                  When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Amina516 View Post
                    ^^I second this.^^

Your clinic sounds vicious, Blas. Also, I never answer the door or phone when im going to bed after work. Ive gotten plenty a family member pissed off b/c they cant get ahold of me but eh. Im sleepin.
                    I never answer the phone when I'm sleeping, either. When I worked nights, the ringer on the phone in my bedroom was turned off. It didn't take much to train myself to ignore the phone in the living room during the day.

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                    I thought so too. I have a small credit card that we had taken out for the cat's surgery (we used my credit score to get it, mom has said many times said she would take responsibility for payment). For some reason it's not possible to just set up a payment plan with the vet, you need to apply for the damn credit card.

Even though I'm at least making the minimum payments, apparently that account is in a collections status (I'm still trying to figure out how/when a payment got missed). Some outfit claiming to be them calls from a revolving door of numbers demanding a payment and a 'convenience fee' for doing it over the phone. I never make phone payments.
                    Vets get stiffed so much that they usually won't do any kind of credit or payment plan. They want to get paid in full, up front. Can't blame them really; their profit margins are not that great, and people are notorious for refusing to pay for their animals care.

I never, ever make payments by phone. I pay on my schedule, period. I prefer using my online bill pay because I then have a record of the payment, and I can schedule things around my paychecks so nothing bounces.

Here's the thing about medical bills and collections. Yes, these agents can be VERY nasty. But unless you live in a state where medical collections are allowed to charge interest (California being one), then you don't really get hurt that badly on your credit score by being sent to collections. Creditors don't take medical bills very seriously. Yes, it hurts your score and racking up debt after debt won't help your score. But a few bills paid late will have a minimal impact on your overall score.

I pay my bills too. But I can only pay so much. I'm struggling myself to pay the bills related to my sprained ankle . . . my insurance didn't cover near as much as I thought it should. I'm paying what I can and ignoring the dunning calls.

Quoth blas View Post
                    They. Just. Called. Me. AGAIN!

Yeah, after Friday morning, when I told them I would pay them again when the refund posted back to my account (which I did check later Friday night and it had posted back, but I figured I'd pay it Monday, which is today), and they call me just moments ago at 8:00 still questioning about when they'll get their payment.
                    Next time they call you, tell them that they are not to call you by phone again regarding that account, and that all communication is to be done by mail only as per FTC rules. After that, if they call you it is harassment and they will be subject to a $10,000 fine per violation. They'll stop, trust me.

You'll still owe, and they will continue to bill you but as long as you are making some kind of payment that's all they can do. They might threaten court action, but for a bill like that it would cost them more than they'd gain even if they won.

Quoth Treasure View Post
                    Blas
                    The next time they try telling you that what you're paying is "Not good enough" ask the rep if they are "Refusing Payment" -- if you can get them to agree to that, inform them that you are considering the debt resolved and matter closed.

after that, legally they have no recourse and you're free and clear - now getting someone to agree to that can be tricky.... and may require "SC Tactics" to achieve....
                    Good luck with that one. I tried it once when one of my creditors was giving me a hard time about crediting payments I was actually sending. Didn't work, and I lived in California at the time so they were allowed to charge me interest. It ended up costing me.

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                    I would send them a registered letter telling them that you will no longer discuss this debt with them by phone. Also state the terms that you are currently paying them under, just so they're clear that you're not refusing to pay. Not sure if that will work, but in some states they have to stop contacting you by phone once you notify them that you won't discuss it. Might be worth a try.
                    You don't even have to send a registered letter. If you tell them next time you call, they have to honor it. It covers EVERY state as it is a FEDERAL rule (Federal Trade Commission under the Fair Debt Collections Practices Act).
                    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Oh, don't worry, they send threatening letters in the mail on TOP of the calls.

I don't check my mail as often as I should, mostly because I'm asleep when it comes and have to get up and ready for work........I did check my mail the other morning and there was a nasty-gram in there, informing me that I was "jeopardizing" my "agreement" with them by not making a payment. This nasty-gram was sent to me in between that Monday I made the mistake and this past Monday when I re-did it.

Comment

Working...
                      X